Hello everyone,

This is my first time posting on these forums, and I bet there are about 23100 topics with pretty much the same question as I have. But still I'm going to shit this place up by creating a new thread :-)

I'm looking for a new amp for playing small giggs. I currently have a Blackstar HT-5 Combo, and when I cranck up the volume to max I can barely reach the drum sound. So It's time for a new amp. ( I play mostly rock and metal )

I really like to sound comming out of my blackstar so far, So I was looking towards buying the Studio-HT40. However I'm not sure if the sound is anywere near the HT-5. The price range I'm looking for is around €500-700.

I've also been looking into the Orange Dark terror and the Dual terror. Aswell as the ENGL gig master. However the prices are about the same as the Studio HT-40 but the watts are alot less. So I was wondering if it is worth going for an ENGL or Orange but then with less watt. Are these really much better then Blackstar amps? Or do you just pay for the name on the box?

If any of you guys have another amp in mind that might fit me, please say so and I will look them up!

Thanks in advance!
If u're gonna gig it's probably gonna be mic'ed up so u should be fine. I only heard good things about the HT-5.
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
blackstar HTs are hybrid, not all-valve. if you like the tone it's not a problem, but it's worth going in with your eyes open.

so's the engl, i think.

it's hard to beat the traynor ycv50b on thomann with your budget. obviously depends on the tones you want, but yeah.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I dislike really static sounds in the distortion. Something the HT-5 does really well. The tone is awsome. When I compare them to other amps the tone is just amazing. So I'm not sure how the distortion on the traynor ycv50b sounds, can you give me a demo or discribe it? I'm looking around on Youtube but don't really find any good vids.

@Kozlic: You are right about the mic'ed up part. So you think it wouldn't be a problem with my amp at all?
i could only point you to youtube or somewhere like that, i don't own one
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If you're playing rock and metal, and you appreciate the Blackstar HT line, you probably might appreciate the HT-40. It will handle higher gain tones better than the HT-5 combo, with it's higher headroom and 12 inch speaker.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
If you like the tone of the ht-5, but need it louder, it only makes sense to get something bigger in the same line.
Quote by &baconstrips
If you like the tone of the ht-5, but need it louder, it only makes sense to get something bigger in the same line.

+1
Ibanez S2170FB Prestige + Crunch Lab
Ibanez RG1570MRR Prestige + Crunch Lab
Taylor 214CE
Peavey 6505MH + Orange PPC112 + TS9 + ISP Decimator + MXR 10-Band EQ

Watch and subscribe to my guitar ventures!
Search Nick Catelli on YouTube
Even mic'd up a low watt amp is not going to sound great for metal. For metal, you want high watts for high headroom - (ie...most of your tone is coming from the preamp).

I think it would really help us if we new what kind of rock and metal you are talking about.

I'm not a fan necessarily of the Blackstar stuff but I guess I don't have a lot of experience with them either outside of the HT-5.

Welcome to the boards.
+1 for the HT40, the other guitarist in one of my bands has that amp and it sounds sweet!....
just as another option though, if your playing metal, for similar money is the Peavey 6505+ combo.... uber gain, and 60w all tube so volume isn't a problem. i've used one for over a year gigging in all sorts of venues from small pubs to pro stages and it hasn't let me down at all! great amp!

Chapman ML2 x 2
Dean Razorback Slime Bumblebee
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epi Les Paul Custom (EMG 81/85)
ESP Ltd EC-256 (SH4jb/SH2n)
Jackson DKMG (EMG 81/60)
Epi SG Iommi
Squier Classic Vibes 50's Tele
Ovation MT-37
Peavey 6505+ 112
Thanks,

The sort of metal would be Thrash, stuff like Nuclear Assault, Kreator and so on....
How does the Peavey 6505+ hold up to that stuff compared to the Ht40 Syzee? Seeing you've got experiance with both...

@311ZOSOVHJH Now you know the sort of metal, do you've got anything in mind?
Kreator used 6505's I think. That or a dual rectifier.

Something with EL34s is more focused.

You ever hear an Ampeg VH140/SS150? They are both awesome, the SS being a little thinner and more focused. Then there is the Crate GX130 as well. Very pummeling.
Early Death is the VH140. Later Death is a Marshall Valvestate. Suffocation is the SS150.

Cannibal Corpse Bloodthirst is the GX130.

It's a love/hate thing though. You're a metalhead, I'm sure it would be love.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWH6SiSfUgw

\m/

You know you want one.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
I, personally would recommend the peavey out of those two for the sound your after. The blackstar has a great rock tone, and does easily get pushed into thrash territory with a decent pedal infront but the peavey has metal tones on tap!
They are both voiced differently with the blackstar having el34's and the peavey having 6L6's But as I said, I think for your application, you wouldn't be dissapointed with the 6505+.

Chapman ML2 x 2
Dean Razorback Slime Bumblebee
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epi Les Paul Custom (EMG 81/85)
ESP Ltd EC-256 (SH4jb/SH2n)
Jackson DKMG (EMG 81/60)
Epi SG Iommi
Squier Classic Vibes 50's Tele
Ovation MT-37
Peavey 6505+ 112
Quote by Hydro_O

@Kozlic: You are right about the mic'ed up part. So you think it wouldn't be a problem with my amp at all?

At a gig, you should be mic'd, unless the sound guy is an idiot. But for band practice, you still need to be able to keep up with your drummer.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
if its miced up, it really doesnt matter especially if its running through monitors. headroom is still needed though. but the PA will take care of volume and the monitors will take care of the stage volume.

it depends what you need to play. 30ish watts should get you wantever you need to gig with for rock. for high gain you might need more power.

a good cab can make a small amp sound big or a less powerful amp sound like a MONSTER. i plugged my combo into a marshall 4x12 for the first time and if i didnt turn around i felt as if i went from a pocket amp to a full stack.

but really, it all depends on you. if i had to pick an all around best gigging amp it would be some new lunchbox that came out recently or a more traditional fender hot rod combo. its general enough sounding to do anything, takes pedals well, affordable, common, and quality. its basically the common working mans most attainable gigging amp.

and the mofo is loud. we could never get my friends 40 watt hot rod above about 2 in the house (in a city) without neighbors complaining.
Allright thanks for the advice people.

The way it's standing right now is that I'm going to buy a new amp.

It's either going to be the blackstar HT40 or the Peavey 6505+ 112
If you insist on going new, either amp is a great choice. But if you can and/or are willing to go used, you can get a 5150 2x12 combo for the same price as a brand new 6505+ 112. Either way though, you won't be disappointed with either a 6505+ 112 or a Blackstar HT40. I personally love Blackstar's stuff and the HT5 is a great little amp. The only real thrash I play on my 5150 212 is old school Metallica and Megadeth but it does it no problem. The 6505+ 112 should be pretty similar in its ability to keep up. If you like the Blackstar tone though, you can't go wrong with a bigger, more powerful version of what you already have.
Ibanez S2170FB Prestige + Crunch Lab
Ibanez RG1570MRR Prestige + Crunch Lab
Taylor 214CE
Peavey 6505MH + Orange PPC112 + TS9 + ISP Decimator + MXR 10-Band EQ

Watch and subscribe to my guitar ventures!
Search Nick Catelli on YouTube