I've noticed when warming up and practising alternate picking using chromatics and scales I always start on a downstroke on the next string even if the stroke before was a downstroke,it seems like second nature to me. It's not one downstroke like a sweep, but more or less one downstroke followed by another.

It's no problem for slow speeds, but when I'm trying to practice at high tempos the downstroke seems to interrupt the up-down motion which makes fast exercises difficult for me. Should I try to 'override' by habit and force myself to go with the alternate picking pattern or should I try to force myself to 'sweep' to the next string (economy picking) instead of two downstrokes?

Thanks
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Godin Velocity
Peavey Vypyr 15 Watt
AMT WH1 Japanese Girl Wah
Marshall BB-2 Boost/OD
Joyo JF-07 Classic Flanger
Joyo JF-37 Analog Chorus
yes. absolutely.

for years I was economy picking and couldn't pick up my speed, then a teacher told me to do alternate only, and it's made a huge difference.

it's a habit so, it will be slightly difficult with alternate at first, but give it a few days at least.
It might well be an advantage doing that in some cases. It's probably worth giving slow alternate picking a good try though and speeding that one up so you can use it at all speeds effectively. I used to just downstroke on stuff that wasn't a good shredfest for years and it improved my constant downstroke speed unbeliebably but it did kind of impair my ability to play a a medium pace drastically
Even a good economy picking technique can't substitute a solid alternate picking technique. Learning alternate picking will feel really awkward at first but once you get familiar with it it will prove itself useful.
E:-6
B:-0
G:-5
D:-6
A:-0
E:-3
Thanks for the advice. I'm fine with alternate picking on single strings, but not when it comes to patterns that use successive strings.

For example when playing a 3 note per string pattern the third note ends on a downstroke, and the next note on the next string should start with an upstroke right? But instead of starting the next string with an upstroke I would start it with another downstroke. Apologies if my OP was a little confusing
Gear:
Godin Velocity
Peavey Vypyr 15 Watt
Marshall BB-2 Boost/OD
Joyo JF-37 Analog Chorus
I'm all for alternate picking. Economy picked for 4 years, recently switched to alternate picking. It just sounds more staccato, which I like when shredding - I still put the occasional economy picked line in with my sweeps though. Also, once you get into that 'mode', you don't have to think as much about what the next pick is supposed to be.

Still, though Petrucci and Gilbert prove that alternate picking can definitely be very effective in shred, guitarists like Frank Gambale kick major arse with their economy picking. In the end, they're both viable options, both with pros and cons, so it's up to your personal preference.
Current gear:
Carvin CT6M
TC Electronics Dark Matter distortion
Harley Benton 2x12, with Celestion V30s
Laney Ironheart 60w tube amp
TS, what you are doing is not economy picking. If you were economy picking, you would be following through on that down stroke in the more "sweeping" motion rather than doing a pair of down strokes.

To answer your question, either of those options is better than what you're currently doing. Neither technique is inherently a faster or slower picking technique. Anyone who says otherwise is wrong. Like this guy:

Quote by SheKILaDZE
yes. absolutely.

for years I was economy picking and couldn't pick up my speed, then a teacher told me to do alternate only, and it's made a huge difference.

it's a habit so, it will be slightly difficult with alternate at first, but give it a few days at least.
1. Get alternate picking down cold.
2. Then, learn sweep picking.
3. Then, mix them into economy picking.
4. Forget about what your doing when you pick
It's not one downstroke like a sweep, but more or less one downstroke followed by another.
Last edited by Judith27 at Apr 8, 2012,
I was over 2 years into playing before I knew what alternate picking was, economy picking just came natural. Then I was playing with my cousin and he told me about alternate picking. Holy crap what a difference. It makes everything soo much more, well, flowey.

It will definitely help your speed but its going to take awhile to break the habit. Slow steady concentrated practice. Working on some scales would help.
Quote by macashmack
1. Get alternate picking down cold.
2. Then, learn sweep picking.
3. Then, mix them into economy picking.
4. Forget about what your doing when you pick

Quote by Bubbles516
I was over 2 years into playing before I knew what alternate picking was, economy picking just came natural. Then I was playing with my cousin and he told me about alternate picking. Holy crap what a difference. It makes everything soo much more, well, flowey. It will definitely help your speed but its going to take awhile to break the habit. Slow steady concentrated practice. Working on some scales would help.

So much wrongness....

To the first one - alternate picking and economy picking have different sounds to them. Economy picking sounds more fluid and can be insanely useful to employ when playing on multiple adjacent strings. Alternate picking lends itself well to certain string skipping situations. They're exactly the same except when changing strings, so advocating to learn one and not familiarize yourself with the other is pretty back asswards.

To the second - alternate picking is not faster than economy picking. Usually, people on here get it the other way around, but regardless: there is no inherently faster technique, at least practically speaking. Economy picking would be the faster if either, but only at such ludicrously high speeds that note changes would be imperceptible amidst the blur of noise.
Quote by Bubbles516
Economy picking just doesn't sound or flow as good.

To you, I have a decent set of licks that I only like the sound of with economy picking.

Don't force your opinions on people here, we deal exclusively in facts. Thus: economy picking sounds different, whether that's a sound people want is entirely up to them.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Well, I've been practising alternate picking for a few days and I've certainly felt a difference While doing so I've noticed my pick angle was well off and while practising alternate picking across multiple strings it has somehow sorted itself out.
It's nice to notice yourself improving in a short time period

On another note, I do use economy picking for two or three string sweeps, I am fairly comfortable with that. I was wondering whether it was appropriate for things such as 3nps riffs on the thicker strings and whatnot, not if one was faster than the other :p
Gear:
Godin Velocity
Peavey Vypyr 15 Watt
Marshall BB-2 Boost/OD
Joyo JF-37 Analog Chorus
Quote by BlueIceBox
Well, I've been practising alternate picking for a few days and I've certainly felt a difference While doing so I've noticed my pick angle was well off and while practising alternate picking across multiple strings it has somehow sorted itself out.
It's nice to notice yourself improving in a short time period

On another note, I do use economy picking for two or three string sweeps, I am fairly comfortable with that. I was wondering whether it was appropriate for things such as 3nps riffs on the thicker strings and whatnot, not if one was faster than the other :p

Does it work physically? Does it sound the way you want?

Beyond those two considerations there is no such thing as "appropriate".
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Geldin
So much wrongness....

To the first one - alternate picking and economy picking have different sounds to them. Economy picking sounds more fluid and can be insanely useful to employ when playing on multiple adjacent strings. Alternate picking lends itself well to certain string skipping situations. They're exactly the same except when changing strings, so advocating to learn one and not familiarize yourself with the other is pretty back asswards.

To the second - alternate picking is not faster than economy picking. Usually, people on here get it the other way around, but regardless: there is no inherently faster technique, at least practically speaking. Economy picking would be the faster if either, but only at such ludicrously high speeds that note changes would be imperceptible amidst the blur of noise.

I'm pretty sure i did say to learn them both. Sweep picking as well. And when i said to forget what you are doing, i meant you should have it I'm muscle memory so well that you only need to think of how the notes will sound, without which picking technique you should be using. Sorry if i i didn't make it clear
sorry for interruption ,
can anybody tell me? when malmsteen goes Low E to high e, does he make alternate picking or economy?
this thread is dead, it's a year old.

Also your question makes little sense, as it would depend on what he was playing
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com