Hello!

Before I make an utter idiot of myself, I will admit I have very little expieriance with amps. Mainly because, I've never needed an incredibly spectacular amp in the 5 years I've been playing. (No, I do not perform live yet.) So, with that in mind, please excuse my inexpieriance with amplifiers.

So, as a guitarist who prioritises both distortion, and ambiant clean sounds, I'm seeking an amp that emphasizes the lower frequencies of a signal(in case that's the wrong term, a bass-heavy sound). But, is perfectly capable of a crisp clean sound. - Preferably with some built-in reverb.

Now, I'd like to make something clear.. I don't require spectucular tube distortion. I have indeed tried that path, and it's not for me. Instead I use pedals for that role, but I also like to blend in a little grit from my Blackstar HT-5 head (don't laugh, I'm a bedroom musician right now).

Size is irrelavant.
Price - Under £1000 ($1500).

Thank-you for taking the time to read this. I look foward to seeing your suggestions!
You are on the best way to get a rig that will be drowned out by the bassist all the time.
The 'oomph' comes from the bassist, a guitarist's place in the mix is in the mids.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by JesusCrisp
You are on the best way to get a rig that will be drowned out by the bassist all the time.
The 'oomph' comes from the bassist, a guitarist's place in the mix is in the mids.

I thought it was a bass rig he wanted
You should keep in mind how the bass will take place in a recording. I mean I've heard a few recordings where the bass just doesn't sound like it fits at all because it's been EQ"d so high so it'd stick out.
Quote by PSimonR
Even if I didn't want the distortion I'd still buy a tube amp for electric guitar. They just sound so much better than modelling amps, but a modelling amp with a tube pre might be the way to go.

Something like these
http://www.voxamps.com/valvetronixplus/vtplus/

These are pretty much the opposite of what he wants.
They sound thin as hell, even for a modeller.
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
If you want huge low end and 'oomph' thats not just the bass players job.. It really depends on the style of music and the sound you want.

You will get a HUGE bass response from an oversized 4x12. Lots of people hate them because they can get muddy pretty fast.

Not a huge fan of the HT-5, but when I ran mine through a Mesa OS 4x12 and a Vader 2x12 it sounded huge and sludgy. Tons of bottom. Switch it to a 1x12 and its all gone.

Anyways, IMO if you want lots of bass, your cab is just as important.
/rig
The comment above is right. I got a port city wave 2x12 oversized cab, and it massively increased the oomph in my tone. A cab of that quality, lets you keep both a huge sound, with more clarity than what you get with standard high end cabs like mesa, and marshall.
Quote by mespinos
If you want huge low end and 'oomph' thats not just the bass players job.. It really depends on the style of music and the sound you want.

You will get a HUGE bass response from an oversized 4x12. Lots of people hate them because they can get muddy pretty fast.

Not a huge fan of the HT-5, but when I ran mine through a Mesa OS 4x12 and a Vader 2x12 it sounded huge and sludgy. Tons of bottom. Switch it to a 1x12 and its all gone.

Anyways, IMO if you want lots of bass, your cab is just as important.

Thank-you! I did think that. I had had abit of expieriance with 4x12's and I agree the bass responce is great, just wanted to see if there were alternatives. Plus, there's alot of 4-12's to choose from. But I guess the best thing to do is go to a guitar shop and try different brands out in person, right?

And I'm glad someone understands that. I understand the bass has it's role but that's not to say that I don't want a thick-ass tone of my own regardless of whether I'm jamming with a bassist or not. Just the kinda thing I'm into. I feel more presence in a guitar if it's being amplified with a huge low end (insert pun here). In fact I've once thought of splitting my signal into two seperate amps. One equalised with more treble, and higher mids.. And the other prioritising the lower mids and bass. As odd as that sounds, I just think, in having them seperate it'd keep the highs crisp, and the lows would maintain their presence. That might be really naive, I wouldn't know if it's a common method.
Last edited by EveEllis at Apr 8, 2012,
Initially I had already pretty much intended on getting a 4x12 cab. I'm just wondering now, is it worth keeping my HT-5 considering I don't really need excellent tube-distortion? At this point I imagine not. Unless I want more volume, right?

That's another little thing I don't understand (this is pretty embaressing).. Does wattage represent the volume it's capable of, or how distorted it's capable of being?
Wattage, in tube amps, represents how undistorted the power section is capable of being.

Turn your HT-5 up all the way on the post-gain, and bring up the pre-gain until it clips. Hear that? Power amp distortion.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Just had a check up on some heads, I was thinking something like the Marshall MA100H. Seperate EQ's for both channels. Resonance, presense, and reverb controls on the Master. Crunch balance.

I think it could shape my tone quite alot. That, or something like it, at least.
The MA is crap.

How about a Blackstar?
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by JesusCrisp
The MA is crap.

How about a Blackstar?

It was only for reference. Blackstar? I thought about a HT-STAGE 100 before. honestly, I wouldn't have known which is better, or why.
Blackstar HT-100 if you like your current tone but want more versatility and bigger sound.
Also get a 2x12 or 4x12 with Celestion G12-T75s, those have a good big bass response and good highs, as opposed to V30's, which are more mid-heavy speakers.
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by JesusCrisp

My Mesa Royal Atlantic has some big 'oomph'

OT. Sorry, on that budget IDK, not very familiar with lots of amps, the only one I have tried with the crispness and oomph you are talking about is mine, but it's over your budget. If you can find one used though...

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Emperor 4x12 Silver Bells
PRS Swamp Ash Limited Custom 24
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
I have my amp working with a Bassman 2x15 cab, it works wonders with my clean channel, with my overdrive it leaves something to be desired though... Now 2x12 + 2x15! That's some serious shit pal!

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Emperor 4x12 Silver Bells
PRS Swamp Ash Limited Custom 24
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
Usually oomph comes from big iron (large output transformers from a high wattage amp), cranked volume from said high wattage amp and a closed back cab (the more speakers the better). I'm playing though a 2x12 now. I love it. But it may also be the speaker choice: Eminence Swamp Thang and Texas Heat. Both are somewhat bass heavy speakers.

imo, get a new closed back cab and crank your mids. That's where the chunk comes from.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
In that price range, you can find Morgan's used. Shoot Joe an email and find out what amp he'd recommend and then see if you can find it on craigs, ebay, in the classifieds or dare I say on UG the Gear Page amp emporium.

My first thought is the RCA35. I've been told its like a twin/ac hybrid. It has all the Fender glory with the tightness of a Vox.

Morgan is mostly known for its AC style amps though. The AC 20 Deluxe would probably be something that would come up. Its like the normal channel of an AC30 with a switchable EF86/12ax7, volume, cut and power scaling as well as a normal/brilliant switch. They have some super sweet cover options too!

I'm gassing for both the RCA35 as well as the SW22. The SW was modeled after a Dumble he was asked to work on. Some really sick tones! D*style at a working man's price? I'll take it!

Hope this helps!
ΦΚΣ

Life is short. PLAY LOUD!