Why does everything I come up with sound like a bunch of random notes? I mean, it sounds decent, but not very musical.. Is it because the notes I choose aren't in the same scale?
no, it's most likely because the rhythms of the two licks/riffs don't go together well.
In terms of note choice, it almost doesn't matter. As long of the rhythms go nicely, then it will be grooving (of coarse, if the notes really sound bad, you need to choose better notes).
How would I go about making it more rhythmic? I don't really use a metronome when I come up with stuff, could that be it?
Yea you should really play with a steady beat. You should practice with a metronome but when your just strumming of writing licks keep a beat in your head/body/soul/whatever.
Also, try to hear beats in the world. When people talk, they speak with beats. Listen to a sentence and pull a rhythm from it. Take rhythms from rap songs. Do stuff like that. Recycle the rhythms, don't waste em!
learn the basics of music theory, plenty of internet sources, and you'll probably be fine after that. i wish i could be less blunt but i have no idea
It probably is a bunch of random notes, honestly. Most people have a really good ear for music, one they've picked up their whole lives but some can't always translate that to an instrument. There's a decent chance you can a sing a better tune than you can play on your guitar, you've lived with your voice longer.

Music theory helps significantly. That, ear training and simply learning a lot of different songs. I'd recommend learning some basic theory and honestly to just keep learning songs you like. The more experience you have the more you can translate your thoughts to the instrument.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
It probably sounds like a bunch of random notes because it is a bunch of random notes.

Develop your ear, learn some theory, and study songs that you like. Notice how their melodies build and develop. Compare that to what you're doing.

Hard to say more than that without knowing more specifics about what's going on with you or listening to you play.
Quote by Alm3ga
How would I go about making it more rhythmic? I don't really use a metronome when I come up with stuff, could that be it?

doubtful that not using a metronome has anything to do with it....

learn a bunch of songs. simple songs with simple rhythms will help you build a solid foundation to work on more complex rhythms.

also work on learning theory, it will help you with note choice more than you think. the more you understand why each note sounds the way it does in relation to the note before, or after, the easier it becomes to pick the "right" notes.

seriously this all boils down to practice more and learn more, and you will be better.
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
because what you musically express needs to be structured like a speech.
just talking doesnt work.

work on a phrase. dont jam over the whole guitar. stay in the pentatonic shape.
and stop if you start repeating too much or get unconcentrated.

I know that case. I tried to play more simple.

and you will need passion!
nobody that knows what he he wants to say has a problem with that.
learn blues. the musician start slow and get wild. but their music is like trying to find the words until they fire the notes....
look how much space is between every lick.
the more you control what comes out of your mind the more it will be the right notes you wanted to hear.
check every note! you might have to bend a 1/8 tone less. XD
no joke!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
IF YOU READ 'H' I MEAN 'B'

GERMAN H = AMERICAN B

Melodies have construction.

Structural tones, leading tones, harmonizing... it's all a lot more subtle than it looks at first glance, but is pretty easy once you get the hang of it.

Take a gander at a copy of The Complete Idiot's Guide to Music Composition. It has an excellent few chapters on creating melodies.
Last edited by CarsonStevens at Apr 11, 2012,
Quote by Alm3ga
Why does everything I come up with sound like a bunch of random notes? I mean, it sounds decent, but not very musical.. Is it because the notes I choose aren't in the same scale?

How many songs and/or solos can you play by memory? if the answer is zero, then that might be your problem.
shred is gaudy music
Quote by Alm3ga

We can't really analyse your playing if we've never heard it.... Simplest answer is just play what you hear in your head. Come up with a melody and figure it out on guitar. Humans are born with somewhat of a "musical instinct". You know what sounds good; you just haven't figured out how to play it yet.
I hate my sig