I currently own an Ibanez RG870QMZ, Digitech RP355 and a Line 6 Spider IV 15 watt.
And I some got problems figuring out the best way to properly set this rig up.
Right now I got a guitar cable to my RP355 and from there a adapter(guitar output ->mp3 cable) mp3 cable into my spider amp, so I bypass the whole modeling section. Cuz I model amps with my RP355 ofc.

Now I figure that that mp3 cable can give me some signal loss.. but if I where to use an guitar cable then i have to go through the whole modeling of my amp.. although I can put that to a minimum, there will always be some modeling right?

And since, right now, I only use my RP355 for all my amp models I could also just buy a better cabinet/monitors for better sound? or should I really go for a better amp? and what becomes of my RP355 then?

I have been trying numerous different set-up's but can't seem to get the clear and dynamic sounds I hear in a lot of bands and youtube vids...
I think it's an combination of the limits of the RP355 and my amp (which I only use as a monitor)
Hope you guys can help me figure this out!
Most of the advice you'll be getting here will probably be to get a better amp. The way you're running your setup, it looks like you could do with a good tube poweramp and a speaker cabinet. You can use your RP355 as your preamp like you are now, into a poweramp. Just a thought...
Ibanez UV777 - Carvin TL60 & 727 - Jackson KE3
Splawn QuickRod - Mesa Stiletto & RoadKing - Peavey Ultra+ - Peavey Bandit
Some pedlulz & cabz

7 String Legion
if you want a better sound and tone you might want to consider buying a proper amp :p
Quote by alans056
if you want a better sound and tone you might want to consider buying a proper amp :p

problem is.. I play blues, metal, rock, country and an amp seems so specific too me, that's why I got the RP355.. gives me a wide variety tones
in any case I do want to look into that, what would you recommend? for what kind of price would I get the quality and variety I am looking for?
(I play only in my bedroom now, but I do want the ability to go in a band/on stage if I got a gig)
Last edited by Psy8cho at Apr 8, 2012,
Well you could ditch the spider, a moddler in front of a moddler is just silly really. Grab a cheap small tube amp if possible (aka epiphone valve jr or something along those lines.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Quote by Psy8cho
problem is.. I play blues, metal, rock, country and an amp seems so specific too me, that's why I got the RP355.. gives me a wide variety tones
in any case I do want to look into that, what would you recommend? for what kind of price would I get the quality and variety I am looking for?
(I play only in my bedroom now, but I do want the ability to go in a band/on stage if I got a gig)

Dual Rectumfrier.

Win.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
I would ditch the Spider, and get a used ValveKing (lots of power, good cleans, dirt cheap) to use as a kind of blank slate platform.

Alternatively, you could ditch everything you have and get a Vypyr Tube. Or even still, get the VK, ditch the RP and get something better like a POD HD.

Lots of things you can do to get good tone.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
OK so if I understand correctly these are my options:
-RP355 in PA to a cab
-new amp (but I will keep my RP355 for easy switching effects, looper etc. amp is on bypass then)
but I would like a footswitch with this amp and at least a few channels to switch too, cuz I got like 20 different presets on my rp355 and I like that a lot, mainly to mimic the sound of a certain song.

either way I can sell my spider :P
The Dual rectifier suits my needs.. but is way over my budget.. I am thinking 500 euros max?
Can I get a decent amp for that kind of money and will it serve my 800 euro guitar well? (heard once that the amp should be around the same price as your guitar is..)

edit:
(noob question)
I have looked at the Valve king and Peavey Vypyr, but they also have model amps in them? how can the sound be so much better then my rp355? and don't need tube amps to be fully open to sound nice? (a little bit load for bedroom practise ins't it?)
Last edited by Psy8cho at Apr 9, 2012,
sell the digitech and spider is the only way to go if you wnt to improve

you can get a good amp used for 500 euro, atleast alot better than what youve got now
Inspired by Ibanez RGA321F Prestige, Gibson Les Paul Standard
Powered by CAA OD100 standard+ , Mesa 2x12
Affected by Maxon OD808, Mad Professor Deep blue delay

Quote by Psy8cho

Can I get a decent amp for that kind of money and will it serve my 800 euro guitar well? (heard once that the amp should be around the same price as your guitar is..)

edit:
(noob question)
I have looked at the Valve king and Peavey Vypyr, but they also have model amps in them? how can the sound be so much better then my rp355? and don't need tube amps to be fully open to sound nice? (a little bit load for bedroom practise ins't it?)

I've always heard that you amp should cost 2x as much as your guitar. Of course that statement turns to BS once you get to high end gear prices, but the sentiment holds - the amp is far more important for your tone than your guitar.

The ValveKing is an all tube amp. Tube amps need to be cranked to get power tube distortion. That is something you need to stay far away from when using modelers and sims. Tube amps don't need to be loud to have an audible difference from SS amps. Just thinking about that argument will make you realize how silly it is. A good amp will always sound better than a bad amp, volume is irrelevant.

The Vypyr is a modeler. I can assure you that the Vypyr Tube will blow your RP away. On top of that, it's easier to have (with a Sanpera), because the FX in it are already programmed to go in front of or after the preamp, so there's no issues with stuff not being in the right place in your chain.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I must say that the combination of the peavey vypyr tube with the sanpera looks like all that I want! Do you know if they sell that peavey vypyr tube in Holland, cuz I have a hard time finding an online store that has them..
vypypr tube>valveking>rp355 right? and is that sanpera also usable on the valveking?

edit:
And what about an peavey vyper 30 or 100?
The Sanpera only works with the Vypyr.

The Vypyr 30 is good if you're on a budget, but the Vypyr Tube sounds much better. The 100 is fine if you need a lot of volume and don't have a lot of money, but again, the Tube sounds much better.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
The Sanpera only works with the Vypyr.

The Vypyr 30 is good if you're on a budget, but the Vypyr Tube sounds much better. The 100 is fine if you need a lot of volume and don't have a lot of money, but again, the Tube sounds much better.

Thnx for all your help, you really pointed me in the direction I was looking for! I think at this point I better just find a music store that sells these and try them out!

Do you have more options for an amp setup(like that vypyr tube) that has great versatillity and a footpedal that alows to switch presets and has a looper, wah wah etc.
which then I can look at and compare for around that same price or rather 500 euros max?
Get a small tube amp use use your rp for effects.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
btw why would I need an PA in between my RP355 cabinet? (never used and PA)
Quote by Psy8cho
btw why would I need an PA in between my RP355 cabinet? (never used and PA)

That's just an option you have. You can plug the RP into a PA (like a mixer or straight into a PA-power-amp and into a PA-cab). If you plug the RP right into a cab, you wouldn't get any sound, since there'd be nothing powering the cab (except if you get a powered cab, that is).

The nice thing about this is that it can be done quick and easy at gigs, where you'll have a PA most of the time anyway. Just plug in your RP and you're ready to go. The downside is that it sounds mediocre at best, unless you get some good speaker-sim (which simulates the sound of guitar-speakers; just another little box that goes between the RP and the PA). Good speaker-sims cost a bunch of cash.

All in all, this solution isn't really that great exept in a few, particular cases. In short, I wouldn't recommend it to most people.

Just get a small, decent guitar amp to plug your RP in and it'll do wonders for your sound. Tell us your budget and location and we'll figure out something specific.
budget around 500-600 euros to improve my sound, do you think that Peavey Vypyr Tube 60W with a sanpera II pedal is the best choice for me or do I also gots some other options?

just a crazy thought: How about those computer programs like pod farm? (what kind of quality is that compared to my setup now and maybe that peavey?)
Last edited by Psy8cho at Apr 10, 2012,