Poll: thoughts on the film?
Poll Options
View poll results: thoughts on the film?
a bad influence
2 3%
kids should know better
5 6%
it's just a film!
42 54%
i think it's a good influence, actually!
24 31%
this film should be rated 15 and shown to people who have been educated on health + contracts
5 6%
Voters: 78.
Page 1 of 3
remember this classic film? was just watching part of it and i was disgusted by how it teaches kids to act.
- act like a spoilt brat and you get what you want; teaches materialism to kids
- get your hopes up and you'll surely get what you want because you want it more (aka gives false hope)
- kids encouraged to sign a contract without reading it. not just that but they're underaged.
- kids encouraged to buy lots of chocolate and eat lots of sugar; kid made fun of for not doing so.
- the working rights of the umpa lumpas are skeptical at best.
- wonka tries to entrap the kids by getting a spy to offer them rewards for committing a crime. these are 10 year olds we're talking about!

i can't believe it's allowed to be aired. it doesn't sound so bad when i describe it in a post but anyone that's seen it recently and is an adult will surely understand what i'm talking about.

so my question is: do you think it's a bad influence and are kids susceptible to these films?
Quote by Meths

I don't think any words should be censored.

Especially faggot since homos aren't real people and all.

Quote by sam b
Man City wont win anything and finish below Arsenal.

city: 3rd + FA cup winners.
arsenal: 4th
Don't all the kids get what's coming to them? I think it teaches kids a pretty good lesson.
They're ten year olds, they just watch it for entertainment. They don't really think "hmm this is a good form of entraptment, I must try it someday."

It's just a movie

btw there are tons of Disney movies that would "teach" worse lessons.
Quote by kaptkegan
Don't think I've ever been sigged.

I pretty much never leave the drug thread anymore.
Last edited by Metallicuh at Apr 7, 2012,
All the bad kids get their come-uppins, and it teaches you to be nice to your grandparents.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
It's a film that all children should see, if only to ensure they know that orange people are of no actual use to anyone, and should be burned.
Every shitty kid ends up in a trash chute, or being sucked up into a tube, or turned into a giant blueberry. The good kid wins the factory. Have you watched the god damned movie or are you just spouting out of your ass?
OP, I disagree. If anything, it teaches them about honesty and not being a greedy little bastard. Oompa loompa songs FTW.

I ****ing love that film.
Quote by neidnarb11890
the chinese take-out place my family always ordered from gave you chopsticks, so as a kid it was fun to try & eat with chopsticks
now i just use a fork, 'cuz nothing is fun anymore & i just want to shovel food into my mouth to fill the void
Quote by andyscoot
Every shitty kid ends up in a trash chute, or being sucked up into a tube, or turned into a giant blueberry. The good kid wins the factory. Have you watched the god damned movie or are you just spouting out of your ass?

I'm guessing he started fapping at the young kids, and then turned it off and had a cigarette.
Rotten Playground
Listen to me and Jameh muck about on a podcast
as if you have anything better to do.

Quote by Reverend_Taco
Grass stains on my dicks

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Pfft. Gay? Nah, gay is the manliest sex that exists.
Quote by andyscoot

i'm clearly not spouting out of my ass as i've just been watching it right now. my mum reckons it's a lawyer's nightmare and she's studied law.
the kids get their comeuppance at the end for various individual problems that occurred in wonka's factory and for not listening. the problems i mentioned are still relevant. you don't sign a contract without reading... EVER.
i admitt that the songs sung by the umpa lumpas teach good messages but that's about it.
as for a kid winning a prize for doing the right thing? that's laughable. and he just happened to catch on that slugworth was working for wonka during the boat ride when he saw a holographic pic of him.
Quote by Meths

Quote by sam b

Urg. It doesn't teach you to be bratty or spoiled. It shows those kids getting up in bad situations doesn't it?
The book is far darker.
Plus, what's wrong with teaching kids? That's what all fairy tales and nursery rhymes do. Sheltered kids are scared kids. It's not like Wonka was a rapist and Charlie was wanted for mass genocide.
Last edited by Pagan_Poetry at Apr 7, 2012,
[quote="'-[NiL"]-']It's a fucking children's movie from the early 70's, get a grip.
my point is is that it shouldn't be shown to children. read my posts you idiot.
Quote by Meths

Quote by sam b

Quote by untalented
my point is is that it shouldn't be shown to children. read my posts you idiot.

Don't call him an idiot. Read the posts of others and see why there's nothing wrong with it.

You saw it as a kid. All of us saw it as a kid. Are we materialistic? Are we spoiled? Do we get easily upset when shot down? For the most part, no.
Although you are a questionable example clearly.
Quote by CrimsonBizzare
You lose! Good day, sir.

Epic reference to the movie, and 10/10 for relevence.

Win mate.
On playing the Paul Gilbert signature at the guitar store extensively, my missus sighed:
"Put it down now, It's like you love that guitar more than me!"
In Which I replied.
"Well it has got two F-Holes!"

also; 'shown to people who have been educated on health + contracts'

are you ****ing retarded?
Last edited by KiLLSWiTCH-KnoT at Apr 7, 2012,
If you read the book you'd understand how much better off the oompa loompas are working for Willy Wonka than their original habitat
Spin round carousel
When your horse isn't screwed in

I II III VI:1 VI:2
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
Don't call him an idiot. Read the posts of others and see why there's nothing wrong with it.

i've read the posts of others... no one has mentioned anything good so far. everyone is saying the same 'it's just a film'. my question is whether or not the film has a bad influence? looking at the rise in obesity, the increase in police powers and so on, i'd say that this is as relevant as ever. it may be a kids film from the 70s but it embodies many problems in society of today

Quote by Pagan_Poetry

You saw it as a kid. All of us saw it as a kid. Are we materialistic? Are we spoiled? Do we get easily upset when shot down? For the most part, no.
Although you are a questionable example clearly.

i saw it as a kid but i'm seeing it as an adult. you're remembering it as a kid.
call me a questionable example all you want.
Quote by Meths

Quote by sam b

i think you're taking yourself a little too serious. and "my mom is a lawyer, and she says it's baaaaad" is not the way to go.
"I came here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and i'm all out of bubblegum"
Quote by untalented
i've read the posts of others... no one has mentioned anything good so far. everyone is saying the same 'it's just a film'. my question is whether or not the film has a bad influence? looking at the rise in obesity, the increase in police powers and so on, i'd say that this is as relevant as ever. it may be a kids film from the 70s but it embodies many problems in society of today

i saw it as a kid but i'm seeing it as an adult. you're remembering it as a kid.

6/10
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Quote by KiLLSWiTCH-KnoT

That is an incorrect use of that meme, but lol worthy nonetheless

Quote by untalented

You think Willy Wonka has had a direct effect on the percent of obesity? And that it, somehow, has effected the way that policing powers work? Please, explain those points so that I might understand better.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Last edited by eGraham at Apr 7, 2012,
Quote by grapist
i think you're taking yourself a little too serious. and "my mom is a lawyer, and she says it's baaaaad" is not the way to go.

i never said that. these are my own opinions but they're backed by someone else.
maybe this issue is lost on kids in a guitar forum
Quote by Meths

Quote by sam b

Quote by grapist

Yea, Willy Wonka is not about contractual obligation.
Quote by untalented

I'm sorry, you're right.

Police abusing their powers and fat people eating too much is surely the result of everyone watching Willy Wonka and the Chocolate factory as children.
Quote by untalented

Yeah, glad to see you're picking a fight with the wrong guy.

I have in fact studied this very same movie and book in university. I have studied it as an adult.
I have also studied many other childrens stories and films and every single film can be picked at like this. Every single story can be picked at like this.
You forget that children don't make these stories but adults do. In fact, childrens stories when first made were supposed to be scary during the 18th century especially, where Snow White died three times and Ariel never got the prince and was a slave when she was with him at one point. They were meant to teach kids. You think most of the childrens books now are any different? Yes it has obesity and snobbery but those kids are the ones that lose. Charlie is innocent, pure, and thankful, and he makes it through until the end. Nice guys pull through, be a good kid, yadda yadda.

Yes I still think you are a questionable example.
Quote by untalented
i never said that. these are my own opinions but they're backed by someone else.
maybe this issue is lost on kids in a guitar forum

>14 year old calling people children
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
Yeah, glad to see you're picking a fight with the wrong guy.

I have in fact studied this very same movie and book in university. I have studied it as an adult.

doesn't mean you studied it well

Quote by Pagan_Poetry
Yes it has obesity and snobbery but those kids are the ones that lose. Charlie is innocent, pure, and thankful, and he makes it through until the end. Nice guys pull through, be a good kid, yadda yadda.

you're looking at it from a completely one dimensional point of view missing everything i've mentioned

Quote by Pagan_Poetry
Yes I still think you are a questionable example.

whatever

Quote by eGraham

You think Willy Wonka has had a direct effect on the percent of obesity? And that it, somehow, has effected the way that policing powers work? Please, explain those points so that I might understand better.

when did i use the work direct?
and learn the difference between effect and affect before you attempt to argue.
Quote by Meths

Quote by sam b

Last edited by untalented at Apr 7, 2012,
Quote by untalented
you're looking at it from a completely one dimensional point of view missing everything i've mentioned

2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495

Quote by JayT44

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Quote by untalented

whatever

LMAO Doesn't mean I studied it well? Oops. Got A's in those classes. Too bad.
Also, everybody else in the thread can say that exact same thing about you.

Not worth my time. You seem to be the only one influenced to be as self important as the kids you AREN"T supposed to learn from.

Oh well. Not worth it. Back to Arrested Development
Quote by untalented

whatever

Holy irony, Batman. Everything you mention is a one-dimensional view, taken out of context.
OP has to be trolling. The message of the film (if there even is one), is clearly that if you're greedy, you'll end up with nothing.
But Charlie is the only decent one and in the end he gets a ****ing factory made out of candy. Surely that's a good lesson to some extent.
Quote by grantjames
OP has to be trolling. The message of the film (if there even is one), is clearly that if you're greedy, you'll end up with nothing.

No, he's more intelligent than he seems.

Also, Batman Forever is about how you should never be an acrobat or your family will die.
Page 1 of 3