If I put on my guitar a set of EB not even slinky 12-60 for drop B tuning then can I occasionally retune it back to E standard with such a heavy set of string without any problems ? or is there the possibility to damage the neck ? (as I assume : heavier string gauge = more string tension for the neck to withstand).
Hmm I wouldn't, that's pretty intense. I'm sure you'd have to adjust everything.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
I wouldn't man, it will warp the shit out of your neck and you wont be able to bend at all.
Not Even Slinky is 12-56, just sayin'. And no, there shouldn't be any issues. Jazz guys use 14s and 15s in standard, so that's a total non-issue. I usually use 11-56 for standard so no, it isn't an issue at all.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I play in Drop B with 12-56, no issues at all. 11-54s work just as well, just a tad more slack.

People over exaggerate Tunings/String Gauges.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE LURKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Shouldn't really be a problem other than the fact that the strings will be really really tight when you tune up to E standard from Drop B... that said, if you set it up for B it will be really off when you tune up to E (intonation and the likes) and if you leave it in E you're going to warp (up-bow) your neck pretty bad. Also, I doubt it is, but if your using a floating trem, don't even bother... it's not worth the hassle (but I doubt you are because I assume you have the common sense to know that's a really bad idea in the first place).
Ibanez S2170FB Prestige + Crunch Lab
Ibanez RG1570MRR Prestige + Crunch Lab
Taylor 214CE
Peavey 6505MH + Orange PPC112 + TS9 + ISP Decimator + MXR 10-Band EQ

Watch and subscribe to my guitar ventures!
Search Nick Catelli on YouTube
Quote by Krauser
Shouldn't really be a problem other than the fact that the strings will be really really tight when you tune up to E standard from Drop B... that said, if you set it up for B it will be really off when you tune up to E (intonation and the likes) and if you leave it in E you're going to warp (up-bow) your neck pretty bad. Also, I doubt it is, but if your using a floating trem, don't even bother... it's not worth the hassle (but I doubt you are because I assume you have the common sense to know that's a really bad idea in the first place).

No! No he is not! Jazz guys use sets around 14-60 with no issues at all, never mind that acoustics use 13-56 regularly in standard without issues.

Seriously, OP, it's a turn of the truss rod if the neck becomes too bowed. It's not a big issue.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
No! No he is not! Jazz guys use sets around 14-60 with no issues at all, never mind that acoustics use 13-56 regularly in standard without issues.

Seriously, OP, it's a turn of the truss rod if the neck becomes too bowed. It's not a big issue.

X2. Loads of misinformation about this.
I use those 12-56s for B-flat on my 6 string, I tried to tune it to standard once and the high-e snapped.. It was an old string to be fair, it was in need of replacing.. but that's my experience.

Sure you'll be fine, they're a great company Ernie Ball.

Just be careful with your Truss Rod.. If you're miles off a guitar technician like I am, just do tiny turns at a time, while I doubt you'd snap your neck if you cranked it wildly, it wouldn't do it any good haha.

Or just get a buddy who's done it before to do it, I ain't got the guts to do my own haha.
Blackstar HT-5 mini-stack
Ibanez Tubescream TS9
Ibanez RG3EXFM1

Quote by lucky1978
If you're just playing at home or with friends, do it dude. Chicks dig stacks! Crank out some Metallica and do a couple of single moms!

I ask many questions.
Last edited by Into Exile at Apr 8, 2012,
Quote by oneblackened

I never said it was unfixable... I was simply stating that if he thinks he can just go from B to E standard with the same set of strings and make no adjustments he can't... if he leaves it, he'll up-bow his neck. Of course he can use thick strings. I use beefy slinkys in e standard every once in a while, but to say he can go back and forth without an issue "because jazz guys use heavy sets" isn't exactly true in the sense that he isn't going to have to reset half his guitar if he intends to leave it in one tuning for an extended period of time...
Ibanez S2170FB Prestige + Crunch Lab
Ibanez RG1570MRR Prestige + Crunch Lab
Taylor 214CE
Peavey 6505MH + Orange PPC112 + TS9 + ISP Decimator + MXR 10-Band EQ

Watch and subscribe to my guitar ventures!
Search Nick Catelli on YouTube
Good luck getting a 60 up to E.

That's a pretty huge change. If you're going to be doing that often, I highly suggest you invest in a second guitar for alternate tunings. Even if it's just a beater, you'll be better off than putting that kind of stress on your neck so often.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Good luck getting a 60 up to E.

That's a pretty huge change. If you're going to be doing that often, I highly suggest you invest in a second guitar for alternate tunings. Even if it's just a beater, you'll be better off than putting that kind of stress on your neck so often.

Yep, I'm beginning to think it's better to wait and buy some other guitar for alternate tunings when I'll have the money.
Dude, try Dean Markley .012-.056. They come with a wound 3rd.

Wound 3rds is about as evil as it gets.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."