Page 1 of 2
Are there any SE's that don't have a flat top? I got to play an SE the other day, and I really wanted to like it, I think they look amazing, but it was just way too flat. The body was completely flat, the fretboard was flat, and it was just an unfortunate playing experience for something I wanted to like.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I had the same thought after I bought mine (bought it online after never playing one, it was a brand new CHEAP prs, as if anyone would pass up the chance especially from my country) but I actually just got used to it, I don't prefer the flat tops, but again it becomes trivial after a while.
The old Santana SE has a curved top. I have one, its my favorite guitar.
all the single cut models are.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by TheDuckMajor
The new SE range (or maybe just the SE custom 24 styles) that are coming out int june are gonna have bevelled tops. They're basically semi-carved + they come in way better colours than before.

http://www.prsguitars.com/secustom24/#
http://www.prsguitars.com/secustom24/colors.php

The colors section make the SEs look bevelled, but when you go into the pics they look flat top still
I'll pretend I can mod your amp but break it instead.
Last edited by guitarlord28 at Apr 8, 2012,
Quote by guitarlord28
The colors section make the SEs look bevelled, but when you go into the pics they look flat top still

Go to the specs section.
'Top Wood: Beveled Maple Top and Flame Maple Veneer'

The Singlecut and SE245 models also have beveled tops.
All the singlecuts models and santana had a beveled top, and the nwe custom 24 shaped (as the Dave Navaro and the Orianthi) now have bevel top as well.
Quote by guitarlord28

I noticed that as well yeah, but as said the spec sheet does confirm they're bevelled. Except for the Santana one which doesn't mention it specifically but you hear reviewers mention it left and right on YT :-)
PRS SE Custom 22 <3
Fender Stratocaster '57 RI
Fender Super Champ XD
Tanglewood TW115 CW
...what they all said.
Richard

I tried setting my password to "penis". It said my password wasn't long enough.

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister
TC Electronic Nova System

PBT Native
And this new line of SE 24s comes out in June? Top of my list for a new guitar!
I'll pretend I can mod your amp but break it instead.
The custom semi hollow isn't..from what I recall...
Quote by Pan-Tallica
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
But theres no reason why i cant be free like a raspberry stuck to the back of a horny elephants ass.

This is maybe the worst comparison in the history of comparisons.
Quote by n1ckn1ce
They cant carve it becausse its hollow, in fact.

i don't think this is accurate info.
Veneer? There meant to be a luxury guitar company selling guitars they'll charge 500 quid for and the bastard are putting veneer on it?
SMILE!
Quote by Mr.DeadDuck
Veneer? There meant to be a luxury guitar company selling guitars they'll charge 500 quid for and the bastard are putting veneer on it?

you do realize that most guitars under about $750 new have veneer tops on them right?

oh, that's a big light to go on all of a sudden.
Quote by gregs1020
you do realize that most guitars under about $750 new have veneer tops on them right?

oh, that's a big light to go on all of a sudden.

Most do but my Godin that wasn't made in Korea, and has Seymour Duncan pick ups has about half an inch of flame maple. So either Godin are a charity trying to give quality guitars at good prices or PRS are overpriced give that my Godin was 420 pounds.
SMILE!
Last edited by Mr.DeadDuck at Apr 10, 2012,
Quote by Mr.DeadDuck

Don't know about your Godin, but veneer is still wood. Nothing wrong with it. And the SE line isn't exactly a "luxury" line. That's the whole point of the line -- affordable guitars with good features, that play very well...
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
Quote by richardlpalmer
Don't know about your Godin, but veneer is still wood. Nothing wrong with it. And the SE line isn't exactly a "luxury" line. That's the whole point of the line -- affordable guitars with good features, that play very well...

a thin strip to make the illusion of a maple seems cheating to me, and we all know how in fallible Korean constuction is and the features are okay for the price at best.
SMILE!
Quote by Mr.DeadDuck
a thin strip to make the illusion of a maple seems cheating to me, and we all know how in fallible Korean constuction is and the features are okay for the price at best.

None of what you said is valid.

It's not an illusion -- it's a veneer. That's what it is -- a thin sheet of real wood. It's not a photograph or paint. It's a veneer. That's not "cheating", it's making a product and saying exactly what it is.

Korean construction is not poor. Don't know where you got that idea, but it's just not true. An awful lot of great guitars are Korean-made.

I guess your last statement could be true for you. But the features are excellent for the price in my opinion. They're stage/gig worthy guitars right out of the box. And they're durable (not just talking finishes here, but hardware & electronics).

YMMV.

Not sure what the purpose of your posts are, but it sounds to me like you're out to either prove something or simply bash this line...
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
Quote by richardlpalmer
None of what you said is valid.

It's not an illusion -- it's a veneer. That's what it is -- a thin sheet of real wood. It's not a photograph or paint. It's a veneer. That's not "cheating", it's making a product and saying exactly what it is.

Korean construction is not poor. Don't know where you got that idea, but it's just not true. An awful lot of great guitars are Korean-made.

I guess your last statement could be true for you. But the features are excellent for the price in my opinion. They're stage/gig worthy guitars right out of the box. And they're durable (not just talking finishes here, but hardware & electronics).

YMMV.

Not sure what the purpose of your posts are, but it sounds to me like you're out to either prove something or simply bash this line...

Are you saying a veneer isn't designed to give the appearance of a maple cap?

The quality control of guitars out of korea is inferior to american and japanese and mexican guitars in my opinion and experiance. That is a fact you might have had different experience but I don't care.

I don't think the features are excellent because they are not as good as the features I got on a guitar I paid a similar amount for, that's it I have no hidden agenda I was just surprised that PRS were going down the veneer route.
SMILE!
Quote by Mr.DeadDuck
Are you saying a veneer isn't designed to give the appearance of a maple cap?

The quality control of guitars out of korea is inferior to american and japanese and mexican guitars in my opinion and experiance. That is a fact you might have had different experience but I don't care.

I don't think the features are excellent because they are not as good as the features I got on a guitar I paid a similar amount for, that's it I have no hidden agenda I was just surprised that PRS were going down the veneer route.

the veneer goes over a maple cap. they are two different things.

both are made of wood.

and godin has used them for years bro. they glue it to the maple cap just like prs does.

learn to learn.
Quote by gregs1020
the veneer goes over a maple cap. they are two different things.

both are made of wood.

and godin has used them for years bro. they glue it to the maple cap just like prs does.

learn to learn.

Bullshit what would be the point in gluing a thin piece of maple of maple? It's used on mahogany guitars so pretty much all mahogany guitar has the appearance of a maple cap.
SMILE!
Quote by Mr.DeadDuck
Bullshit what would be the point in gluing a thin piece of maple to maple?

Because an ugly slab of maple is cheaper than a nice flamed or quilted piece, and veneers are cheap.

They use cheaper maple for the cap then veneer it to make it look nice.

I thought this was common knowledge?
Don't waste your time guys. Even Wankers can be a Troll. Already dealt with them earlier today. No amount of facts or logic will sink through the Troll skull. It's been scientifically proven.
Quote by thehikingdude
Don't waste your time guys. Even Wankers can be a Troll. Already dealt with them earlier today. No amount of facts or logic will sink through the Troll skull. It's been scientifically proven.

SRS DO YOU OWN A PRS T SHIRT?

I'm not trolling I'm calmly presenting facts you can't argue with so you decide to launch personal attacks.
SMILE!
Quote by Sampy
Because an ugly slab of maple is cheaper than a nice flamed or quilted piece, and veneers are cheap.

They use cheaper maple for the cap then veneer it to make it look nice.

I thought this was common knowledge?

It is common knowledge that this is done, I just know it wasn't on my guitar as it said otherwise in the spec.
SMILE!
Quote by Mr.DeadDuck
SRS DO YOU OWN A PRS T SHIRT?

I'm not trolling I'm calmly presenting facts you can't argue with so you decide to launch personal attacks.

I never mentioned anybody. Are you volunteering?
Quote by thehikingdude
I never mentioned anybody. Are you volunteering?

You've got two haven't you?
SMILE!
Quote by Mr.DeadDuck
You've got two haven't you?

Either you're 12 or you drive a big trick. Which one is it?
Quote by thehikingdude
Either you're 12 or you drive a big trick. Which one is it?

I'm 18 and don't drive but seriously you are such as stupid fan boy it hurts.
You've got such a stupid attachment to the company that you can't even see I was just making honest enquiries. You're the one that can't deal with polite questioning and you're the one that needs to grow up.
SMILE!
Quote by Mr.DeadDuck
I'm 18 and don't drive but seriously you are such as stupid fan boy it hurts.
You've got such a stupid attachment to the company that you can't even see I was just making honest enquiries. You're the one that can't deal with polite questioning and you're the one that needs to grow up.

Notice that you were getting particularly defensive of your Godin when it was pointed out that they use the same caps that PRS use on their SE lines.
'Polite questioning' also doesn't include calling someone's statement 'bullshit' as you claimed a few posts up.
Quote by samjbow
Notice that you were getting particularly defensive of your Godin when it was pointed out that they use the same caps that PRS use on their SE lines.
'Polite questioning' also doesn't include calling someone's statement 'bullshit' as you claimed a few posts up.

That's because while I knew Godin did employ veneers on some models they're not on the model I have which means my original argument of a better guitar for the same price does stand up. I didn't say bullshit to you because I knew you would have freaked out, cried and maybe told your mum on me =/
SMILE!
Quote by samjbow

Along with a blatant disregard for anybody and their opinion. Yet we are the ones attacking him. Gimme a break.
easy dumbass i have two PRS shirts.

i have 3 gibson shirts, a fender shirt, and i think a blackstar shirt.

oh and a peters shirt.

veneers are cheap, everyone uses them.

wake up stupid.
Quote by Mr.DeadDuck
That's because while I knew Godin did employ veneers on some models they're not on the model I have which means my original argument of a better guitar for the same price does stand up. I didn't say bullshit to you because I knew you would have freaked out, cried and maybe told your mum on me =/

The statement I just made was the first statement I've made in this argument. Just sayin'.
Quote by gregs1020
easy dumbass i have two PRS shirts.

i have 3 gibson shirts, a fender shirt, and i think a blackstar shirt.

oh and a peters shirt.

veneers are cheap, everyone uses them.

wake up stupid.

I can't explain how much I don't care about all that, my argument was Godin sold a model for 420 GBP (about the same as a PRS SE) the had a solid maple cap and seymour duncan pick ups that was better spec'd than the PRS with it's veneer and PRS pickups. That is all, I know veneer is a valid form of guitar production and I know you all love PRS but the fact is given the above is true the SE isn't the best value out there

Edit: at Samj sorry though you were someone else.
SMILE!
Page 1 of 2