Hey all,

Okay so come next week I will be in a position to buy a new amp head (currently been using a line 6 spider 2 head with a 4x12 for the past 6 years, purely for the convenience i.e the effects etc) and before that i used a BOSS ME-50 effects board running through a wee Marshall.. but now im wanting to step up my game and compile my own rig, starting with the amp head.

Ive been reading reviews and watching numerous youtube videos concerning different amp heads and for me the ones that stood out are as follows:

Peavey 6505+
Orange Dark terror
Mesa Dual Rectifier
Mini Mesa

I dont really want to purchase a half arsed head but my budget is £1500 for a new head. I play mainly rock and metal (mentioning blues isnt entirely necessary) and I would say Slash and Dimebag are my biggest inspirations and although i am aware Slash uses or has used Marshalls and Dimebag used Randalls then Kranks, I just want to put across the kind of sound I dig.

Out of the 4 amps i previously mentioned im pretty stoked about the Peavey + although I have heard this amp isnt that versatile and well the Mesa Boogie Dual is quite expensive and apparently difficult to attain a desired tone, and the other two seem to have their pros and cons too so Im just not entirely 100 percent sure on what would work best for me, I dont live near any stores which have any of these amplifiers so that option isnt available for me unfortunately.

So yeh opinions would be nice so that I can see what other people might go for in my situation (Im swaying between the mesa dual and peavey) so yeh bring on the opinions!

Thanks
Heres some info about peaveys that will make it easier to pick out one of their heads

3120 = XXX
XXX II = JSX
6505 = 5150
6505+ = 5150 II

Also you should worry about your cab to, it's not really a spot to cut corners. Get a used 5150 II can probably save you some money and get the head you want.
I tried out tons of amps a few months ago & was blown away by the 6505+, but when I got it home I realized that I could not get any actual cleans out of it & it was too fizzy, something that the Mesa Dual Rec was even worse at. After a little tinkering, I raised the tube bais as high as it would go & replaced the pre-amp tubes with Mesa's, but now the crunch channel lacked clarity, so I use a Way Huge Green Rhino for any crunch/overdrive tones I need.

tl,dr?
1. Get a 6505+
2. Turn up the tube bais
3. Retube the preamp with all Mesa's
4. Use only the clean & lead channel
5. Get a good overdrive pedal
6. You'll have one damn fine & versatile rig.
Imagination is more important than knowledge...
It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education.
- Albert Einstein -
Have you checked out a Marshall DSL100? That's what I would recommend based on what kind of tones you like.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Ive yet to check out the Marshall DSL100 but I'll youtube it and read some reviews!.. Right so you say by retubing the preamp with mesas will get me better cleans but then ill have to rely on a decent OD pedal? would a TS9 suffice?
Don't bother with Mesa tubes - they're rebranded tubes themselves. Definitely nothing special. Go for JJ's. They kick ass.

The TS9 is a good pedal, but it's also very overpriced. You can get the same exact results out of a TS7 or a Bad Monkey.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
IF i were to go with the Peavey..what Cab would you guys recommend? I hear good things about the vintage 30's? Yeh ive noticed the TS9 is way overpriced but ill defo look into the TS7 & Bad Monkey.
Quote by Offworld92
Don't bother with Mesa tubes - they're rebranded tubes themselves. Definitely nothing special. Go for JJ's. They kick ass.

The TS9 is a good pedal, but it's also very overpriced. You can get the same exact results out of a TS7 or a Bad Monkey.

I think what mesa does is buy tubes, test them, rebrand the good ones and sell the crap to some other company.
Engl powerball 120 or Fireball 100 would be good amps to check out. Amazing amps, always worth a look!
Blackstar HT-5 mini-stack
Ibanez Tubescream TS9
Ibanez RG3EXFM1

Quote by lucky1978
If you're just playing at home or with friends, do it dude. Chicks dig stacks! Crank out some Metallica and do a couple of single moms!

I ask many questions.
Quote by zomgguitarz1234
I think what mesa does is buy tubes, test them, rebrand the good ones and sell the crap to some other company.

Hence you get the best with Mesa tubes because there are only a hand full of tube manufactures in the whole world right now.
Imagination is more important than knowledge...
It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education.
- Albert Einstein -
I think im probably going to run with the Peavey 6505+ BUT im not entirely sure on which cab i should get...what would do the peavey 6505+ justice? ive noticed on Thomann, I could get the Peavey 6505+ with a Harley Benton G412A Vintage for £1350? obv im not particularly knowledgable when it comes to cabs so yeh help would appreciated!
Quote by Bertallica
Hence you get the best with Mesa tubes

Not really. You get everything fom "meh" to great. But you don't know from which manufacturer. Sovtek, JJ, Shuguang?
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
I currently have a 4x12 MkII Cab which i used with my line 6 spider 2 head..dont suppose that would benefit the Peavey 6505+? if not, I have my eye on a Marshall MG412ACF which sounds pretty decent