Hey what's up acoustic UG, I have a question about replacing the nut on my 12 string. I've got an Alvarez jumbo, and I love it, but I'd like to be able to switch the bass strings so the lower octave is the string closer to the top of the guitar (like George Harrison had on his Rickenbacker) to get more bass in my sound as I'm using it for a lot of solo stuff. I could make the groove on the nut a little wider but then somehow I'd have to fill in the other one to accommodate the higher octave. Is this possible, or does anyone make specialty nuts to do this? Answers will be much appreciated, thanks in advance.

this is the guitar: http://www.gordonlasalle.com/servlet/-strse-24674/Alvarez-AJ60SC12-Artist-Series/Detail
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
You're basically looking at buying a blank nut and filing it out yourself. An accurate set of nut files is a considerable investment. I haven't seen specialty nuts such as you're describing off the shelf.

Myself, I'd just plug the sucker in and EQ to where you want it.

A big 12 string can generate a bunch of bass, it's just that our ears are more sensitive at higher frequencies.

So, you'd boost the bass, drop the middle, and drop the high even more. (This assumes a 3 band EQ. A pedal EQ would give you even more control. The amp doesn't have to be turned up very loud at all, you just reinforce certain frequencies, and cut others.

This is more or less the opposite approach from The Byrds Roger McGuinn, who used to use a ton of mid range boost, for that nasal signature sound of theirs.
thanks for the response man, i am using a 3 band EQ, i'll try out cranking the bass, much appreciated
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
Quote by Swannie
Hey what's up acoustic UG, I have a question about replacing the nut on my 12 string. I've got an Alvarez jumbo, and I love it, but I'd like to be able to switch the bass strings so the lower octave is the string closer to the top of the guitar (like George Harrison had on his Rickenbacker) to get more bass in my sound as I'm using it for a lot of solo stuff. I could make the groove on the nut a little wider but then somehow I'd have to fill in the other one to accommodate the higher octave. Is this possible, or does anyone make specialty nuts to do this? Answers will be much appreciated, thanks in advance.

this is the guitar: http://www.gordonlasalle.com/servlet/-strse-24674/Alvarez-AJ60SC12-Artist-Series/Detail

Swannie, while it would mean being without the guitar for a time, I've a feeling Bob Colosi of Custom Guitar Saddles fame would do the job for you. Drop him an email and see. Wondering if you could send him your existing nut and have him fashion a new one to your specs. Then it would just be an easy plug and play job for you once you got them both back. He also has a very large selection of blanks if you're so inclined.
Either way, there's no harm in asking right? Here's his link:

http://www.guitarsaddles.com/default.asp