Is there a difference between a boost pedal and an overdrive pedal?

That is all. Thankyou.
Guitars
LTD EC-1000 vb
Ibanez RG7321

Amp/Modeler
Line 6 POD HD500

Headphones
Audio-Technica ATH-M50
5 letters vs 9 letters. yes.

boost pedals and overdrive pedals are usually different. however boost pedals can boost your signal into a tube amp creating overdrive. and overdrive pedals can boost the signal but keep the amp clean as well, depending on the amp's input.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
So is there a difference if it is into a solid state?
Guitars
LTD EC-1000 vb
Ibanez RG7321

Amp/Modeler
Line 6 POD HD500

Headphones
Audio-Technica ATH-M50
well yes and no. it depends on the signal produced by the pedal. most would call this clean vs clipping, grit, distortion, etc.

a OD, dist., or fuzz actually produces a signal that is already clipped in form, or slightly distorted.

a clean boost adds gain but does not clip the signal, ie - its clean. if used in certain ways, the boost might appear to only add huge amounts of volume. however, if used correctly with a tube amp, the added gain and signal strength is going to push your tubes so hard that the tube amp itself will actually create the distorted sound.

so yes, you can get a good OD sound using either.

prime example - boss ge-7 EQ pedal. it has a level control for volume. generally on the clean channel or in the FX loop, it only adds volume. but if i try running that thing before a OD and crank the volume to the max, i can drive the OD pedal harder into the amp and my OD gets way more intense.

its a similar effect as running 2 tube screamers into each other. the added gain from 1 pushes the other.