At the moment I'm using my OCD on the clean channel of my Marshall Vintage Modern 2266 50 Watt head which gets me a lovely smooth rythm sound. However when I want to play solos I feel the distortion is lacking. I initially bought it as a boost for my amp set to crunch but that sounds really muffled so that's why I'm using it on my clean channel. The sound I'm ideally looking for is sort of like Joe Bonamassa's lead tone ( e.g. the 2nd solo in Stop!). Smooth yet cutting. Ideally I don't want to go higher than 150 euro's but if nees be I can go to 200 I guess.( less than 150 is prefferable though). I use an Ibanez RG3120 and I've got a tc electronic flashback incoming. I Live in Holland, buying through Thomann.de would be preffered.
Marshall 50 Watt Vintage Modern
Marshall 1960AV
Fender Custom Shop Strat
Ibanez Prestige RG3120
Squier Classic Vibe Telecaster
Strymon Mobius
TC Polytune
TC Flashback
Mad Professor LGW
Fulltone OCD
JOYO Vintage OD
Behringer EQ700
Ok, so are you wanting to run it like this: Boost->OCD->Clean amp?

If you're boosting the OCD like that, I'd try a straight clean boost like the MXR Micro Amp. If you can afford one, you might look for a Keeley-modded Boss Blues Driver. The Paul C Timmy is great, but probably a bit over your budget. In your case, I'd try to get something pretty transparent, so as not to color the tone of the OCD, but you might be ok with that. In that case, Tubescreamers and the myriad TS copies are also great choices.
Ibanez UV777 - Carvin TL60 & 727 - Jackson KE3
Splawn QuickRod - Mesa Stiletto & RoadKing - Peavey Ultra+ - Peavey Bandit
Some pedlulz & cabz

7 String Legion
OCDs sound bomb stacked with TS9s and similar clones, it would be a cheap and easy answer.
Fender Strat Deluxe
Fender MexiStrat
Epiphone Sheritan
Ibanez Artcore
Fender Twin Reverb silverface
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote by CaptainAmerican
I would recommend the marshal MG100

Very versatile and quality sound. It should treat you well
I'd be running it clean->OCD-> booster. Hmm a tubescreamer would be affordable, there are a lot of versions though like od808 and ts9. What are the differences?
Marshall 1960AV
Fender Custom Shop Strat
Ibanez Prestige RG3120
Strymon Mobius
TC Polytune
TC Flashback
Mad Professor LGW
Fulltone OCD
JOYO Vintage OD
Behringer EQ700
The original OD808s are generally considered to be the best, but really the only differences between them and the TS9 is an op-amp chip. TS9s that are modded to 808 specs are plentiful, because it's easy to do as far as mods go. I don't know how much Robert Keeley-modded TS9s go for over there, but that's a great pedal IMO. Very very smooth.
Ibanez UV777 - Carvin TL60 & 727 - Jackson KE3
Splawn QuickRod - Mesa Stiletto & RoadKing - Peavey Ultra+ - Peavey Bandit
Some pedlulz & cabz

7 String Legion
Dude, I run an OCD with a SHO Clone in front of it for more gain. It sounds brilliant. If you're looking for an output boost place it after. But before it sounds amazing for a little more gain and low end.
OCD was never great for boosting amps. maybe thats yo problemo.
mojostompboxes.com
Quote by greeny23

Yeah, I found that out the hard way. Anyway I like the distortion it gives, it's just not quite there yet. But if the OCD is not good at boosting amps, the clean->boost->OCD wouldn't work either would it?
Marshall 1960AV
Fender Custom Shop Strat
Ibanez Prestige RG3120
Strymon Mobius
TC Polytune
TC Flashback
Mad Professor LGW
Fulltone OCD
JOYO Vintage OD
Behringer EQ700
What sort of sounds are you trying to achieve? Maybe you've got the wrong pedal for what you want.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Quote by Eppicurt
What sort of sounds are you trying to achieve? Maybe you've got the wrong pedal for what you want.

I'm looking for a solo tone that sounds a bit like Joe Bonamassa ( 2nd solo in 'Stop!' for example). That's basically the sound I've been yearning for for a couple of years now.
Marshall 1960AV
Fender Custom Shop Strat
Ibanez Prestige RG3120
Strymon Mobius
TC Polytune
TC Flashback
Mad Professor LGW
Fulltone OCD
JOYO Vintage OD
Behringer EQ700
Quote by constructbot
I'm looking for a solo tone that sounds a bit like Joe Bonamassa ( 2nd solo in 'Stop!' for example). That's basically the sound I've been yearning for for a couple of years now.

I don't really listen to Bonomassa that much so I'm not too familiar with his gear, but I do know that he uses a fuzzface. I think they actually just came out with signature fuzzface for him, Dunlop that is. Maye you should look into a fuzz.
Fender Strat Deluxe
Fender MexiStrat
Epiphone Sheritan
Ibanez Artcore
Fender Twin Reverb silverface
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote by CaptainAmerican
I would recommend the marshal MG100

Very versatile and quality sound. It should treat you well
Quote by greeny23

+1

harley benton vintage od is a tubescreamer clone. might be worth trying.

if it's too middy maybe a timmy or something like that. or just a clean boost as already said.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by gerraguitar
I don't really listen to Bonomassa that much so I'm not too familiar with his gear, but I do know that he uses a fuzzface. I think they actually just came out with signature fuzzface for him, Dunlop that is. Maye you should look into a fuzz.

Yeah, I know about the fuzzface but I'm not really into fuzz.

Quote by Dave_Mc
+1

harley benton vintage od is a tubescreamer clone. might be worth trying.

if it's too middy maybe a timmy or something like that. or just a clean boost as already said.

Great suggestion, do you have it? What are your experiences with it compared to a normal tubescreamer?
Marshall 1960AV
Fender Custom Shop Strat
Ibanez Prestige RG3120
Strymon Mobius
TC Polytune
TC Flashback
Mad Professor LGW
Fulltone OCD
JOYO Vintage OD
Behringer EQ700
yeah i have the joyo vintage od (and the dano clone of the timmy, they're discontinued, though).

never tried either head to head with the real thing, but i've tried a tubescreamer in the past and the joyo sounds like a tubescreamer. never tried a real timmy either, just the clone.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by constructbot

Like, just a solo tone and nothing else?
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
Quote by Eppicurt
Like, just a solo tone and nothing else?

Yeah, I'm pretty happy with my rhythm sound so I want to focus on my lead sound now.
Marshall 1960AV
Fender Custom Shop Strat
Ibanez Prestige RG3120
Strymon Mobius
TC Polytune
TC Flashback
Mad Professor LGW
Fulltone OCD
JOYO Vintage OD
Behringer EQ700
Last edited by constructbot at Apr 10, 2012,
I was referred to the Catalinbread Super Chili Picaso yesterday. OMG GAS! It's 200 but goes well above and beyond. 35db boost, clean, grit and buffer modes. Check it!
ΦΚΣ

Life is short. PLAY LOUD!
Hmm, Bonamassa is hard to get. Especially since he uses some really expensive shit. I've always found that really thick, creamy sounds come from those overdrive/distortion pedals depending on how high you have the gain cranked. T-Rex Mudhoney, MI Audio Tube Zone, etc will give that 'saturated' type of overdrive if that's what you're looking for. A regular tubescreamer clone won't be as smooth without dialing back the tone and tweaking the amps eq a bit, which probably won't be as popular an idea for you if you like your rhythm tone.
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
Quote by Eppicurt
Hmm, Bonamassa is hard to get. Especially since he uses some really expensive shit. I've always found that really thick, creamy sounds come from those overdrive/distortion pedals depending on how high you have the gain cranked. T-Rex Mudhoney, MI Audio Tube Zone, etc will give that 'saturated' type of overdrive if that's what you're looking for. A regular tubescreamer clone won't be as smooth without dialing back the tone and tweaking the amps eq a bit, which probably won't be as popular an idea for you if you like your rhythm tone.

I know, the guy uses 4 amps which cost like $2000 a piece.
My tone is already pretty smooth though, pretty leadish(?). The pedal just isn't quite there yet in terms of gain. Fast runs don't sound as good and I think that's because it doesn't have enough gain( or I just suck ) , the sound is smooth but it sounds too clean if that makes any sense.
Marshall 1960AV
Fender Custom Shop Strat
Ibanez Prestige RG3120
Strymon Mobius
TC Polytune
TC Flashback
Mad Professor LGW
Fulltone OCD
JOYO Vintage OD
Behringer EQ700
Quote by constructbot
I know, the guy uses 4 amps which cost like $2000 a piece.
My tone is already pretty smooth though, pretty leadish(?). The pedal just isn't quite there yet in terms of gain. Fast runs don't sound as good and I think that's because it doesn't have enough gain( or I just suck ) , the sound is smooth but it sounds too clean if that makes any sense.

Modify the OCD? You'd have to ask Tim, Matt or Shot who live in this forum what would be possible and if it would be possible, but I'm sure they could muster something up. That would be cheapest way to go around it if you didn't want to have the hassle of selling the OCD and buying a new OD.
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
Quote by Eppicurt
Modify the OCD? You'd have to ask Tim, Matt or Shot who live in this forum what would be possible and if it would be possible, but I'm sure they could muster something up. That would be cheapest way to go around it if you didn't want to have the hassle of selling the OCD and buying a new OD.

I guess that's possible but I have zero experience in messing with electronics.
I'm not really looking to sell the OCD though, I'd like to buy something to boost it.
Marshall 1960AV
Fender Custom Shop Strat
Ibanez Prestige RG3120
Strymon Mobius
TC Polytune
TC Flashback
Mad Professor LGW
Fulltone OCD
JOYO Vintage OD
Behringer EQ700