Hey UG, I have a jackson dinky with a floyd rose bridge. I had my guitar set up by a guitar shop with 12s and tuned to Drop C. whenever I tune the 6th string from C to D to play in D standard (using the fine tuners, i never take the tuning lock off), my 3rd string goes noticably flat.

any idea what could cause this?

thanks ^.^
changing tunings with a floyd rose causes this. It's normal. Stop it.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Floyds are notorious for compensating like that. For sh*ts and giggles, try doing a country-style dual bend on one. The note that should stay stationary will go flat without a doubt.

There's a reason you should avoid Floyds if you use a lot of different tunings and have 1 guitar. You just experienced part of it.
You have to re-setup a Floyd for every minimal change in tuning and string gauge, or it'll go out of tune like a mother effer.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
more or less... i understand the spring tension needs to be equal with the string tension, where the bridge is level with the body of the guitar. I just don't get why it only affects the 3rd string
Quote by freddu1
more or less... i understand the spring tension needs to be equal with the string tension, where the bridge is level with the body of the guitar. I just don't get why it only affects the 3rd string

its actually affecting all your strings, the g string is just longer(because of the intonation) so its being affected by the difference more so than the other strings.

its farther away from the pivot point(being the poles the floyd is resting against) so it is moved more than the other strings when the floyd is brought back and forth.

understand?
Quote by freddu1

Also it's the thickest unwound string, and is usually the one that goes out of tune quickest on non floyd rose guitars. Epiphone Les Pauls are a prime example, as the first string to go out of tune after massive bends or lengthy playing will be the G

haha g string
yup, Floyds are finicky little buggers
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com