Hi, whenever I play the 5th or 6th string open and then quickly mute them with my left hand I hear a loud feedback-like buzz (which lasts just an instant). The sound is loudest when I mute the string around the lower frets, and most clear when I am using a high gain sound.
My ESP LTD H-401 is set to the factory recommended action and pickup height, and the only way I can remove the buzz is to raise the action to an unreasonable level. The buzz is also slightly audible when not playing through an amp so it can't be an electronics issue. Is a truss rod adjustment required or is there another problem?

Sorry to post a new thread about this though I'm not sure what this type of problem is called and haven't been able to find any info on it.
Gear:
ESP: LTD H401-FM
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Blackstar HT-20 Studio Combo
Digitech RP500, Dunlop Crybaby, Korg Pitchblack

Check out the Soundcloud of my band CENTURION - based in South London and currently looking for a singer + bassist!
Quote by heresben
Hi, whenever I play the 5th or 6th string open and then quickly mute them with my left hand I hear a loud feedback-like buzz (which lasts just an instant). The sound is loudest when I mute the string around the lower frets, and most clear when I am using a high gain sound.
My ESP LTD H-401 is set to the factory recommended action and pickup height, and the only way I can remove the buzz is to raise the action to an unreasonable level. The buzz is also slightly audible when not playing through an amp so it can't be an electronics issue. Is a truss rod adjustment required or is there another problem?

Sorry to post a new thread about this though I'm not sure what this type of problem is called and haven't been able to find any info on it.

Ever tried palm muting with your picking hand?

Sounds like you might be muting a bit too much with your fretting hand.
Quote by thehikingdude
Ever tried palm muting with your picking hand?

Sounds like you might be muting a bit too much with your fretting hand.

I don't think it is a technique issue as it isn't a problem I have on any other guitars and it can be fixed by increasing the action. I'm not trying to mute with my picking hand, I'm trying to play the chord open then abruptly cut it off with my fretting hand.
Gear:
ESP: LTD H401-FM
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Blackstar HT-20 Studio Combo
Digitech RP500, Dunlop Crybaby, Korg Pitchblack

Check out the Soundcloud of my band CENTURION - based in South London and currently looking for a singer + bassist!
it's probably just a natural harmonic.
THey are all over the fretboard, and if you don't mute properly, you hear them quite well even if you don't want it. Use more fingers and spread them a bit so you are muting at a bit wider space than you did before.
If that's not it, it could somehow be the springs in the back of your guitar. They can make a bit noise when you play, and you can just put some spongethingy where the springs are to keep them silent.
I'm pretty sure that your problem is that you unintentionally make natural harmonics (like when you slightly fret the 12th fret of any string and pick it.)
Quote by JB95
it's probably just a natural harmonic.
THey are all over the fretboard, and if you don't mute properly, you hear them quite well even if you don't want it.

This is what I was thinking.
They shouldn't interfere with anything, and if they're fairly loud im afraid I couldnt think of what else it could be!
Quote by OtherGuy
This is what I was thinking.
They shouldn't interfere with anything, and if they're fairly loud im afraid I couldnt think of what else it could be!

They can get quite loud. And very high pitched too.

On the off-chance that it isn't a harmonic, check the parts on the guitar something might be loose, and thus, could be rattling around. Other than that, I can't think of anything.
Join the 7 String Legion!

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Messiaen is Magical

Official Approval
This message has been approved by:

Mister A.J.
Head of the Department of Redundancy Department
Mister A.J.