Ok guys, I can play guitar pretty well sitting down, I can play stuff like Serrana by Jason Becker and I can play pretty fast cleanly like pentatonics but when I stand up to play it all goes to shit. Here are a few pictures of my wrist and finger positions when I am standing up.

http://www.2shared.com/photo/RaadBxM2/IMG00227-20120409-0138.html

Trying to play frets 10-12-13 on the low E string, I am usually pretty good at stretching my pinky and it has decent independence, but here I cannot stretch it any further.

http://www.2shared.com/photo/6OiEKf9y/IMG00226-20120409-0138.html

This is me trying to play frets 3-5-6 on the G string in the same way as above and have a similar problem, I can stretch the pinky a little further but there is some strain.

http://www.2shared.com/photo/uU9h0I3S/IMG00225-20120409-0137.html

And finally this is me playing an F5 chord with the octave, my thumb feels weird and I cannot go to this position quickly like if I were sitting down.

This is a picture of how I wear my guitar standing up.

http://www.2shared.com/photo/6lTbQ-vQ/IMG00228-20120409-0158.html

As you can see it is not that low and there people who can play it lower and better than me. Now I am sure are people who will simply tell me to wear it higher but I really don't enjoy playing it high up.

For the people who can play well and have it at this height or lower what have you done to be able to this? Is there any exercise of different size/weight guitar which enables you to play better? Do I have a technique problem? Or is there something wrong with my hands fingers or is there a more comfortable way I should be using them?

Thanks in advance
Last edited by Kerbache at Apr 8, 2012,
Your problem is your guitar is too low, causing you to strain your wrist. In general, if you're not used to it, then playing in that position is going to make it uncomfortable and difficult. The only thing you can do is gradually adapt to the position or play your guitar in a proper, more comfortable position...

My suggestion being, that you stop trying to look cool and just play your damn instrument in such a way that it doesn't affect your playing.
I'm a musician/composer before I'm a guitar player.

foREVer

R.I.P Jimmy "The Reverend Tholomew Plague" Sullivan.
Quote by Count Orlok
My suggestion being, that you stop trying to look cool and just play your damn instrument in such a way that it doesn't affect your playing.

He said it all
1. Your guitar is way too low. Raise it up.
2. Angle the neck more. It will reduce the strain on your wrist.
3. In the first 2 pictures, your thumb is over the neck. This is bad. It should always be behind the neck except when doing bends or vibrato or a few chords which require it.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Quote by Junior#1
1. Your guitar is way too low. Raise it up.
2. Angle the neck more. It will reduce the strain on your wrist.
3. In the first 2 pictures, your thumb is over the neck. This is bad. It should always be behind the neck except when doing bends or vibrato or a few chords which require it.

Angle it up towards the sky or down towards the ground? Also how much force should I be using with my thumb to keep it on the neck? I honestly didn't think it was that low but then again the problems it is causing me when I play is alarming.
Quote by Kerbache
Angle it up towards the sky or down towards the ground? Also how much force should I be using with my thumb to keep it on the neck? I honestly didn't think it was that low but then again the problems it is causing me when I play is alarming.

Angle the neck up, skywards. That will make your position much more like that of the classical position when sitting down which is pretty much formulated to give you the best fret hand position.

You shouldn't be using much if any force with your thumb, your fingers should be doing all the hard work when you're fretting.

If you want to play technical lead work then a higher guitar is basically a must. Some people manage to pull it off but frankly I can't figure out how so if it isn't working for you then give up and raise the strap.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Angle the neck up, skywards. That will make your position much more like that of the classical position when sitting down which is pretty much formulated to give you the best fret hand position.

You shouldn't be using much if any force with your thumb, your fingers should be doing all the hard work when you're fretting.

If you want to play technical lead work then a higher guitar is basically a must. Some people manage to pull it off but frankly I can't figure out how so if it isn't working for you then give up and raise the strap.

So should my thumb be pointing upwards or what? Sometimes it ends up pointing towards the neck of the guitar, is it ok if it doesn't constantly stay in the same general position when I am playing different things?

Yea man I think I may have to give up my dreams on lowering the guitar but would maybe a smaller guitar or a thiner neck change anything?
Quote by Kerbache
So should my thumb be pointing upwards or what? Sometimes it ends up pointing towards the neck of the guitar, is it ok if it doesn't constantly stay in the same general position when I am playing different things?

Yea man I think I may have to give up my dreams on lowering the guitar but would maybe a smaller guitar or a thiner neck change anything?

Generally you should aim for your thumb to be running parallel with the frets, that will generally give you the best reach and the best finger position on the neck. You don't have to rigidly stick to it all the time, being rigid (literally or figuratively) is a bad thing but it's a guideline you should stick to.

As for the different guitar... basically no. A guitar you're more comfortable with my help you get in to a better position but it won't fix the fact that your guitar is too low for you to really work with.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Kerbache
Also just wondering also when I play certain things my finger tips sometimes point towards the bridge of the guitar, if this bad posture?

Yes, I have a hard time imagining what kind of position you would have to be in for that to happen...

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Count Orlok
In general, if you're not used to it, then playing in that position is going to make it uncomfortable and difficult. The only thing you can do is gradually adapt to the position

No, you don't get 'used' to a position like that, you get injured instead.
raise it or hurt yourself, your choice. one thing that I did to help me is while I was sitting, I put the guitar strap on and put it so that it was tight enough to stay in that position while I was standing, its not too high and feels good too.

on an off-note, what guitar do you have? I have an old Ibanez with a neck almost exactly like that one and if its a newer guitar I'd like to know what model because I like that neck style alot