Been trying for pretty much the last half hour to change strings on my RR3 (haven't played that guitar for months now) and I'm having an issue, the locking nuts are a bit stiff and won't seem to come loose and after about half an hour of trying I've decided to ask you guys for advice.

What should I do?
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
I had that happen once and honestly I wound up grabbing pliers and that was the only way I got it off, the only trouble with that was that I needed a replacement part after that. This is one of the many reasons why I sold all guitars with a locking nut
MY GEAR:
2001 Fender Tom Delonge Stratocaster

2004 PRS SE EG with SD JB in bridge and staggered single coils in middle and neck position

2011 Epiphone Tom Delonge ES-333

2010 Fender Frontman 212R

2011 Vox Tonelab ST
they shouldn't be too tight or else you can risk stripping the threads in them.

You could try putting a drop of oil in the threads, but thats unlikely to work and it can cause your allen key to slip. If its just really, really tight, get yourself a longer allen key of the same size and try again. Don't apply too much force. Apply force in short, controlled twists and hopefully that'll gently loosen the screws.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
just tried it again, trying out the suggestion of short controlled bursts first, I'm hearing a squeaking sound on one of the locking nuts, out of the other two. One doesn't budge but the middle one is fine, I'll keep working at it.

Edit: just had a look at the one that's squeaking. It's squeaking but it's not turning. Is something wrong there?
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Last edited by Fisheth24 at Apr 7, 2012,
Are the nuts rusted at all? If you have WD 40, spray a VERY small amount in the area and let it sit
NOPE