Hey guys

I have seen some guitarists like Dave Mustaine and Marty Friedman, their pinky stays next to their other fingers no matter what they play, but I have also seen people like Kerry King, who's pinky moves back. My pinky is quite fast, I have no problem with it but how can I make it not go back, it either looks ugly or when I play something faster than usual, it poses a problem. Is it something that can be done, or people's hands are just that way?
Well honestly if you want to change it you should practice whatever it is your doing at a slower tempo. That's the only way you'll build a solid technique
It's something you have to consciously practice. Play at a slow enough tempo that you can focus on keeping your pinky as low as possible, eventually it becomes natural that way.
Arms Of Empire
^ ^ ^ Band I am involved in ^ ^ ^
Please check it out? ;D

Axe FX II + EBMM JP6 + Jackson DK2S
Quote by BigBigWater
It's something you have to consciously practice. Play at a slow enough tempo that you can focus on keeping your pinky as low as possible, eventually it becomes natural that way.

Kind of right, kind of not.

If you try and keep your finger close to the fretboard you'll more likely be introducing tension in to your hand which is infinitely worse than any flying fingers.

What you need to do, TS, is practice very slowly and make sure that when you're not using any finger don't lift it and don't force it to go anywhere, just relax. That sounds easier than it is if you're used to making your fingers do things all the time like most guitarists are.

It'll take a while to make any real progress but if you can get this idea working for you your technique will be improved several times over: everything will feel easier; you'll probably be faster; and you'll have more independent fingers.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by BigBigWater

^^^

This.

I had this problem for ages when I started to play, but just slowing down and focusing I found it got better quickly.
What Zaphod said. Relax, and remember that the ring finger and the pinky share some tendons so if the pinky doesn't move when you're playing with the ring finger (unless you press the string reeeally slowly) you're probably holding the finger and that creates tension.