I'm learning to play Estudio 9 by Sor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayOII0ftRoM

When I played it for my instructor, he said that I had to work on my muting because he could hear a note ringing out when it's supposed to be played staccato (actually each note is an eighth note with an eighth note in between). I slowed it down and I noticed when I played the higher 3 strings, it made the A string sound. For some reason, it doesn't sound when I play the low E or D strings even if I'm playing the higher strings at the same time.

Is there something wrong with my guitar? I'm muting by planting my (right hand) fingers on the strings I just played to stop them from sounding. I'm doing nothing that I'm aware of to cause the A string to sound.

Thanks for any help.

EDIT: I just noticed that it only happens with the first chord, which is Am played on the higher 3 strings. Does that have to do anything with it? Because the root note is an A?

Same thing with a the second chord, E except the low E string rings out, which again is the root.

Last edited by d1sturbed4eva at Apr 7, 2012,
Quote by d1sturbed4eva
EDIT: I just noticed that it only happens with the first chord, which is Am played on the higher 3 strings. Does that have to do anything with it? Because the root note is an A?

Same thing with a the second chord, E except the low E string rings out, which again is the root.

I'd say it's just sympathetic resonance, since it's in tune with the octaves.

Just for laughs, try some other chords. See if D-4 rings with D major, (or minor), open.

I'd hazard a guess it's more like there's "something right" with your guitar, rather than "something wrong" with it. It seems like it's got a nice resonant, harmonically rich, body and soundboard.
Quote by Captaincranky

Just for laughs, try some other chords. See if D-4 rings with D major, (or minor), open.

Yup, same thing

Quote by Captaincranky
I'd hazard a guess it's more like there's "something right" with your guitar, rather than "something wrong" with it. It seems like it's got a nice resonant, harmonically rich, body and soundboard.

Yeah I love the tone I get with my guitar It's just annoying that the note rings out when nothing is supposed to be sounding. I guess it's not that noticable.