I some movies that are set in the medieval are often accompanied by some medieval music often played on some lutes. I dont really know what the other instruments are.

Id like to learn to play on an instrument used back then because it is unusual and the instruments used back then are the precursors to our instruments.

What isntruments were used? Can I get them today and if so, how much do they cost?
Are there tabs or do you have to play them by ear or notes?

I hope that I posted this on the right forum. Lutes are after all, classic instruments and maybe even pre-classic.
I thought it was pretty amusing how so many 'purists' I've met scoff at tab, but yeah, lute tablature was actually around in the 1600s (ish, I do believe)
Id like to learn to play stringed instruments. The Lute and the Citole really appeals me!
Are those instruments expensive to buy and have(string change,repairs)?
Tabs do exist I have found out and that is good!
What is that harp thing called by the way?

Imagine going to a medieval tavern and hearing this music play while taking a beer and eating some rosted pork I would definitely choose that life over what we live now..
****ing shit, those lutes, they cost 32 000Kr in my currency, thats like 4 531,04 USD.
crazy stuff
Medieval stringed instruments?

Various theorbos, citterns, mandolins, lutes, ouds, balalikas, lyres, harps, some members of the violin/viol family (IOW, fiddles), zithers and, in that video, the dulcimers.

...and that's just in Europe.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Apr 7, 2012,
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Medieval stringed instruments?

Various theorbos, citterns, mandolins, lutes, ouds, balalikas, lyres, harps, some members of the violin/viol family (IOW, fiddles), zithers and, in that video, the dulcimers.

...and that's just in Europe.

Thank you! I think that I can work out the rest from here
Quote by another_dave

The guy in the video held his dulcimer upright and most of the videos Ive seen of people playing dulcimers are placing them in their laps or tables.
Do you have to play them placed on your lap?
The guy in the video seemed to have a unusual modell too.