So i have this game on my phone called "ear trainer". One of the exerzises is to hear what inversion a triad is in. I can choose "root position", 1nd inversion and 2nd inversion. The problem is that i just cant hear the diffrence. I can hear what interval being played between 2 notes almost 100%, but i fail at inversions. Can somebody please give me some tips?
Listen to/play music which uses inversions. Ideally baroque, classical and romantic music.
Maybe its a quality thing, for instance there is a clear difference to me between

root and 2nd inversion, but then again im not great at ear training anyway, and outside of a multiple choice quesiton it would confuse me...

f-a-c to me sounds alot different than c-f-a

in root position the whole chord sounds good, in the 2nd one, there is a weird sort of dissonance that i guess is caused by the p4 on the bottom
One common way to learn to hear chords in general is to separate out the individual tones. Sing those tones.

With an inversion, that's just the first step. Having sung them, it shouldn't be too hard to re-order them and sing them again - eg, if you hear a G/D, you'd sing D G B.

Now maybe you recognize right away that the first interval is a 4th, which means that the first note is a fifth of the second note. That should make it relatively easy.

If you didn't recognize the 4th interval between those first two notes, you could just move the low note up an octave and sing the three notes again - now you're singing G B D which should be easy to recognize. The ability to match pitch across octaves is very important, and it's why singing scales is important. As well as singing scales at the end of your range with, so you might sing G A B C (that's the top of your range so you jump down an octave and sing the rest D E F# G, ending on the same note you started with.

As with a lot of ear training stuff, when you start, the process of separating the chord out into it's three (or more) distinct notes and identifying the specific intervals inside the chord seems slow and time consuming. But the more you do it, the easier it gets, and the faster it goes until at some point you've just got the sound of various inversions in your head.
Comfortably, the article is in reality the best on this valuable topic. I harmonise with your conclusions and will thirstily look forward to your coming updates.
Quote by Usernames sucks
So i have this game on my phone called "ear trainer". One of the exerzises is to hear what inversion a triad is in. I can choose "root position", 1nd inversion and 2nd inversion. The problem is that i just cant hear the diffrence. I can hear what interval being played between 2 notes almost 100%, but i fail at inversions. Can somebody please give me some tips?

I recommend putting the software away, and taking an old fashioned approach, for instance you could practice some chord progressions that include inversions on your guitar. If you listen, the sounds of those chords will become more and more familiar to you.

try these..

I - V6 - IV6 - V6

I6 - ii6 - I64- V

I - IV64 - I - IV64
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Apr 8, 2012,