I don't know why every strings I buy are breaking after 3 days. Is it because I'm palm muting too hard? Are the strings rusting, because I don't have a gig bag?

Something that you don't need to read about, but feel free: I bought a Slinky Top Heavy Bottom Ernie Ball pack and I was actually glad that they broke. I was getting tired of using strings that Warped Tour bands use. Then I tried out Elixirs and was very impressed. I bought the electric light pack (.10 to .46).
What are you trying to tune to? Is it a specific string that is breaking, or all of them? It sounds like your guitar may have a rough spot on the bridge or nut that is snapping the string (if it's just one that goes repeatedly), and if it's all of them, I can't be sure, but my guess would be that something is wrong with the guitar to where whatever tuning you're playing in is causing the strings to be more tense than they should. I don't know if this is action-related, or if your neck is warped and is putting additional tension on the strings, but if it's more than just one string breaking, I might take it to a shop to see if they can help you figure out why.
Washburn WI66 Pro E Celtic Cross (1 of 48!)
Washburn WI66 Pro Honeyburst
Takamine EG334SC Acoustic-Electric
Peavey XXX 120W All Tube Half Stack
Line6 MM4/FM4/DL4
Boss NS2
Vox Snakecharmer Compressor
Digitech XP100 Whammy Wah
Where are they breaking? If its atthe saddles its possible that there is a burr that is breaking them. This could easily be fixed with a file.
I had a similar problem with an old epiphone g 400. What type of guitar do you have? My Epi's was a bad bridge. Check your bridge, nut, tuners, anything that makes contact with the strings and look for sharp edges or any imperfections and maybe try to smooth it down yourself, or take it to a guitar pro, or get a replacement part.
Guitars
Gibson SG '61 Reissue 'Aretha'
Fender MIM Strat 'Rosy'
Takamine EG 332c 'Betsy'
Epiphone G-400 'Lucy'

Amps
Crate V-18 1x12
Roland Cube 30x

Pedals
Dunlop Original Crybaby
Electro-Harmonix Double Muff
Line 6 Echo Park
Quote by visualsai
I don't know why every strings I buy are breaking after 3 days. Is it because I'm palm muting too hard? Are the strings rusting, because I don't have a gig bag?

Something that you don't need to read about, but feel free: I bought a Slinky Top Heavy Bottom Ernie Ball pack and I was actually glad that they broke. I was getting tired of using strings that Warped Tour bands use. Then I tried out Elixirs and was very impressed. I bought the electric light pack (.10 to .46).

You may not have the best reasons for choosing strings... who cares who uses them?

And maybe a rough saddle. Try some very fine grit sandpaper.
Quote by visualsai

You can buy whatever strings you want for whatever reason, but I don't see the connect between not liking strings because other bands use them. I use those strings on one of my guitar and I have never had a problem (I kept one set on for 5 or 6 months because I was too lazy to change them).

Anyway, the guitar may or may not be the problem. Or the tuning. What tuning and guitar are you using?
Not liking strings because bands on The Warped Tour used them, makes you look slightly retarded.

I don't like slinkys because they feel dry, and I do a lot of stuff where I need to slide up the fretboard, RIGHT NOW. I could see them working better for someone obsessed with the first position; they bend fairly well.

Try Dean Markleys. Their .012-.056 set comes with a wound 3rd. SIT strings are nice as well.

Do your strings break at the nut or at the bridge? Is it usually the same one?
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
I agree with those who said it could be a burr on the bridge saddle. If that's the case, there is a trick that I swear by: take a pencil, and "draw" on the inside of the saddle all along where the string makes contact. Usually metal-on-metal grips the string too hard and stresses it. The graphite in the pencil lead lubricates the contact a bit to keep it from gripping too hard (which is the concept behind graphite saddles). I do this every time I change strings, and I've only broken one or two strings in the several years I've been doing it.
Ibanez UV777 - Carvin TL60 & 727 - Jackson KE3
Splawn QuickRod - Mesa Stiletto & RoadKing - Peavey Ultra+ - Peavey Bandit
Some pedlulz & cabz

7 String Legion
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Not liking strings because bands on The Warped Tour used them, makes you look slightly retarded.

I don't like slinkys because they feel dry, and I do a lot of stuff where I need to slide up the fretboard, RIGHT NOW. I could see them working better for someone obsessed with the first position; they bend fairly well.

Try Dean Markleys. Their .012-.056 set comes with a wound 3rd. SIT strings are nice as well.

Do your strings break at the nut or at the bridge? Is it usually the same one?

What's a "wound 3rd/G string"? I hear it all the time but have never learned what it meant.
PRS SE Custom 24 w/ Seymour Duncan JB and Jazz Pickups
Squire Classic Vibe Stratocaster

Digitech Bad Monkey

Pignose 7100 Legendary Amplifyer
Quote by Dr Sixstring
What's a "wound 3rd/G string"? I hear it all the time but have never learned what it meant.

Exactly what it sounds like. The third string is wound the way the 6th 5th and 4th are. while the 1st and 2nd are bare/just the core.
*insert witty statement here*
Last edited by metalhead352 at Apr 8, 2012,