Page 1 of 2
It's starting to get right on my tits!
I've been using a Digitech Death Metal pedal recently and the amp keeps locking up after a while specially if I try some of the other amps during the same session, it's almost like it can't handle the signal. I can only get a decent sound using the pedal on the green Twin amp channel as well, all others sound flabby or just pure crap. The high gain amps on the left sound too messy with the pedal engaged, I find those amps are not heavy enough for me just using what the amp has.
I'm contenplating (again ) another amp, something which is not a modelling amp, something simple but can handle high gain.
I'd say my budget is £150 and I'd be looking at second hand, I play mainly metal (thrash, hardcore, sludge etc) so it must be able to handle a crushing amount of distortion.
I've also got a EHX Big Muff and expecting delivery of an MXR Fullbore Metal pedal next week so I can ditch the Digitech.
It must have a headphone out as I play in the house mainly, a line out for quiet recording would be handy but not a must as I also have mics for recording the amp when the missus is out lol.
I've read it's pointless getting a tube amp if you're using distortion pedals, is that a correct rule of thumb?
Anyway, I've rattled on too much.
First of all, do you have the 15W version? Because the models on the Vypyr make that Digitech pedal look like a toy (which it is, for all intents and purposes). The only way your disappointment could be explained is either the 8" speaker in the 15, or you just have no idea how to dial in the amp. I'm guessing the case is the former here.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Sorry yes, it's the 75W version. I got that one mainly because it has the usb out but I've found it has a lot of crackle and totally unuseable, I can get a much better recorded sound via the headphone out and micing.
I'd sell the vypyr if you really want a new amp, 150 (which is around 200 usd according to google) isn't going to go far at all, especially if you want something for a pedal. You'd probably have to go used for something halfway decent to.
No it's totally not true that getting a tube amp is pointless if you're going to use Pedals. Whoever said that is an idiot. But even if that was the case you won't be able to find a tube amp at that price that isn't 1w and only has a 8" speaker.
Quote by TheDuckMajor
No it's totally not true that getting a tube amp is pointless if you're going to use Pedals. Whoever said that is an idiot. But even if that was the case you won't be able to find a tube amp at that price that isn't 1w and only has a 8" speaker.

I must have overlooked this part, oh my god lol.

You do realize that like 99% of rock/metal guitarists use tube amps, typically with pedals to?
Check out the Ampeg VH140. You liked metal? Well this one does it.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by Beezerk
It's starting to get right on my tits!
I've been using a Digitech Death Metal pedal recently and the amp keeps locking up after a while specially if I try some of the other amps during the same session, it's almost like it can't handle the signal. I can only get a decent sound using the pedal on the green Twin amp channel as well, all others sound flabby or just pure crap. The high gain amps on the left sound too messy with the pedal engaged, I find those amps are not heavy enough for me just using what the amp has.
I'm contenplating (again ) another amp, something which is not a modelling amp, something simple but can handle high gain.
I'd say my budget is £150 and I'd be looking at second hand, I play mainly metal (thrash, hardcore, sludge etc) so it must be able to handle a crushing amount of distortion.
I've also got a EHX Big Muff and expecting delivery of an MXR Fullbore Metal pedal next week so I can ditch the Digitech.
It must have a headphone out as I play in the house mainly, a line out for quiet recording would be handy but not a must as I also have mics for recording the amp when the missus is out lol.
I've read it's pointless getting a tube amp if you're using distortion pedals, is that a correct rule of thumb?
Anyway, I've rattled on too much.

Why the **** are you using so many distortion pedals through a Vypyr? The vypyr has great amp models...
Also, nice pedals through a nice tube amp are great...so much misinformation.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
I HATE THE DEATH METAL! It makes any amp sound like shit, and i suggest you sell it. The vypyr is great and you should just take time to dial in your tones to perfect them without any shitty pedals
My Rig
Fender Blacktop Strat HH MN > Joyo JF-01 Vintage Overdrive > Boss ME50 > Line 6 Spider IV 30

Other Shit
Jim Deacon Acoustic
Yamaha 12 string acoustic

New Amp Fund
£300/700
Quote by zomgguitarz1234
I must have overlooked this part, oh my god lol.

You do realize that like 99% of rock/metal guitarists use tube amps, typically with pedals to?

I know I know, I read it somewhere recently and it kinda stuck for some reason lol.
Quote by AJScott
Blackstar.

A second hand Blackstar HT5 combo is on my list, there's one local to me (North East UK) which I'm waiting to hear about.
Quote by Eppicurt
Why the **** are you using so many distortion pedals through a Vypyr? The vypyr has great amp models...
Also, nice pedals through a nice tube amp are great...so much misinformation.

Yes mate there are some great amp setting but I cannot get a heavy enough sound with the amp alone, I've spent hours and hours dialling in tones but they are just not growly enough for me.
It's also the locking up which is getting me down, I've read lots of similar problems on the Peavey forum so I may just have to cut my losses.
Okay, so speaker size isn't the issue. What amp models and effects are you using? There is no logical reason why you should feel the need to use a crappy pedal like the Death Metal over the built in models. Either you can't dial in a tone to save your life, or there's something actually wrong with the Vypyr. Given that you're having freezing issues, that could be the case.

Are you updated to the latest firmware? That supposedly fixes the freezing issue.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Beezerk
Yes mate there are some great amp setting but I cannot get a heavy enough sound with the amp alone, I've spent hours and hours dialling in tones but they are just not growly enough for me.
It's also the locking up which is getting me down, I've read lots of similar problems on the Peavey forum so I may just have to cut my losses.

Lol. EQ fail. But 150 pounds isn't going to buy you anything spectacularly better. Expand your budget a bit and get this.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Laney-VC30-112-All-Tube-Class-A-Amplifier-and-2-x-10-Extension-Cabinet-/190664130946?pt=UK_MusicalInstr_Amplifiers_RL&hash=item2c6477c182#ht_720wt_1270 or http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Peavey-ValveKing-VK112-combo-amp-/150792006282?pt=UK_MusicalInstr_Amplifiers_RL&hash=item231be76a8a#ht_649wt_1270 , and http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HARDWIRE-TL-2-Metal-Distortion-Digitech-/280844561707?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&hash=item4163a3ed2b#ht_1223wt_1037
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Last edited by Eppicurt at Apr 8, 2012,
If you want more drive, maybe get a tubescreamer. The Digitech Death Metal is total wank mate. Find a half decent tone and then get an OD pedal to boost the gain. This will be cheaper than getting a whole new amp because £150 isnt going to get you anything better than the Vypyr.
MY METALZ YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Quote by angusfan16
Okay UG where's my refund and free xbox. I need It for my 80 yr old grandma. She needs a new flower pot
Quote by zomgguitarz1234
I think he's expecting a low end SS to sound like a high gain tube amp when it's cranked.

Dunno mate but it aint cutting it, in all honesty I did buy it on a whim and it was a stupid bargain but I didn't really do much research about amps before I got it.

*epic fail*
There isn't really anything I can think of that would be better than what you have for that price.

The first thing I would do is sell the Death Metal pedal. I would say sell the other pedals as well as they really have no use if you are using a modelling amp.

Use that extra money to upgrade to a larger model of a Vypyr. The sound difference between the tube ones and the non-tube ones is huge.

But yes, using any kind of pedal with a modelling amp is pointless.

EDIT: You could possibly get a used 6505+ combo, they go for just over £200 here.
Last edited by Random3 at Apr 8, 2012,
Modelling is boring.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by Beezerk
Dunno mate but it aint cutting it, in all honesty I did buy it on a whim and it was a stupid bargain but I didn't really do much research about amps before I got it.

*epic fail*

Well I think the only company that really makes combos of their high gain amps is peavey, and maybe marshall

Quote by Random3
EDIT: You could possibly get a used 6505+ combo, they go for just over £200 here.

Heres a bit of trivia on peaveys shit

3120 = XXX
XXX II = JSX
6505 = 5150
6505+ = 5150 II

These are all good metal amps (6505/5150 is used a lot in the metal scene) so see if there are any combos for them.

Most people prefer the 6505.

Also Guitar center gets a lot of shit because their employees are incompetent, but their used site is superb http://used.guitarcenter.com/usedGear/index.cfm
They also have to tell you about all the problems a piece of equipment has (if you contact them first that is...), and you can take it back within 30 days if you don't like it. I doubt anywhere else does that.

edit; You might just be better off dialing a decent setting on the vypyr though
Last edited by zomgguitarz1234 at Apr 8, 2012,
^^^^^

Funnilly enough my mate suggested an old Marshall amp instead of the Peavey.
In my experience, the vypyr had more than enough gain for pretty much anything... You sure you're not on the green channel?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by Beezerk
^^^^^

Funnilly enough my mate suggested an old Marshall amp instead of the Peavey.

Marshalls are pretty huge because old thrash bands use to use them, but I'm not sure if the models those bands use have a combo version.

I think the big players in the metal world are Peavey, Marshall, Mesa, Engl, Axe-FX, and probably some other brand that I forgot to name off the top of my head so I'll get a bunch of crap for it.

I'd say Peavey and Marshall combos are the only ones within your range.
Last edited by zomgguitarz1234 at Apr 8, 2012,
Do you think a Peavey Valveking Royal 8 is a step backwards from the 75W Vypyr?
It's a lot smaller which is a good thing and is obviously a valve amp, also a lot cheaper new but I've decided I want a bare amp instead of modelling.
Quote by Beezerk
I find those amps are not heavy enough for me just using what the amp has.
O_O... What??

Either you aren't using the amp right, or you need to learn how to play with less gain and not use a shitload of distortion to cover up your mistakes.

The Vypyr already has too much gain as it is, absolutely NO need for a pedal WHATSOEVER AT ALL. Anyone who says a Vypyr lacks distortion is a complete idiot.
Last edited by Ian_the_fox at Apr 9, 2012,
Quote by Beezerk
Do you think a Peavey Valveking Royal 8 is a step backwards from the 75W Vypyr?
It's a lot smaller which is a good thing and is obviously a valve amp, also a lot cheaper new but I've decided I want a bare amp instead of modelling.

Step backward.

You need a bigger budget before jumping amps imo. 150 is not enough. A regular Valveking 112 would fine for you with a speaker swap but forget about the Royal 8.

I agree, you need to tweak your tone some more and quit relying on pedals. I have a Vypyr 60 and amount of distortion on the Recto and Diezel models, for example, is insane. The only pedal I've use in this regard was an OD pedal (Digitech Bad Monkey) and it worked like a champ. Not sure how that would sound on your SS Vypyr 75.
Obviously I like different music to you lot then lol.
I recorded a few red amp models (Rec, Dzl etc) without a distortion pedal and then Twin on green with a distortion pedal, the difference to my ears was immense, the red channels just did not cut it for me. Ok for fag metal but not what I'd call a proper heavy sound.
I'm not a great player (I'm a drummer by trade) but I know a heavy guitar sound from a insipid Metallica type sound
Quote by Beezerk
Twin on green with a distortion pedal, the difference to my ears was immense, the red channels just did not cut it for me. Ok for fag metal but not what I'd call a proper heavy sound.
If you are saying a cheapass fizzy distortion pedal maxed out to the point of sounding like dressed-up TV static gives a "proper metal sound" to your ears, than you are actually the player of "fag metal".
Quote by Beezerk
Obviously I like different music to you lot then lol.
I recorded a few red amp models (Rec, Dzl etc) without a distortion pedal and then Twin on green with a distortion pedal, the difference to my ears was immense, the red channels just did not cut it for me. Ok for fag metal but not what I'd call a proper heavy sound.
I'm not a great player (I'm a drummer by trade) but I know a heavy guitar sound from a insipid Metallica type sound

I don't know what you're doing, but you're doing something wrong. My Rec setting on my Vypyr Tube sounds immense. Much heavier sounding than 311's clip, btw. So not sure what kind of EQ you're using, or if you just don't know how to play heavy, so you need a stupid amount of distortion to compensate.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I loved the ss vypyrs that I've tried. Very easy to dial in great metal tones, and like others have said: A stupid amount of gain is available on the left amp models. And if that's not enough for you, use the tube screamer stomp effect. Either yours is broke or you don't understand how to set it up the way you want it to sound.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
I don't have my vypyr any more, but I could get about this much gain out of it with little trouble: http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=11135923&q=hi&newref=1

I don't understand your issue. That's a lot of gain.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I remember A-Bing a Vypyr and a 5150 at my local store 9 months back, and I'd have to say that the Vypyr's 6505's model is basically largely spot on the sound you'd get from the 5150. While the XXX matches what I remember of the tone of the XXX.

Similarly the Rec is helluva heavy, altho the recto sag isn't spot-on, it still sounds great. The K-stein model isn't far off from the dry cutting tone I get on my Krank Rev Jr Pro.

Between these 4 models, if you have issues getting a brootal tone that'll make a eunuch hit higher notes, there's something seriously wrong with your amp, or your ears.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Dude, if This isn't enough gain for you, you're doing it wrong. Metallica's heavy sound is created from layers and layers of guitar tracks, not waaaaaaaay too much gain. Playing cleanly and knowing how to get the sound that you need out of the speakers with your hands is huge. No amount of crappy distortion pedals is going to get that part of the equation right.
Gear:
1998 PRS CE 22-10 Top Natural Finish
MIM HSS Strat-Electron Blue
Vox AC4TV
Yeah but I think Metallicas sound is awful lol.
It's about the reliability of the amp as well, if I were ever to get good enough to gig (never going to happen lol) I wouldn't have enough faith in my Vypyr to use it.
Page 1 of 2