hi all, ive been playing bass for a couple of months now, and i cant settle on which finger to start with when fingerpicking bass. i settled on middle, index, middle, index, for a while but when playing new born by muse for example, its easier to start with index. i cant decide which style im more comfortable with. is one stlye better to learn in the long run than the other style?
i just went straight too index, middle index, middle. no-one has ever told me that what i was doing was 'right' or 'wrong' so i wouldn't imagine there is any right way to do it. all i would say is at least venture into using 3 or even 4 fingers.
just stick to what you are comfortable doing. if it works, stick with it.
DONT RISK IT, BUY A BASS AMP
I start with my middle finger. I think it's because my bass has a bit of neck dive.
you should start with the finger that suits best the part of the song you're playing. for example, i was learning a bach's piece (invention blablabla) and in some parts it would be better to start with the middle finger, and for other parts, it would feel better to start with the index. so, my recommendation would be that you should play the different parts of a song starting first with the index, then satrting with the middle, and then choose what is more comfortable for that specific part. and that would be the way of doing it right.
Quote by FatalGear41
When you break a bass string, that snapping sound is the sound of six dollars going down the crapper.

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
I tend to start with my ring finger (I play with three) and used to use my index to start, but the index was just because that's how I was told by my high school music teacher (who is a pianist). I honestly don't think it should matter, it's just the first note of the song, it's no different to any other note.

Play how it feels comfortable to you.
I start with my ring finger, but it all depends on the riff for me anyways
THE GREAT AND POWERFUL TRIXIE

DREAM THEATER

THE DEVIN TOWNSEND PROJECT

SEVENTH WONDER

MUSICMAN BONGO 6HH
EBS REIDMAR

YOUTUBE
TWITTER
TUMBLR
Quote by ChucklesMginty
I started on guitar, so I already had a callous on my middle finger from tapping. I ended up starting on my middle without thinking about it, because I was able to get more power before pain set in... I play hard.

Now I'm back pedalling and trying to start on my index as much as I can to get an equal amount of power. It depends on the line you're playing, so give yourself the option of doing both. I learnt how to rake strings, but I actually prefer the sound of playing all alternate. So now I know I'm alternating out of choice instead of just not being able to rake.

What do you mean by rake the strings vs alternate?