Looking to replace my old Hoyer acoustic after over 40 years. I've been trying a few guitars and really like a Takamine EG50th Limited Edition I played this morning. But am I paying extra for the limited edition tag? It's £450, is there another Takamine which would be as good for less? And could anyone recommend another electro-acoustic for £300-£500?
Looking forward to any help and advice.
Thanks for the advice, I'll go look for one of those. At about £100 cheaper I could afford a decent case for it, too.
Why not replace your old guitar with another old guitar? Seriously.

I only have one Taki in my collection, and it's a 1978 F340s- one of the Martin "lawsuit" clones. If you can find one in great shape, and I mean you need to PLAY it (not Ebay), you can pick one up for less than $500. Make sure you look up the "S" models, as they are solid wood (others used laminates) and pretty much identical to a Martin D18.

Another consideration in an older Guild guitar (prior to Fender). There are Guilds all over the place at good prices, and they are excellent guitars. I have a 1979 Guild D25 (spruce top, not mahog) archback- nothing else I own can touch when it's time to bust out the slide. Mississippi John Hurt played a Guild, what more can I say?

Happy Hunting.
Last edited by spillproof at Apr 8, 2012,
Quote by bigginge
Looking to replace my old Hoyer acoustic after over 40 years. I've been trying a few guitars and really like a Takamine EG50th Limited Edition I played this morning. But am I paying extra for the limited edition tag? It's £450, is there another Takamine which would be as good for less? And could anyone recommend another electro-acoustic for £300-£500?
Looking forward to any help and advice.

The Epiphone Masterbilts have a good reputation. The DR500MCE seems to go for around GBP430.

http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Acoustics/Masterbilt.aspx
Well it's funny, I also have an Epi Masterbilt DR500M. I cannot recommend that guitar highly enough; if you look at my past postings, you'll start to think I'm their rep (I'm not).
Wow, thank you for all the advice, I really do appreciate it. The problem with trying old models is finding them, though. I've spent the weekend talking to friends (well, internet chatting mainly) and it all gets a bit confusing. Someone says go a bit higher and get a Faith, but where do you stop adding a few more pounds? Then I keep thinking of when I had that Takamine EG50th Limited Edition in my hands - it felt right, and it looked and sounded right. Also, from looking around, it's a pretty good price so I think I'm going back after Easter and taking it home with me.
Quote by bigginge
Wow, thank you for all the advice, I really do appreciate it. The problem with trying old models is finding them, though. I've spent the weekend talking to friends (well, internet chatting mainly) and it all gets a bit confusing. Someone says go a bit higher and get a Faith, but where do you stop adding a few more pounds? Then I keep thinking of when I had that Takamine EG50th Limited Edition in my hands - it felt right, and it looked and sounded right. Also, from looking around, it's a pretty good price so I think I'm going back after Easter and taking it home with me.

Ooooooo! I really wanted to play this guitar! I haven't seen it anywhere around me yet (smallish shops) so I may have to check out Guitar Center...I was considering trading in my Takamine EG444C and upgrading to it, but I wanted to try it out first. Glad to hear you like it, I think I'm going to have to visit GC this weekend to scratch my itch....though my girlfriend my kill me.
Well, I'm hoping to get down in the morning, give it a good work out, check it through an amp and play along with my guitar partner's Tanglewood - all being well it should be mine by this time tomorrow. I'll report back to you.
On Saturday I played a few other guitars, the Yamahas sounded like a bucket of mud, and nothing sounded much better than my old Hoyer - until I played the Takamine.
Quote by bigginge
Well, I'm hoping to get down in the morning, give it a good work out, check it through an amp and play along with my guitar partner's Tanglewood - all being well it should be mine by this time tomorrow. I'll report back to you.
On Saturday I played a few other guitars, the Yamahas sounded like a bucket of mud, and nothing sounded much better than my old Hoyer - until I played the Takamine.

Yes please do get back to me on it if you buy it! I'm very interested to know how it goes.
Well, BoyLilikoi, it's home with me and I love it. My guitar playing friend and I sat in a demo room, he had his Tanglewood, and gave it a good work out through a Roland amp and it's just beautiful, a lovely action, clear and resonant. A friend had said to pay a bit extra and get a Faith guitar. I had a quick play on one £100 more than the Takamine and there was no contest, the EG 50th was so much better. I'd recommend it to anyone, and I'd strongly advise you to give it a try. Now I better get to work and earn some money to pay for it.
Thanks for the update! I searched online and found out the guitar center near my house has it in stock there so I'm planning on making my way over there this week or weekend to try it out. Only problem is, I can't afford it unless I sell my EG444C. There's another local shop that buys equipment, but I bet I'd only get half of what I paid for it.

You should take pics and upload them. Happy NGD!
Wouldn't the guitar centre nearby part-ex for it?

Here's a couple of pics of my old Hoyer guitar which I bought in 1968:

And here's the Takamine:

I've always wanted a second guitar to have in open tuning when I do a gig, so I'll still be using the Hoyer. Don't want it to feel left out.

Good luck with getting your Takamine.
Part ex for it? You mean kinda trade in and take it off the 50th? I'm not sure if they do that though, but it's definitely worth a shot! I'll go in this weekend and find out.

Thanks, the guitar looks great!
Will do, I just check their website, and apparently they do buy used gear. And if you exchange your used gear for something new that same day, they take 10% off the price. Not a bad deal so long as they don't completely lowball on the used gear which I fear they might. I'll keep ya updated!