Page 1 of 2
I have been playing around with my setting for awhile trying to get the perfect sound but I need a little help please. I am using a Peavey 3120 with a Peavey Windsor cab, A Boss NF-1 Noise Gate, Ibanez TS9DX Turbo Tube Screamer, and a Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff with Top Boost, and tuner pedal... I know a lot of the bands in the djent/progressive deathcore use two gates and a compressor pedal but Idk if they are a must and if so how do I put them into the line up... My pedals are listened in the way they are on my board... the noise gate being closest to the amp and the tuner closest to the guitar.... Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys/gals
Oh god no, please not a djent thread.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
TS all you need is the following:
Line 6 Spider III, about 10 Boss NF-1 Noise Gates (as stated in my signature), a couple of compressors (and by a couple I mean about 9, perhaps even 25), a Boss MetalZone will do, just make sure you crank the mids and scoop the highs, as well as the lows. Now you just need to palm mute with your palm resting more or less at the 22nd fret, maybe even the 21st for a more djenty tone. Hope that helps man.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
Quote by damian_91
Line 6 Spider III, about 10 Boss NF-1 Noise Gates (as stated in my signature), a couple of compressors (and by a couple I mean about 9, perhaps even 25), a Boss MetalZone will do, just make sure you crank the mids and scoop the highs, as well as the lows. Now you just need to palm mute with your palm resting more or less at the 22nd fret, maybe even the 21st for a more djenty tone. Hope that helps man.

To be safe he should probably use 11 or 12 noise gates.
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by damian_91

This is not true. To get that real meaty djenty tone that sounds like metal, you have to palm mute the strings into the pickups.
╘MESHUG╦G╗AH

Ibanez ARX 350
Dunlop 535Q
Ibanez TS9
Peavey TransTube Supreme
DRIVE Elite straight 412
Quote by Taylor_rocks
I know a lot of the bands in the djent/progressive deathcore use two gates and a compressor pedal but Idk if they are a must and if so how do I put them into the line up

If you want that annoying, ridiculously choppy gated sound, two gates are useful. I don't dislike the 'djent'-type sound at all, but I hate it when things are over-gated. One noise gate is enough for it to be tight, without being annoying, in my opinion.

Besides that, it's all in the mids really, that's what gives the sound it's percussive quality. Maybe even try using an EQ pedal, I find that removing some stuff around the 300hz mark gets rid of a lot of 'mud', and then boosting around 1.4khz gives the sound more attack, but as with everything like this, experimenting is key.

The tube screamer should tighten the low end up nicely, so that probably isn't an issue. You shouldn't need a huge amount of gain either, that's a mistake a lot of people make. You can get a suprisingly heavy sound with fairly low gain and picking hard.

EDIT -
This is in the wrong forum. The Pit is the off-topic/general discussion part of the UG forums.
I deeply regret the 6661 in my username. Siiiigh. Damn you, 14 year old me, you edgy little bastard.
Last edited by Carl6661 at Apr 8, 2012,
Quote by Mr.DeadDuck
as you've been a registered user of 6 years I think you are trolling d

I registered for this site when I first started playing guitar... I was 14(6 years ago) never used it since then except for looking up tabs... and I'm not sure how asking for help is trolling
Quote by Taylor_rocks
I registered for this site when I first started playing guitar... I was 14(6 years ago) never used it since then except for looking up tabs... and I'm not sure how asking for help is trolling

Okie dokie, try posting this in the electric guitar or musician talk forums then all you'll get here is people who think they're hilarious as above.
SMILE!
Quote by Carl6661
If you want that annoying, ridiculously choppy gated sound, two gates are useful. I don't dislike the 'djent'-type sound at all, but I hate it when things are over-gated. One noise gate is enough for it to be tight, without being annoying, in my opinion.

Besides that, it's all in the mids really, that's what gives the sound it's percussive quality. Maybe even try using an EQ pedal, I find that removing some stuff around the 300hz mark gets rid of a lot of 'mud', and then boosting around 1.4khz gives the sound more attack, but as with everything like this, experimenting is key.

The tube screamer should tighten the low end up nicely, so that probably isn't an issue. You shouldn't need a huge amount of gain either, that's a mistake a lot of people make. You can get a suprisingly heavy sound with fairly low gain and picking hard.

Yeah I have my mids way up and the gain turned way down on both pedals the metal muff just gives it a little more bite. I will try the EQ pedal, thank you for the help. Someone else told me to check one out but I have no idea what I would be doing with it :p
Wrong forum for it I think, and djent questions are likely to get a flaming, largly (in my opinion) because for years people have been screaming about line 6 being crap, and now people have found a use for them.
Dude, where's my band?
Quote by Mr.DeadDuck
Okie dokie, try posting this in the electric guitar or musician talk forums then all you'll get here is people who think they're hilarious as above.

ah lol I was like damn there are quite a few ass holes on this site :p yeah I wasn't sure where I should post this... I logged into this(after having to reset my password and stuff because I didn't know it) and found a message from 08... It's ok though I replied to it so they will be confused
Djent sucks balls.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
I'm cockblocked regularly by my appearance and personality.
Failed to mention even what guitar you are using. That would probably be helpful.

But even then I don't give a ****. Go ask somewhere they might actually know, or google it like a normal person.
Quote by Taylor_rocks
Yeah I have my mids way up and the gain turned way down on both pedals the metal muff just gives it a little more bite. I will try the EQ pedal, thank you for the help. Someone else told me to check one out but I have no idea what I would be doing with it :p

Sounds like a metal guitarist to me!
Djent tones have way less gain then they sound like they have, keep this in mind.

Take the Metal Muff out of the equation, I promise you your tone will sound so much better.
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
Go to sevenstring.org and read the beginners forum.

Seriously.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

I'm not sure what all is "DJ Ent" nonsense is about, but I always imagine a bunch of trees with turntables.
Quote by bastards
This is not true.

How dare you, of course it is true.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
Quote by Taylor_rocks
What makes djent a dumb genera?

You, TS.
So fell Lord Perth...

... And the countryside did shake with that thunder.
what makes it dumb is no creativity. the goal is just to make everything sound atonal and (ugh) BR00TALZ! if you gave me an 8string and all the effects they use i could sound exactly the same. retardedly low tunings and uneccesary ussage of jazz chord voicings
Quote by Vicious_Turtle
what makes it dumb is no creativity. the goal is just to make everything sound atonal and (ugh) BR00TALZ! if you gave me an 8string and all the effects they use i could sound exactly the same. retardedly low tunings and uneccesary ussage of jazz chord voicings

You're not even good at trolling.

Anyway I've reported you.
"djent guy" that riff was in 16:5 timing while using a# standard tuning while switching keys on the double sweept tap open voiced inversed arpeggiated dorian mode lick. of course ending with a d # minor 3rd scale while throwing the the F flat for extra and texture"
Quote by ixKilledxKenny
You, TS.

Don't call TS dumb. Clearly, he is a genus.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by damian_91
Oh god no, please not a djent thread.

This. All these new trends make me gag.

But then again, how did the "classic" rockers look at the early '80s Thrashers?, I often think.
Bobby: Luckily I'd gone upstairs to listen to her piss so I heard her shout for me to help
Quote by Vicious_Turtle

Jazz takes no creativity. The goal is just to make everything sound atonal and like every instrument is soloing the whole time. If you give me a jazz guitar and all of the pretentiousness in your post I could play meedly meedlys behind a drummer using nothing but the ride cymbal too!

Gee that probably sounds stupid. Wonder why?
So fell Lord Perth...

... And the countryside did shake with that thunder.
Quote by Vicious_Turtle
"djent guy" that riff was in 16:5 timing while using a# standard tuning while switching keys on the double sweept tap open voiced inversed arpeggiated dorian mode lick. of course ending with a d # minor 3rd scale while throwing the the F flat for extra and texture"

Quote by ixKilledxKenny
Jazz takes no creativity. The goal is just to make everything sound atonal and like every instrument is soloing the whole time. If you give me a jazz guitar and all of the pretentiousness in your post I could play meedly meedlys behind a drummer using nothing but the ride cymbal too!

Gee that probably sounds stupid. Wonder why?

im not saying jazz takes no skill, im saying djent does. and when i say skill im not talking about techincal skill. because i think the djent stuff is hard. that being said just because something is hard to play doesnt mean it sounds good
Quote by Vicious_Turtle
just because something is hard to play doesnt mean it sounds good

This.
Bobby: Luckily I'd gone upstairs to listen to her piss so I heard her shout for me to help
people think that since they come up with something super complicated and they throw all their theory knowledge at it, its going to be great music. sadly their are almost always wrong
Quote by Vicious_Turtle
people think that since they come up with something super complicated and they throw all their theory knowledge at it, its going to be great music. sadly their are almost always wrong

Let me guess: you listen to blues because they play with "feel" or something.

EDIT: oh, I see how it is.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by Vicious_Turtle

I think this one stuck pretty well. Especially the 8 string tap/sweep in the intro. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCWKVRI0DOE
I can't really help, but if you don't sound like this then you aren't doing djent justice.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Page 1 of 2