Page 1 of 2
So I'm thinking about getting this amp for my band. We play all time low covers, which means a lot of gain, so I'm wondering if this is any good. Some people say its great others hate it, what do you think? Would it be good? I use a boss me50 and a Epiphone dot
Um what's your budget? The g series is pretty much an mg and those are pretty much hated here for a good reason. I'm guessing its not much but I can assure you can do better unless the person is practicly giving you the amp. If your total budget is 150 ish pick up a used flextone from guitar center or something and I assure you will be much much happier.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Please no.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
^ at least with this post the money is better spent

but reported anyway

Hardly. I don't think those are real Nike, they're Nikey, or Mike, or something.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Kind of sad when 70 bucks is the cheapest for crappy shoes. Anyway back on topic ts may want a bigger amp so that's why he made the thread. If this is the case just mic it and save for awhile.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Broheimufasa, didn't you already have a thread?

OT: Don't get that amp.
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
^ at least with this post the money is better spent

but reported anyway

I killed it.

Carry on.

Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by Nirvana_RATM2
Your profile says you have AC151...why would you downgrade that much?

im probably gonna get shit for this but i dont really like the amp, not for what im playing, people in my band were telling me to look into solid state marshalls. what would you reccomend, im looking to trade it for something else.
i play in a band that covers all time low like i said, i just cant come close to that sound with the vox without a bunch of noise, and my guitar doesnt seem to like the amp at all
Quote by greenday4u
im probably gonna get shit for this but i dont really like the amp, not for what im playing, people in my band were telling me to look into solid state marshalls. what would you reccomend, im looking to trade it for something else.
i play in a band that covers all time low like i said, i just cant come close to that sound with the vox without a bunch of noise, and my guitar doesnt seem to like the amp at all

Please tell the people in your band to shut the hell up.

I'd agree the AC15 isn't right for the music you want, but please, for the love of God, don't buy a Marshall G100/MG100. It would be a serious downgrade. You'd be better off just buying a good distortion pedal to pair with your Vox.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by greenday4u
People in my band were telling me to look into solid state marshalls.
What you really need are some new band members.

I'm kidding.

How much are you willing to spend? ~$500 I'd assume? Grab a Peavey 6505+ 112 or Jet City 5012.

If you are willing to go used, you might be able to grab a 5150 head and 2x12 (or cheapass 4x12) for 5-$700 bucks.

Avoid SS Marshalls like the plague; ignore what your idiot bandmates say. Same goes with Line 6's Spiders, they also suck.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
What you really need are some new band members.

I'm kidding.

How much are you willing to spend? ~$500 I'd assume? Grab a Peavey 6505+ 112 or Jet City 5012.

If you are willing to go used, you might be able to grab a 5150 head and 2x12 (or cheapass 4x12) for 5-$700 bucks.

Avoid SS Marshalls like the plague; ignore what your idiot bandmates say. Same goes with Line 6's Spiders, they also suck.

haha i had a line 6 not that long ago so i know that, and right now im trying to sell the vox for around 500, im hoping that someone will wanna just trade or something, im definitely going used, thanks, any other advice?
Quote by Raijouta
Hardly. I don't think those are real Nike, they're Nikey, or Mike, or something.

Even so....they are still worth more than the MG

I'm just messing around. The little MGs make good practice amps I suppose, especially 4 years ago.

Don't listen to your band. That is a suicide move. Do they like you? Do they want you to have good tone and stay in the band?

If you don't really use the tones of the Vox then I'd sell it and come back with:

Budget
Genres
New or Used
Home or Gig
Closest City
Current Gear
You can get a used JCM900 combo for around 550. That's the same amp the guy in All Time Low uses except he has a head and not a combo. Why on earth would ANYONE point you to SOLID STATE Marshall that's ridiculous. I do think you'd be better off getting an overdrive pedal ( not a distortion pedal ) and you'd have a close enough sound.
The people in your band don't know an amp from an anteater.

Used JCM900 is definitely an option, those things sell dirt cheap.

But really:
What you need is a new band.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard

But really:
What you need is a new band.

I was beginning to think the same thing.
Fire your bandmates. Now.

All jokes aside- and I don't mean to sound like a party pooper- but couldn't have you have just built upon your old thread? I know you mentioned in that thread that someone wanted to trade you a JCM 900 combo for your Vox. It should definitely get you in the ballpark for ATL tone (though like all 2x12 combos it would break your back), since Alex now uses the head version live (idk which exact model he uses though).

I also seem to recall you mentioning that someone wanted to trade you a Valveking head and Marshall cab for the Vox. I was able to nail a decent pop punk tone with a VK combo at Guitar Center a while back (despite the not-so-good stock speaker), so I could also see that working for you (the Marshall cab will make it sound WORLDS better, depending on which model it is).
Quote by Kikuta
Sell your Valvestate to brainless 17 year old for mighty sums of dollars. Purchase a JMP for a pittance from a desperate seller. Masturbate to pictures of yourself and your new, real Marshall. Eternal glory awaits.

Last edited by rocknrolldude43 at Apr 9, 2012,
Quote by rocknrolldude43
Fire your bandmates. Now.

All jokes aside- and I don't mean to sound like a party pooper- but couldn't have you have just built upon your old thread? I know you mentioned in that thread that someone wanted to trade you a JCM 900 combo for your Vox. It should definitely get you in the ballpark for ATL tone (though like all 2x12 combos it would break your back), since Alex now uses the head version live (idk which exact model he uses though).

I also seem to recall you mentioning that someone wanted to trade you a Valveking head and Marshall cab for the Vox. I was able to nail a decent pop punk tone with a VK combo at Guitar Center a while back (despite the not-so-good stock speaker), so I could also see that working for you (the Marshall cab will make it sound WORLDS better, depending on which model it is).

How would a peavey Windsor head do for the all time low sound? People were saying it's a clone of the jcm 800
Yeah, and stick an overdrive in front of it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Klon
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by greenday4u
How would a peavey Windsor head do for the all time low sound? People were saying it's a clone of the jcm 800

A Windsor should work just fine for ATL. Alex did use a Mesa Stiletto before and if I'm not mistaken that amp is also based on a JCM 800. However, it is single channel and I don't know how often you play clean (if at all). Unless the money you make from selling your Vox figures into your budget, you could keep it and A/B between the two amps, using the Windsor for dirty (obviously) and the Vox for clean.
Quote by Kikuta
Sell your Valvestate to brainless 17 year old for mighty sums of dollars. Purchase a JMP for a pittance from a desperate seller. Masturbate to pictures of yourself and your new, real Marshall. Eternal glory awaits.

Last edited by rocknrolldude43 at Apr 10, 2012,
They may have read about Chuck Schuldiner somewhere.
That would explain the advice of solid state Marshalls.
Some of them can sound nice if you know what tone you want
and if you can dial it in.

To the guy that said to AVOID ALL SOLID STATE MARSHULLZ CUZ THEY IS SUCK! :
Get of your high horse trying to pull that bandwagon and get a life apart from acting all smart on a guitar forum mainly populated by 14 year-olds. You probably just got your first 'all tube' amp and swear by it, eventhough in a couple of months you find that it doesn't really give you that huge wall of guitar sound
you heard on the latest verb the noun album.

Tone is a very subjective thing, not as related to quality or brand as you might think.
Solid state vs tubes...

De gustibus et coloribus...

If you can, try a couple of different overdrives/distortions on your Vox.
Maybe they can let you appreciate your written off amp.

If they don't do the trick, find a new amp the right way;
test them personally rather than take advice from someone else.
What sounds good to their ears might sound like shit to you.

Don't get distracted by 'objective' opinions on something that is most subjective.

What I'm really saying is you shouldn't ask things like that in here.
You're bound to get dissed in some way or another or disappointed afterwards for following someone else's advice.

Get out of your room, play as many amps/pedals as possible.
I got some interesting tones out of the weirdest combinations,
just by using my ears instead of my ratio.

Play that Marshall G. Maybe you really like its tone. Maybe you don't, but at least that way you know why you don't want that amp. There is a difference between the G and the MG by the way.

Cheers

FYI: I still have my old spyder. I occasionally get in a weird mood where I don't give a shit about finding my sound or the best tones. I turn it on, plug my old butchered Stagg strat in and wallow in the digital mud, make my own mud in the mud... with nothing but mud :p and I don't look back.

Wanna play music? Don't forget to PLAY. Play like a child does. Don't let nothing hold you back from enjoying yourself. Playing guitar isn't about do's and don'ts. It's saying F U to all the rules and being stubborn as hell :p

Yeah, I'm being all melancholic because I can't use my guitar this week.
Last edited by Dunkelheit-164 at Apr 10, 2012,
Quote by Dunkelheit-164
To the guy that said to AVOID ALL SOLID STATE MARSHULLZ CUZ THEY IS SUCK! :
Get of your high horse trying to pull that bandwagon and get a life apart from acting all smart on a guitar forum mainly populated by 14 year-olds. You probably just got your first 'all tube' amp and swear by it, eventhough in a couple of months you find that it doesn't really give you that huge wall of guitar sound
you heard on the latest verb the noun album.
Haha, coming from a guy who still owns a Spider. Idiot.

We don't say they suck because they're "NOT T00B!!1!1", we say they suck because they sound like an army of angry bees flying manically around a kindergartner playing a kazoo over TV static.

PS: I personally don't even like the tones of a lot of "Verb the Noun" bands.
Funny how you assume I'm the idiot here at the mere mention of that amp, "Ian".
It was to be expected. It was a trap of some sort.

I still have it in a storage room at home yes, but it isn't my only amp.
I have several other amps around the house, of various price and build quality. A nice bunch, but I actually make them all workable.

The spider is just for shits and giggles now really, but I have FUN playing through 'the shittiest amp ever'. It's like a challenge really. Sometimes trying to polish a turd is very educating. :p You can actually make it sound decentAt worst playing through that makes me appreciate my better amps even more. The others also serve their purpose;

A small no name solid state practice amp that sucks at any level of distortion,
but takes pedals really well since it has a really neutral clean tone.
I use it to try out new pedal combinations.

A modded Fender Champ that I use to train myself in playing as clean as possible, trying to make my guitar on its own sound more expressive.
A Jcm combo for distorted experiments (layering and shit, pre-vs post gain...)
And lately a Jvm stack to do all of this, but with more power, possibilities and quality.

I have refined my taste in amps over the years, choosing specific amps for their individual purposes. By trying them all out and using them in a way I want, without restrictions of any kind. I know what I want, and how to get it. I have moved on, but I don't look down on past experiences. I don't get all elitist on my beginner gear. I appreciate it for what it is. Bashing beginner gear is like telling a 3 year old that his tricycle sucks because you ride a motorbike and that's way better. To each his own.

I have these experiences with my gear, but you don't hear me prancing about telling people what's good and what's not. That was the whole point of my comment, really.
Tone/taste is very subjective, so it's simply not done to puke your restrictive views all over another person when he's looking for advice.

Lay of the dude. Don't judge other people's decisions, unless they directly affect you. Help him by broadening his horizons, not by limiting his view.

I didn't really assume you like the scene I mentioned. I couldn't give a rat's ass what you're into really. I said that simply to provoke you. Spoiling negative subjective views on another person. How does that feel? Wait! Don't tell me... I already know.
I love how you put his name in quotes. "Ian," huh? Is that your real name?

Nobody's trying to limit anyone else's views, everybody is trying to prevent people like TS from wasting their money.
I'm bipolar. I do shit like that from time to time. I made an ass of myself I guess.
The dude actually seems allright based on his profile.
All the bullshit and ranting aside, did anyone get what I was trying to say?
I wonder
Quote by CL/\SH
It actually is; I laughed my ass off at those quotation marks.

Nobody's trying to limit anyone else's views, everybody is trying to prevent people like TS from wasting their money.
Came to say the same thing.

And to add to Dunkel's Tricycle analogy:

Imagine Harley Davidson making a child's tricycle toy that's made to resemble a real Koad King complete with the fender's, headlights, a windshield, and even says "Harley Davidson" on it, but is sold at a ridiculous price of $700 (very unlikely, but just at that price to prove my point).

For the same price you could get a Honda moped which, while it doesn't say Harley Davidson on it, doesn't look cool, it still gets you places faster and is a lot more functional than the kid's tricycle that says "Harley Davidson" on it.

Same case with the G/MG series from Marshall. It may say "Marshall" on it, but it's not as functional and doesn't sound as good as what you can get for the same exact price from other brands.
Quote by Dunkelheit-164
I'm bipolar. I do shit like that from time to time. I made an ass of myself I guess.
The dude actually seems allright based on his profile.
All the bullshit and ranting aside, did anyone get what I was trying to say?
I wonder

Yep, don't stress it too much, pretty good bunch here overall.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Ian_the_fox
Imagine Harley Davidson making a child's tricycle toy that's made to resemble a real Koad King complete with the fender's, headlights, a windshield, and even says "Harley Davidson" on it, but is sold at a ridiculous price of $700 (very unlikely, but just at that price to prove my point).
Actually that sounds about right for the price of a Harley tricycle.
Quote by CL/\SH

About the name thing; it might seem paranoid, but I'm not assuming everyone's nick is their real name. You really think I'm some Mr D. Unkel, living in Heit st. nr 164?

About the advice;

Yeah, I get that.
But maybe he doesn't consider it as wasted money if it makes him happy for a while.

I mean, I don't like Mc Donalds, so I don't go there, I'd rather have pizza from some Italian. I don't tell people "whatever you do, don't go to Mc Donalds! It tastes like shit! In the end you'll thank me for tipping you about the pizza. Don't waste your money on burgers when you could have delicious pizza!"
For all I know the guy could be a die hard burger fanatic and Mc Donalds would be his idea of heaven on earth.

And mostly around these parts people won't tell you about all 'the restaurants' they know, but they'll talk you into their own favourite one.

One man's thrash could be another's treasure.

I look like an ass again now, don't I?
Last edited by Dunkelheit-164 at Apr 10, 2012,
I agree with "Dunkel". The TS did ask for opinions in all fairness but I'd bet 75% of people who rag on an amp have never played it. And the reason they've never played it is cuz someone else told them it wasn't cool to play it. To me it's a lot funner to start at the bottom and work your way up than it is to buy a Splawn before you can play a C chord
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
I think Min might beg to differ. Pretty sure he bought a SLO before he knew 3 chords

I just don't see the point in defending a shit amp for the sake of defending it. If someone thinks it sounds good, then cool, more power to them. But knowledgeable people on this forum are saying to not even bother. MatrixClaw didn't get to be a mod because he has a cool name, it's because he consistently gives out great advice and knows what the flap jack he's talking about.

TS: Which Peavey? The Classic 30? If so, yes, that is a good amp.

EDIT: Read some posts earlier in the thread, I'm guessing you were talking about the Windsor instead. Yes, that amp would definitely be a good choice for you.
Last edited by CL/\SH at Apr 10, 2012,
Quote by CL/\SH
I think Min might beg to differ. Pretty sure he bought a SLO before he knew 3 chords

I just don't see the point in defending a shit amp for the sake of defending it. If someone thinks it sounds good, then cool, more power to them. But knowledgeable people on this forum are saying to not even bother. MatrixClaw didn't get to be a mod because he has a cool name, it's because he consistently gives out great advice and knows what the flap jack he's talking about.

TS: Which Peavey? The Classic 30? If so, yes, that is a good amp.

EDIT: Read some posts earlier in the thread, I'm guessing you were talking about the Windsor instead. Yes, that amp would definitely be a good choice for you.

alright thank you guys for helping me decide
Page 1 of 2