I'm looking for a new amp for playing thrash and heavy metal, some classic stuff and a nice clean tone, price range around $300. Which would you recommend?
Where do you live?
Do you gig or play just for fun?
Are you willing to go used?
Used Peavey XXX or Ultra combo.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I play for fun alone, with friends, and gig once in a while, I've heard that Peavey Vypyr is nice and the Fender Mustang III?
I've heard those Marshall MG's are pretty brutal. MG is supposed to stand for "Maximum Gore" or something.
Tastes like chicken, if chicken was a candy.
Quote by ConfederateAxe
I've heard those Marshall MG's are pretty brutal. MG is supposed to stand for "Maximum Gore" or something.

Yeah those things are br00tal!!!

Joking, the distortion is terrible.
"You're not hardcore unless you live hardcore"
ya marshall mg is not good for metal, i have one but i use a distortion pedal for metal stuff
Quote by Slayterica
ya marshall mg is not good for metal, i have one but i use a distortion pedal for metal stuff

lol do you use the Digitech Deathcore pedal as well?
Can you not save up any more money? Sell something or something..

I was massively impatient, when I had the money I spent it immediately without really giving more than a week's thought to it... Now I wished I'd waited a few months and saved up for an amp I absolutely knew I wanted.

You might be able to get a used Valveking combo for 300 bucks, you'd be lucky, but it's not unheard of.

But realistically, I don't think you'll get anything you wont want to sell in a years time for that money. If it's not an urgent buy, just wait for more money.. if waiting 6 months doubled your budget you wouldn't regret waiting it in a years time.
Blackstar HT-5 mini-stack
Ibanez Tubescream TS9
Ibanez RG3EXFM1

Quote by lucky1978
If you're just playing at home or with friends, do it dude. Chicks dig stacks! Crank out some Metallica and do a couple of single moms!

I ask many questions.
^ Depends on where you live I guess, but I've seen the ValveKing 112's go for insanely low prices. Like $175 low. $200-250 is the average asking price. Where I am, they're a dime a dozen.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
they're like £450 new in the UK. Which is near enough 600$.
Blackstar HT-5 mini-stack
Ibanez Tubescream TS9
Ibanez RG3EXFM1

Quote by lucky1978
If you're just playing at home or with friends, do it dude. Chicks dig stacks! Crank out some Metallica and do a couple of single moms!

I ask many questions.
If you can save up some more money you can get a 6505+ combo. They're definitely loud enough for gigging.

The Peavey Vypyr is also another option. I used to own a 75 watt. It's gig-worthy. Played a melodeath show with it, had the volume at around 11 o'clock and it was plenty loud. Just beware of feedback if you're using cheap cables or if you like to crank the gain.

There are also a few low cost Randall, Albion, and Blackstar amps you might consider, though with the Albion and Blackstar I'd recommend getting an overdrive with them because, though they can get some pretty good metal tones, they're not "high gain" amps per say.
Quote by ticktockboom
lol do you use the Digitech Deathcore pedal as well?

actually a digitech metal master, good guess tho lol, but thats just for practice
Watch yourself about advising the 6505+ combo around here. I think its a great little amp for what its worth but I think I was mocked by a couple of dummies because it wasn't a full stack on another thread.
Quote by JBailey23
Watch yourself about advising the 6505+ combo around here. I think its a great little amp for what its worth but I think I was mocked by a couple of dummies because it wasn't a full stack on another thread.

Where? I'll go over there and kick the shit out of make fun of them with you!!
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
The 6505 isn't really going to give you a good clean tone. It sounds like you're a beginner, if that is the case, I'd go for a Vypyr 30 watt just so you have enough versatility to explore what sounds you really enjoy and it's loud enough to jam with a drummer.

I wouldn't buy something recommended to me over 2-300 bucks if I wasn't sure what I wanted first, but that's just me.

In the end if you do want the 6505 or a Dual Recto etc, the Vypyr would still be a great practice amp
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Anyway I have technically statutory raped #nice

Quote by EndThecRinge51
once a girl and i promised to never leave each other

since that promise was broken

i dont make promises any more
The problem with a 1x12 and an amp with a big power section, especially a dark high-gain one, is the speaker will distort. Making you sound like poop.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
The problem with a 1x12 and an amp with a big power section, especially a dark high-gain one, is the speaker will distort. Making you sound like poop.

Depends on the speaker.

I already sound like poop...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin