I am a composer who has been using Guitar Pro 5 to write almost all of my music for several years. While I do it mostly for fun and to be able to hear the music that's constantly floating around in my head come to life, other people have suggested that I put some of my creations up on iTunes or a website and see what happens. The only thing I'm not sure about is the legality of this: do I have the right to sell recordings that I make with Guitar Pro? I've tried reading through the EULA, but could not find anything that looked like a clear yes or no answer to this. Is it legal, and if so, are there any requirements to do so (i.e. requesting permission from Arobas to do so, crediting them for use of the software, etc.)
Firstly it's not an audio recording, it's MIDI. Secondly, people use Reason, Pro Tools, Finale etc to create and release music. Perfectly legal.
No one will buy your music if you make files with MIDI.

Unless, of course, the potential buyer is a fan of chiptune. But, even then...

Like Andalus said, you'll need a DAW like Reason.
Quote by hriday_hazarika
Like Andalus said, you'll need a DAW like Reason.

that's what I use
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Nobody wants to buy your guitar pro exports. Torrent a DAW, get an interface and a mic, record it lofi, and then realise that still no-one wants to buy it.

EDIT: And I use Ableton, because I'm not a 10 year old making UK Garage in my basement
Last edited by willT08 at Apr 8, 2012,
Quote by willT08
Nobody wants to buy your guitar pro exports. Torrent a DAW, get an interface and a mic, record it lofi, and then realise that still no-one wants to buy it.

I made 1500 Yen with my 2-song EP.

Funny thing is, I'd released it for free.
Quote by hriday_hazarika
I made 1500 Yen with my 2-song EP.

Funny thing is, I'd released it for free.

Difference is, based on the small amount of your music I've heard, your songs were probably good.
Quote by willT08
Difference is, based on the small amount of your music I've heard, your songs were probably good.

Thanks, bro.

You're doing UGPR4, right?
GP5 has an RSE (Realistic sound engine) to make sounds like real 'instrumentation'.
May I sell a song that I created using GP5 that use RSE?
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
what refills do you have?

They the samples? Honestly, no bloody idea, and I cannae be arsed to go to college at 10 to 4 in the morning to check.

All I'm sayin is that Maelstrom > SubTractor.
Quote by dnasman
GP5 has an RSE (Realistic sound engine) to make sounds like real 'instrumentation'.

Course you can sweetheart, but RSE sounds like shit too.
Quote by dnasman

Nah, you'd have to get permission from Arobas Music. Those samples are copyrighted by them.

Even if you do get permission, nobody would buy them except Sonic Youth fans.
Quote by Andalus
They the samples? Honestly, no bloody idea, and I cannae be arsed to go to college at 10 to 4 in the morning to check.

All I'm sayin is that Maelstrom > SubTractor.

I don't use those
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
guitar-pro staff has answered my question about this. and here is their answer

Hello,

You can put on the market your own compositions made with GP. If it concerns well known songs, you've to deal with music owners directly to get a copyright agreement.

Thanks.

so, it mean i can sell music made with GP5, as long as it is my own composition.

thnx
You could sell the notation to a publishing company who may get someone else to record it and you would get writers royalties...because no one wants to by RSE or MIDI
* If my punctuation seems off, it's because my shift button is broken *
Quote by kbabz22
You could sell the notation to a publishing company who may get someone else to record it and you would get writers royalties...because no one wants to by RSE or MIDI

Yeah, this. Anyone with an ear can tell it's electronic in nature (even with RSE), couple that with the fact that there wouldn't be any vox, and overall you'd be paying more to iTunes to carry your songs then you would be making
Quote by dnasman
guitar-pro staff has answered my question about this. and here is their answer

so, it mean i can sell music made with GP5, as long as it is my own composition.

thnx

try to find some good plugins!!!

These are not great but they are still better than midi and they are legal

http://www.dskmusic.com/category/vsti-all/
Quote by hriday_hazarika
Ah, that's good, man.

I guess this means RSE is royalty-free.

Im not sure about the RSE one. I didn't ask about using RSE for commercial purpose to GP staff. but yes, the software itself is royalty-free.

Quote by kbabz22

I can slightly "damage" the sound quality to make it not sounds like RSE lol. there is 10 band master EQ and master reverb in GP5
Last edited by dnasman at Apr 10, 2012,
Quote by dnasman
Im not sure about the RSE one. I didn't ask about using RSE for commercial purpose to GP staff. but yes, the software itself is royalty-free.

I can slightly "damage" the sound quality to make it not sounds like RSE lol. there is 10 band master EQ and master reverb in GP5

As much as you can edit the overall sound individual notes and slides and hammer on/pull off's will still not sound natural and even people with little musical knowledge will be able to tell that it isn't actually being played.

You could try to sell it on iTunes but first you would have to get permission to use their samples for RSE, which is highly unlikely and if it does happen then they would want most of your royalties anyway. Also it probably wouldn't sell well since the samples themselves are not that good anyway.

Overall if you want to make any money off it then I wouldn't recommend doing this, if you just want to do it for fun and don't mind probably making a loss by doing this then go for it.
* If my punctuation seems off, it's because my shift button is broken *
Quote by kbabz22
As much as you can edit the overall sound individual notes and slides and hammer on/pull off's will still not sound natural and even people with little musical knowledge will be able to tell that it isn't actually being played.

You could try to sell it on iTunes but first you would have to get permission to use their samples for RSE, which is highly unlikely and if it does happen then they would want most of your royalties anyway. Also it probably wouldn't sell well since the samples themselves are not that good anyway.

Overall if you want to make any money off it then I wouldn't recommend doing this, if you just want to do it for fun and don't mind probably making a loss by doing this then go for it.

Guitar-Pro has a"Human Playing" feature, which would make it sounds more natural (they make timing mistakes, etc, depending on how crappy you make them)
and since I make black metal music (No, i don't worship satan lol), good quality and high musical complexity is unimportant. black metal would sound better if the quality is poor

about RSE, I've been asked about it to guitar-pro staff, but has not received a response from the guitar-pro staff. but the software itself is royalty-free, which mean i can sell song made with GP as long as it is my own composition. but im not sure about the RSE

thx