I realize that Fuzz Factory is a toy full of randomness and you don't just tweak the knobs for 5 minutes and forget about it. But... It seems the thing likes my Tele a lot while trying to make it sound any good on LP seems like an impossible task. With single coils FF actually produces quite decent amounts of overdrive while with humbuckers there's barely any gain at all. Any thoughts?
I do agree that it sounds better with single coils, but I've never had the gain problem with humbuckers. This may sound stupid, but maybe check the volume knob? If its not all the way up you get like no gain, even if it's just barely turned down
Quote by ThinLizzyFan
I love you

Who's in a bunker?
Who's in a bunker?
Women and children first
And the children first
And the children
Quote by namesroverrated
I do agree that it sounds better with single coils, but I've never had the gain problem with humbuckers. This may sound stupid, but maybe check the volume knob? If its not all the way up you get like no gain, even if it's just barely turned down

If you mean the guitar volume knob then it's all the way up. If you mean the FF's volume knob I really hope you're joking, because it already doubles my volume when it's set to 12:00.
Try raising your pickups a bit? I have the same pedal, as well as a Les Paul and a guitar with P-90s and I've never had a problem with the humbuckers...You could try turning the drive up when you switch to LP. Perhaps the pickups have a low output.
Quote by head-case
Perhaps the pickups have a low output.

Hm, any way I could test if they do? Also--any idea if you can turn the radio off in FF?...
Quote by JoeVertigo
Hm, any way I could test if they do? Also--any idea if you can turn the radio off in FF?...

The radio is a feature

It may be something to the with actual circuitry, it may be reacting with the guitars output impedance in a certain way.... to see if this is the case try putting a buffered pedal in front of it to see if there still is a difference (might sound like ass though)
Quote by JoeVertigo
If you mean the guitar volume knob then it's all the way up. If you mean the FF's volume knob I really hope you're joking, because it already doubles my volume when it's set to 12:00.

Haha, no, I meant the guitar volume knob. Listen to those guys up there^.Do you have similar problems with other dirt pedals? Or maybe it's harder to drive the amp with your humbuckers guitar? If so then it must be the pickups, otherwise it might be something in the circuitry of the pedal, although that seems unlikely to me. And, having three humbuckers shouldn't make a difference
Quote by ThinLizzyFan
I love you

Who's in a bunker?
Who's in a bunker?
Women and children first
And the children first
And the children
I'm going to take a wild guess....You have an Epiphone Black Beauty Les Paul? with the three gold hums? Also, switching guitars is obviously going to affect the tone of the pedal, so you may have to re-adjust it to better suit whatever guitar you switch to, and in this case it seems like you'll want to turn the drive up when switching to a lower output guitar. This pedal takes a decent amount of tweaking, so I wouldn't expect it to sound perfect for every guitar on one setting. What guitar do you have? Stock pickups?
I've also found that fuzz's don't work that well with humbuckers (Waiting for someone to link me a great example of an amazing fuzz + humbucker-equipped guitar tone)
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
Quote by Archer18
I've also found that fuzz's don't work that well with humbuckers (Waiting for someone to link me a great example of an amazing fuzz + humbucker-equipped guitar tone)

My home built Fuzz Face clone seems to quite like being hit by humbuckers , don't have any clips but its very Creamesque. Joe Bonamassa also seems to rock one occasionaly with his Les Pauls seeing he has a signature fuzz face.
Quote by namesroverrated
Haha, no, I meant the guitar volume knob. Listen to those guys up there^.Do you have similar problems with other dirt pedals? Or maybe it's harder to drive the amp with your humbuckers guitar? If so then it must be the pickups, otherwise it might be something in the circuitry of the pedal, although that seems unlikely to me. And, having three humbuckers shouldn't make a difference

I don't really have other dirt pedals other then SD-2 (bleh), which sounds pretty much the same on both LP and Tele. It's actually easier to drive my amp with the humbuckers. Honestly the FF doesn't seem to even have that much drive on it's own but with LP the sound is just one big flat splat, while with Tele there is decent amount of mids cutting through.
Quote by head-case
I'm going to take a wild guess....You have an Epiphone Black Beauty Les Paul? with the three gold hums? Also, switching guitars is obviously going to affect the tone of the pedal, so you may have to re-adjust it to better suit whatever guitar you switch to, and in this case it seems like you'll want to turn the drive up when switching to a lower output guitar. This pedal takes a decent amount of tweaking, so I wouldn't expect it to sound perfect for every guitar on one setting. What guitar do you have? Stock pickups?

It's a luthier LP made in Poland (where I live) of unknown (yet--I hope) origins. It's at least 40 years old and supposedly made entirely of swamp ash. All 3 pups are Tokais, and the middle one was put there some years after manafacturing. No idea what pickups exactly are that, I'll look into it.
Quote by Darkflame
when I tried it, honestly, I thought it didn't like anything, couldn't get a good sound no matter what setup I used... Then again, that's subjective, and maybe the pedal was a dud.

With LP it sounds much better on an already overdriven amp, well at least for me it does. Still, I was hoping I'd be able to get some fat sound and all there is a squeal.
Last edited by JoeVertigo at Apr 8, 2012,
You need to spend more time tweaking this pedal. A lot of people test it, spend 3 mins with it, and think it sounds like garbage because they couldn't dial in a tone. It's very picky! When you mentioned it doesn't have much gain by itself....it leads me to believe you aren't EQing it right. This pedal has enough gain to sustain any note at any volume level into feedback and madness!
Make sure your gate knob is turned to the right. This keeps the squeel down. Try changing your battery too....maybe it's almost dead and is sucking your gain? and if you don't already, your Fuzz Factory should be the first pedal in your chain. Also, what kind of tone are you looking for?