I have a quick question. When you play 5th chords like F5, G5, how do you arrange your fingers. I just use my index finger on the root and use my ring finger to bar the fifth and octave. But my friend uses his first finger on the root, ring finger on the fifth, and his pinkie on the octave. I was just wondering what is more acceptable or if it doesn't really matter.
"You can't hold no groove if you ain't got no pocket!!"
~First track off of A Show of Hands by Victor Wooten
It doesn't matter how you play, if it feels comfortable it is the right way to do it. I personally use the first/ring/pinkie combination
Yeah whatever is comfy for ya. I tend to stick to first/ring/pinky as well. Ive seen some guys, Dave Matthews for example, use first/second/middle. Depends on how big your hand is, what chord youre going to next, etc
i use first finger for root, then bar the fifth and octave with my ring finger, though when you use all three you can change it more easily, for example with dropping the octave down.
barring the notes can cause unwanted noise depending on the chord position etc, might not be the best idea if it's metal related + owing to the fact that sooner or later you'll see the truth behind power chords (that they're boring and useless) you'll want to add some texture to them = you'll be adding new notes to the simple A5 soooo if I were you (and I was before (ok this is mind****ing,sorry)) I'd learn to use the other fingers instead of barring
Quote by jbass13
I have a quick question. When you play 5th chords like F5, G5, how do you arrange your fingers. I just use my index finger on the root and use my ring finger to bar the fifth and octave. But my friend uses his first finger on the root, ring finger on the fifth, and his pinkie on the octave. I was just wondering what is more acceptable or if it doesn't really matter.

It's generally more accepted that you use the ring/pinky fingering, that way it takes a very limited set of movements to change the chord in to a great number of other things and you have exact control over what you're doing in noise terms.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Okay thanks guys. I was never really sure. I've always been most comfortable playing with barring with the ring fingering and I've also been teaching guitar to a little kid lately so I didn't want to set him on the wrong path. Thanks guys.
"You can't hold no groove if you ain't got no pocket!!"
~First track off of A Show of Hands by Victor Wooten
I think the answer might depend on what style of music you are playing and also how fast (BPM) the song is. I can honestly say that I play power chords both ways (as described above).

Something to keep in mind is that by playing the 5th and octave notes with your ring finger only, you will be able to form that chord much quickly. This is ideal for fast rock where having the form the power chord with the ring and pinky finger will take longer.

I remember asking my guitar teacher this exact question and his answer brought out a good point. He suggested that I form power chords using the ring and pinky finger (rather than just barring the 5th and octave with the ring finger) because it puts your hand in better position for learning more complex movable-type chords, or more exotic rock chords. In other words, forcing yourself to use three fingers to form the power chord requires more skill and is a good way to practice. Since minor chords, 7th, diminished, 9, and 13th chords rely on the use of your pinky, this is a good way to strengthen what, for me, is my weakest finger.