Put all personal preference aside and tell me, is the Who the greatest ensemble of musicians to ever be in a band? Remember, I'm not counting songs here, just their skills on their instruments.

Entwistle and Moon are always listed among the top for their respective instruments and depending on the list, Townshend usually makes an appearance. Daltrey is by no means a bad singer, but in comparison to the other three, he isn't as skilled.

Moon - Monster on the drums.

Entwistle - Lightning fingers, bass solos, made bass a lead instrument, contributed the catchy brass on songs such as 5:15.

Townshend - Famous guitar riffs, piano riffs, synthesiser on Won't Get Fooled Again, Who Are You, etc.

Daltrey - Average to good vocalist. Great hard ROCK vocalist.
I always felt that the members of Rush were more skilled at their instruments than the members of The Who.
Quote by iamonlykidding
I always felt that the members of Rush were more skilled at their instruments than the members of The Who.

Yeah, that.

And Protest The Hero.
Quote by willT08
Quote by HowSoonisNow
How was Confucius death metal?
You've clearly never read any Confuscius.

As I wait on the edge of the earth,
I can see the walls being torn down again
Only to be rebuilt in another name,
On a different day
The Who are amazing, no doubt, but I'd have to say Led Zeppelin is a better ensemble, counting skills on their instruments.
Bonzo: insanely beastly drummer, with killer grooves and fills
Robert Plant: great singer, great range
JPJ: amazing bass player with great grooves, killer on the organ/piano/synth Also a great songwriter, as seen in No Quarter
Jimmy Page: great guitarist, amazing songwriter, with many great solos under his belt
Honestly I don't think Townshend is that great of a player. He writes very solid and catchy songs but compared to others in his day and now he just isn't among the best. Moon and Entwistle however, are probably the best thing about the band. Both massively creative and skilled on their instruments. Best part of The Who. Daltrey he sings with emotion and power. As far as if they're the greatest band ever it's a matter of personal opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAHellraiser
Go into Guitar Center and tell them you are willing to spend $3000 on as many Spider and MG half stacks as they can give you.
All objective reasoning aside, shame on those who think The Who ISN'T the greatest ensemble of musicians of all time.
Gretsch 5120
Fender Jazzmaster
MIM Fender Strat
Fender Blues Junior
Fender Hot Rod Deville 212
Misc Pedals
Debating a 'best' is pointless, is fun, but I'd have to give it to The Funk Brothers.
Protest is badass and I look forward to where they go;

It would have to be Maiden for me though, each one's of them is amazing at what they do but it's when the come together as a band that they really shine.

Be it vocals, drums, guitar, bass everything about them is topnotch and just flows together seamlessly.
I hate Daltrey's vocals. I much prefer Pete's cuz he sounds so pedestrian for a world class rock band.
If we're talking about the greatest ensemble and not just rock, then here's just a few. There are so many....

Return to Forever
Mahavishnu Orchestra
Weather Report (especially any variation w/ Jaco Pastorius)
Sting's various bands as a solo artist
Joni Mitchell w/ Jaco, Pat Metheny, Michael Brecker, Don Alias, Lyle Mays
Frank Zappa's various bands
John Coltrane's "classic quartet"
Miles Davis' "first great quartet"

Miles Davis' "second great quartet":
Ron Carter
Wayne Shorter
Herbie Hancock
Tony Williams

^Now that is just disgusting.
Quote by KevinFreund
Honestly I don't think Townshend is that great of a player. He writes very solid and catchy songs but compared to others in his day and now he just isn't among the best. Moon and Entwistle however, are probably the best thing about the band. Both massively creative and skilled on their instruments. Best part of The Who. Daltrey he sings with emotion and power. As far as if they're the greatest band ever it's a matter of personal opinion.

I don't believe Townshend ever showed the full extent of his playing with the Who. I think he put most of his effort into the overall sound of his song, rather than his guitar work.
Quote by AussiePage
I don't believe Townshend ever showed the full extent of his playing with the Who. I think he put most of his effort into the overall sound of his song, rather than his guitar work.

Pete Townshend has never shown nor demonstrated any flash of being a skilled guitarist with The Who or his solo stuff because he is not that skilled. However, he's very influential as a guitarist because he was innovative and wrote some damn good music for one of the most influential bands ever, which I think is more important than technique.
Excluding the vocalist, I would honestly go for Psyopus if we are talking about proficiency. Chris Arp has skills which would surprise even Gilbert.

In terms of musicality, I would go for Extra Life. Charlie Looker is a genius IMO. Others include Coltrane's trio, Radiohead and a few others which I can't remember.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Last edited by Banjocal at Apr 8, 2012,
Quote by roushsn95
Pete Townshend has never shown nor demonstrated any flash of being a skilled guitarist with The Who or his solo stuff because he is not that skilled. However, he's very influential as a guitarist because he was innovative and wrote some damn good music for one of the most influential bands ever, which I think is more important than technique.

I'll respect your right to say that, but definitely not agree with it .

He was always putting rhythm guitar first, before lead.

He clearly had great skills, not the best (by far), but great skills.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtsqgT0ltIw&feature=related
Last edited by AussiePage at Apr 8, 2012,
Quote by AussiePage
I'll respect your right to say that, but definitely not agree with it .

He was always putting rhythm guitar first, before lead.

He clearly had great skills, not the best (by far), but great skills.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtsqgT0ltIw&feature=related

He's not that skilled a guitarist, in fact, his soloing in the video is really sloppy.

But I don't think that means anything. Pete Townshend's greatest skill was his ability to write great music, his innovation and he had great stage presence. These are what made him a great, influential guitarist, not his technical abilities.