I've been getting quite a bit of crackling and general noise from my Peavey XXX, and the preamp and power tubes were about 3 years old, atleast. So the other day I changed my power tubes to a pair of MESA matched 6L6's, and it helped the noise a little bit, not very much though. So I tested the preamp tubes to see if any were microphonic, which one of them were. I still changed one of the preamp tubes (I only had 1 new one) so when I get the money I'll put another 3 preamp tubes in her, but will that help the noise? What else could the noise be? (Its not the cables)

Thanks !
just give me a fender and let me rip
Have you tried a different guitar?

Describe this so called noise. Is it just hum?

Does it crackle randomly, or only when you're moving the knobs?

Try plugging it into a different outlet, in a different room (preferably one that's on a different breaker in the house).
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
a little hum is normal in high(er) gain amps. crackling usually is not.

Are you near any other electronics? computers, etc? I get strange noises if I get too close to my PC, but it goes away if I take a step back. Try wiggling the cable and knobs like MC said. You can also try pulling the tubes back out and spraying somecontact cleaner in the sockets. Plug the tube back in and work it in and out a few times.

Most of the times I've ever had any kind of crackling sound, it's been an iffy connection somewhere.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Its not in my house, its actually the my jam space now. And when we're jamming and i stop playing you can hear it, its kind of like a hum but there it random crackles. And actually yes, when i was testing the amp, I had nothing plugged in and it crackled a little bit when I turned the gain knob on the clean channel
and again, nope the only other electronics are my bass players amp. and as far as spraying contact cleaner in there, its a little combos theres not too much room to get in there, and im not 100 % sure what I'm doing, I'm happy it replaced 3 / 6 tubes without getting electrocuted haha
pretty much eliminates your guitar then. Could be a dirty volume pot on the amp. Can try taking the knob part off and spraying the pot with some cleaner, but usually you're just prolonging the inevitable. Pots are cheap, and not terribly hard to change.

EDIT: if you don't know what you're doing, either find someone who does, or take it to a tech. No good can come from poking around the innards of your amp with a hot iron if you don't know what you're doing
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

And so it goes
Last edited by jpatan at Apr 7, 2012,
Yes I know haha I'm going to see if theres anybody in the building that my jamspace is at who is knowledgable in these matters, I'm really trying to avoid taking it to a tech, unless I really have to
If you know anybody that's handy with a soldering iron, a simple pot swap is really a quick job. Will take longer to get the chassis out and get access to the back of the pot than it will to pop it out and solder a few wires.
Quote by tubetime86

And so it goes
Quote by jpatan
If you know anybody that's handy with a soldering iron, a simple pot swap is really a quick job. Will take longer to get the chassis out and get access to the back of the pot than it will to pop it out and solder a few wires.

That depends entirely on whether or not the pot is chassis or pcb-mounted. PCB mounted pots can be difficult to access and replace, especially for someone who isn't experienced at such work.
Tastes like chicken, if chicken was a candy.