Gibson LP Studio 50s tribute w/humbuckers
13 17%
Gibson Les Paul Studio
12 16%
Other (explain)
4 5%
Voters: 76.
Page 1 of 2
The last poll was bad and un-explained so I'll do it again. I've also decided that I don't want a V. I have been playing 4 years and a bit now and I am looking to get a new guitar for my birthday soon. Currently gear wise, I have a Bugera 333XL 212, an Epiphone LP-100 and an ESP LTD MH-53. I also think I'll get a POD HD500 since I still have no effects. I'd say max budget for the guitar is maybe like $1500 AUSTRALIAN. Mostly, I play stuff like Alice In Chains, Tool, Metallica, System of a Down, Megadeth, Led Zeppelin and The Foo Fighters. I don't want a guitar with a tremolo and I don't think I want EMGs either. Basically, I've whittled it down to a Gibson Explorer, an ESP LTD EC-1000VB w/duncans, a Gibson Les Paul Studio 50s Tribute w/humbuckers or a Gibson Les Paul Studio. Price is definitely an important factor and I could probably get a 50s tribute LP for about $1200.

~$1200

~$1800

~$1500

~$1600

And I'm not necessarily going to get the guitar in the colours posted.
Last edited by metallicaftwlp at Apr 7, 2012,
It's all about the neck, d00d. Pick whatever feels nicest.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
From the listed Les Pauls, I'd personally pick the ESP.
In terms of hardware as good, if not better, and aethetically very refined.
The binding, the neckinlay - it's absolutely gorgeous and from what I've heard very reliable.
Please let me keep this memory, just this one ..
All would work, I'd personally go with the Les Paul, although the Explorer might be a bit better suited to the mostly heavy styles you play.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
I'd get the Explorer purely on the grounds that i want one.

But also because it would be the most logical choice if you're a metal player
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
I'd go with the Gibson Les Paul Studio 50s Tribute w/humbuckers. I played one a week ago, AWESOME. I thought about trading in My Gibson Custom for a couple of them, but my dad would kill me he got it for me. LOL
Gear:

Guitars
PRS Santana SE
Ibanez MBM2 EMGs
Fender MIM Roadhouse Strat
Ibanez AS93 BLS

Amp
Carvin V3m
Blackheart 4x12 cab

Pedals
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Zakk Wylde Wah
JamMan looper delay

Last edited by TheFUBAR at Apr 7, 2012,
Have you played an explorer before?
I have one and I love it - apart from the fact it neck dives!
You spend half your time holding the thing up rather than playing!
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
So I'm gathering that basically they're all great guitars and I should just choose out of one which is the most comfortable to me and sounds the best. I'll try some out in a couple of weekends when I have the time and money.
White les paul studio or the explorer.
I have no experience with the explorer but it's epic.
Also, the pickups in the ltd and the Gibson les Paul's have controversial reviews so it'd be a good idea to replace them.
I started off with the EC-1000. Very nice guitar. I like it for the heavier stuff but not for everything. I ended up adding a 2nd guitar for that reason. (Les Paul classic)
Apparently the EC-1000 and Studio sound very different. Would anyone be able to explain the differences in sound or has a good video/sound clip to compare the differences? Is one darker/brighter, thicker tone, sustain differences etc.
Quote by metallicaftwlp
Apparently the EC-1000 and Studio sound very different. Would anyone be able to explain the differences in sound or has a good video/sound clip to compare the differences? Is one darker/brighter, thicker tone, sustain differences etc.

In terms of darker/brighter and thicker tone it all comes down to the pickups (which id replace anyway) because if i remember correctly the woods are the same.
The gibson will be slightly darker and have a thicker tone compared to the horrid SD JB in the LTD.
The neck pickup o the gibson is very muddy and dark when distorted but is good for cleans, it does have very balanced frequencies though. The Seymour Duncan SH-1 is certainly better although it's too scooped for most people and doesn't really sound very vintage because of that.

I think that the bridge pickup on the les paul i much nicer than the Seymour Duncan JB though. The JB is muddy, way too much midrange and very harsh. Again, whether you get the gibson or the LTD i think it'd be ideal to get new pickups. On the gibson replacing the neck pickups should be the priority and the LTD replacing the bridge pickups should be the priority.

The sustain should be pretty even. The Gibson has a chunkier neck than the LTD so that will add some sustain but it's also chambered so they just about even out. Nonetheless, I have a gibson les paul studio and It's got tons of sustain, you really won't have to worry about it.
Lp 50's studio is cheapest, yet it gives the look and feel of a real gibson les paul. Explorer is not a that great guitar for all the bands you listed. A Les Paul is good for everything. And if you want a les paul, go for Gibson if you can. So I'd choose between studio and 50's tribute. They are pretty much the same except hardshell case. I'd get 50's studio with a high quality gigbag. But well LTD one is also good, yet I'd prefer MIA to MIK so yeah. Also explorer is aggressive looking and sounding, that's why I wouldn't choose it.

Quote by TheDuckMajor
In terms of darker/brighter and thicker tone it all comes down to the pickups (which id replace anyway) because if i remember correctly the woods are the same.
The gibson will be slightly darker and have a thicker tone compared to the horrid SD JB in the LTD.
The neck pickup o the gibson is very muddy and dark when distorted but is good for cleans, it does have very balanced frequencies though. The Seymour Duncan SH-1 is certainly better although it's too scooped for most people and doesn't really sound very vintage because of that.

I think that the bridge pickup on the les paul i much nicer than the Seymour Duncan JB though. The JB is muddy, way too much midrange and very harsh. Again, whether you get the gibson or the LTD i think it'd be ideal to get new pickups. On the gibson replacing the neck pickups should be the priority and the LTD replacing the bridge pickups should be the priority.

The sustain should be pretty even. The Gibson has a chunkier neck than the LTD so that will add some sustain but it's also chambered so they just about even out. Nonetheless, I have a gibson les paul studio and It's got tons of sustain, you really won't have to worry about it.

You serious? Pickups on all these guitars are nice. They don't need a swap at all.
Last edited by cemges at Apr 7, 2012,
Quote by cemges
Lp 50's studio is cheapest, yet it gives the look and feel of a real gibson les paul. Explorer is not a that great guitar for all the bands you listed. A Les Paul is good for everything. And if you want a les paul, go for Gibson if you can. So I'd choose between studio and 50's tribute. They are pretty much the same except hardshell case. I'd get 50's studio with a high quality gigbag. But well LTD one is also good, yet I'd prefer MIA to MIK so yeah. Also explorer is aggressive looking and sounding, that's why I wouldn't choose it.

You serious? Pickups on all these guitars are nice. They don't need a swap at all.

All opinion but in my experience (I've owned both SD 59s/JBs and Gibson 490R/498T) I can say that I really didn't like the 490R because of how dark and muddy it was and i didn't like the JB either because it was very harsh and got muddy with high gain.
Of course, the pickups are much nicer than stuff that you'd get with lower end guitar but i feel that if the pickups that I mentioned were swapped out for better pickups the guitar would be on a whole new level.
Quote by TheDuckMajor
All opinion but in my experience (I've owned both SD 59s/JBs and Gibson 490R/498T) I can say that I really didn't like the 490R because of how dark and muddy it was and i didn't like the JB either because it was very harsh and got muddy with high gain.
Of course, the pickups are much nicer than stuff that you'd get with lower end guitar but i feel that if the pickups that I mentioned were swapped out for better pickups the guitar would be on a whole new level.

Although I can definitely notice muddy or bad tone when I hear it, the pickups in the Gibson would be way better than the pickups in my shitty epiphone and they would be a massive upgrade on what I'm used to hearing.
One of the Les Pauls I would say.

The Explorer may be more suitable for the heavier stuff but really it's down to the neck. Personally I prefer the neck on Explorers, and the higher frets are easier to get to but I don't know if that's needed for you.

I have played one of those ESPs a couple of times and I wasn't impressed. It looked alright, and it felt alright, sounded alright and played alright. But for that much money, it needs to be better than alright. It was priced at like £1100 where I played it but it felt like it was worth closer to £400.

But again, try them all out because your opinion is more valuable than ours.
The 50s tribute is pretty appealing right now and provided it's comfortable I may end up getting that. Being $300-400+ cheaper than the rest also helps a lot. And there's a difference there between saving $300-400 over another USA Gibson or high end LTD and an ~$800 Epiphone.
The 50s les Paul would also be my choice. The only difference between it and a normal les Paul studio is that it has a satin finish rather than a glossy one + the fact that the pickups are uncover might help them tonally by making them slightly brighter and less muddy (yes, there is a difference).
The Explorer, the EC and a Les Paul all sound and feel different. You should narrow down which style it is you want before you worry about particular models. The Explorer in particular is nowhere near as comparable to the other two as the EC and LP are to each other. So your task is to figure out whether you actually want an Explorer or whether you want a single cut. If what you really want is an Explorer, your answer is obvious. If you really want a single cut, ask yourself do you want the lighter feel and brighter tone of the EC or the fuller thickness and deeper tone of the LP? Do you really need the ESP neck or would you be happy with a Gibson 60s neck or do you even need a 50s neck?

It shouldn't be hard to figure out for yourself what will suit you best.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
The Explorer, the EC and a Les Paul all sound and feel different. You should narrow down which style it is you want before you worry about particular models. The Explorer in particular is nowhere near as comparable to the other two as the EC and LP are to each other. So your task is to figure out whether you actually want an Explorer or whether you want a single cut. If what you really want is an Explorer, your answer is obvious. If you really want a single cut, ask yourself do you want the lighter feel and brighter tone of the EC or the fuller thickness and deeper tone of the LP? Do you really need the ESP neck or would you be happy with a Gibson 60s neck or do you even need a 50s neck?

It shouldn't be hard to figure out for yourself what will suit you best.

After more thought I'm pretty sure I want a single cut and I'm quite sure that both necks would be comfortable to me since I have an Epi LP (neck is probably not as thick as the Gibson) and an LTD MH-53 and they are both comfortable to me. In terms of tone, I think the fuller sound would be better since my amp is pretty bright and some times I do wish I had some more thickness in my tone but it's probably just my poor guitars.

Which guitars would be more fitting to the guitar (only) tones in these songs?

We Die Young - AiC
Them Bones - AiC
Sugar - SoaD
...AJFA - Metallica
Wake Up Dead - Megadeth
Jambi - Tool
4 Degrees - Tool

I'm guessing the Gibby for most of them especially the Tool songs.

I know that's a pretty vague and sort of hard to answer question but you probably understand what I mean.
If you want heavy -> Explorer
If you want more versatility -> Les Paul
If you want a 'rock' guitar with thin neck -> EC-1000

I'd personally go for the Les Paul.
In your place I'd go for the Explorer.

EDIT: It's probably cheaper because of the satin finish.
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Last edited by JesusCrisp at Apr 8, 2012,
Quote by JesusCrisp
If you want heavy -> Explorer
If you want more versatility -> Les Paul
If you want a 'rock' guitar with thin neck -> EC-1000

I'd personally go for the Les Paul.
In your place I'd go for the Explorer.

EDIT: It's probably cheaper because of the satin finish.

What makes a nitrocellulose finish better than a satin finish? comparing the specs, the regular studio comes with a hardcase where as the tribute comes with a gig bag. The regular studio also has a 'nashville tune-o-matic' bridge instead of just 'tune-o-matic'.
Quote by metallicaftwlp
What makes a nitrocellulose finish better than a satin finish? comparing the specs, the regular studio comes with a hardcase where as the tribute comes with a gig bag. The regular studio also has a 'nashville tune-o-matic' bridge instead of just 'tune-o-matic'.

Both are nitro, just that one is satin, the other high gloss. High gloss takes more hours of work to finish and work hours = money.
The gig-bag instead of the case is cost-cutting as well, no idea about the bridge, but it shouldn't really make a difference AFAIK.
And even if it does, a new bridge costs like 50-100$.
But don't worry, the bridge is fine as it is.
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by JesusCrisp
Both are nitro, just that one is satin, the other high gloss. High gloss takes more hours of work to finish and work hours = money.
The gig-bag instead of the case is cost-cutting as well, no idea about the bridge, but it shouldn't really make a difference AFAIK.
And even if it does, a new bridge costs like 50-100$.
But don't worry, the bridge is fine as it is.

yeah I know, just stating the differences. The Goldtop could be shinier but I guess you can't really complain about a $1200 Gibson Les Paul.
That one would sound more like an SG compared to the Gibson.

Differences are a thinner body, no maple cap, 2 more (jumbo) frets, Duncan pickups, ...

The pickups in the EC you posted are actually lower output than the Gibson's AFAIK.
Other than that the EC is more of a "shred" guitar than the Gibson (more and bigger frets, thinner neck).

Tone- and wood-quality-wise the Gibson is IMO superior from what I experienced.
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
i think esp ltd ec1000 kills everyone on list......also on the site they've listed the HH combo is JB4 on bridge and '59 on neck(quite nice)...also u can always change pups,(namely SH6 for heavier styles)....
Gear:-
ESP LTD M-50.
Roland Cube20XL.
Warwick Rockbass Corvette Classic 5-String.
Warwick BC-40 Bass Amp.
Morley Power Wah.
EHX Big Muff.
Quote by dhruvd353
i think esp ltd ec1000 kills everyone on list......also on the site they've listed the HH combo is JB4 on bridge and '59 on neck(quite nice)...also u can always change pups,(namely SH6 for heavier styles)....

Sh6 is not really for mahogany guitars. And yet it's korean made. Studio is American made, and it is a real Gibson Les Paul, for it's own kind. EC-1000 is much different then it. Can be nice but, they are too expensive for what they are for me. In that case I like the SH2 jazz more then SH1 for it's warm sound.

And people who calls neck pickups muddy, that is called warm, and that is how it was supposed to sound, it's nice like that. Know that neck pickup on gibson is not for metal.
Quote by cemges
Sh6 is not really for mahogany guitars. And yet it's korean made. Studio is American made, and it is a real Gibson Les Paul, for it's own kind. EC-1000 is much different then it. Can be nice but, they are too expensive for what they are for me. In that case I like the SH2 jazz more then SH1 for it's warm sound.

And people who calls neck pickups muddy, that is called warm, and that is how it was supposed to sound, it's nice like that. Know that neck pickup on gibson is not for metal.

I know that neck pickups are warm but I'm not sure whether you've ever played that that pickups. It is overly bassy and very undefined and certainly muddy. I don't play metal i play rock and things can be muddy and warm at the same time or even overly warm causing them to sound muddy. Maybe it's just me. The better the guitars you play the more you get used to better tone with more clarity and anything under doesn't seem as good. Don't get me wrong, the Gibson Les Paul Studio is still my main gigging, practise and studio guitar but after playing some better pickups I suddenly felt that my tone wasn't good enough and too muddy so I had to change the pickups. I really liked the bridge pickups though but the SH-1 is a big improvement in terms of clarity from the gibson 490R.
Anyway, I'm sure that most people wont even realise.

Anyway, I agree that the Gibson is gonna be better than the LTD. The poll says one thing but the comments say another and IMO if you don't state a reason then you're just being a fanboy or a hater. You HAVE to state your reasons or your opinion is worthless.

Oh, one more thing, the gibson plays great (as does the LTD) there just seems to always be rumours that the gibson doesn't play well. It plays GREAT. That's mostly why it's my main guitar. It's crazy how low you can set up the action on the gibson without fret buzz and the intonation is extremely accurate.
Quote by Wot's... Uh
Fender telecaster. Beats les paul any day.

Hahaha over my dead body. Les Paul > Tele anyway, a Les Paul can do anything where as a Tele can't and just sounds twangy. I'm not a fender person and never will be.
Last edited by metallicaftwlp at Apr 8, 2012,
Out of those options, I'd probably take the ESP.

Oh wait, I saw the 'other' option. Go for a Carvin DC800. It can do anything those guitars can, and it's built to your specs. And, as an added bonus, you get an extra 33% of string!
Join the 7 String Legion!

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Messiaen is Magical

Official Approval
This message has been approved by:

Mister A.J.
Head of the Department of Redundancy Department
Mister A.J.
Last edited by Mister A.J. at Apr 8, 2012,
Quote by Mister A.J.
Out of those options, I'd probably take the ESP.

Oh wait, I saw the 'other' option. Go for a Carvin DC800. It can do anything those guitars can, and it's built to your specs. And, as an added bonus, you get an extra 33% of string!

no thanks, I'm more than fine playing six strings. I don't even listen to music where the guitars have 7-8 strings
Quote by metallicaftwlp
no thanks, I'm more than fine playing six strings. I don't even listen to music where the guitars have 7-8 strings

Aw, you're no fun. :/

Oh well, Carvin has a rather ridiculous collection of sixes and stuff too, that are also made to your specs! And for about the same amount of moo-lah too.

But you have to admit, they look pretty nice, am I right?
Join the 7 String Legion!

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Messiaen is Magical

Official Approval
This message has been approved by:

Mister A.J.
Head of the Department of Redundancy Department
Mister A.J.
Last edited by Mister A.J. at Apr 8, 2012,
Quote by Mister A.J.

Nah, Gibson or ESP/LTD for me. I wouldn't even know where to buy one here anyway.

Quote by OVER9000VIDEOS

Can you read? I said AUSTRALIAN, you should read the first post before assuming I'm in the USA.
Page 1 of 2