Page 1 of 4
LOLOL ANTI-HOVER TEXT LOL! Jokes, I don't care if you hover.

My question to you guys out there today: "African American" - how do you feel about this term? Is it better than "black"? Is it even appropriate to assume all black in American see themselves as African or American (or both)?

Of course I've never used it, but that's because I'm from the UK so it would be a bit stupid to do so. However I would still never use an equivalent term such as "British African" or anything of the sort.

WHATCHU GUYS FEEL!?

(also feel free to start all your posts with "I'm not racist, but...", it makes things more edgy)
It started as a way of saying that someone was black without hurting his/her feelings. That is the very essence of America.

But personally, I don't care. All men and women are equal, and society puts them in their place. Not something I agree with, since people should have the backbone to stay out of any zone they are put in by the media, by politicians or even by literature. True, many can stand for one the same as one can vouch for many, but I think that where there clearly was a distinction between groups of people, be it catholics or protestants, bikers or hippies, right now we live in an age where the distinction is still there, but barely noticeable since we put all blame on someones individuality, for that is the utopia shoved down our throats by the establishment.

Dang, totally off-topic there.
Quote by MadClownDisease
"British African"

Would that not just be the term for people of British ancestry but born in Africa, like many white South Africans and Zimbabweans?
I'm not racist, but I think it just sounds weird. Same thing when white Americans say that they're German because they had German grandparents or something like that. It gets even worse when people stop thinking completely and call all black people African-American, regardless of where they're from. I've heard (white) Americans call European black people African-American more than once.

On a somewhat related note, I like to tell Americans I'm mixed race because I'm part Finnish.
Quote by wizards?
I want to buy a 7 string guitar, and tune it to Cabbage.

That was on topic, I swear.
Last edited by Chromex at Apr 9, 2012,
I don't like it, It's worse when they say they're Italian american or whatever and their great grandparents were from Italy
What is your ethnicity?
Hispanic/Latino
Non-white Hispanic/Latino
Asian/Pacific Islander
Alaskan Native
African-American
White
PM me for newts
I've not read up on this recently but I think African American or Black American was a term used by the descendants of slaves for themselves after the abolition to gain recognition as American citizens rather than second class people who you're not allowed to own anymore.
When altitude dropping, my ears started popping. One more red nightmare...
I don't really know. I don't think it's my place to categorize what other people should be called.
In normal day-to-day speech I'd say black. If I was writing an article or something a bit more formal I'd write African American.
REGGIE
African American doesn't really apply to the person unless they were born in Africa and then became a citizen of the US.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
It seems a little silly to me. It's like calling all white people European Americans. It's not true and it sounds dumb.
Asian Americans hate the term African Americans.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
I'm black, but i prefer the term "hispanic", when describing myself.
Just a sub-par guitar player..

Quote by darkstar2466
Let's make this the Pit's motto:

"Forever alone, together"

IS THIS FREEDOM, OR CONFINEMENT?! FREE MOSCOE_ESPANOL!!!
Quote by StewieSwan
What is your ethnicity?
Hispanic/Latino
Non-white Hispanic/Latino
Asian/Pacific Islander
Alaskan Native
African-American
White

LOL. As many applications I've filled out, I've never noticed how it says White. Why not American? Most plain Americans are white, we make up the majority of America. Personally, I can't call myself white because I've got probably 5 different ethnicities all in my blood, maybe more.

But if Black was an option instead of African-American, Al Sharpton would be all over it. It's a shame he calls himself Reverend. He's a preacher of lies, deceit and hate.
ESP Eclipse II SW - D'Addario 11-49 Eb
LTD F-400FM - Ernie Ball 12-56 C#
Ibanez Iceman 300
Peavey Transtube 112 EFX
'African American' is still a useful term but not in describing individuals and their colour. The term refers to a people and culture. Most white people in Australia are 'Anglo-Saxon' but I just call them 'crackers' when describing their skin colour.
Quote by TH3M B0N3Z
LOL. As many applications I've filled out, I've never noticed how it says White. Why not American? Most plain Americans are white, we make up the majority of America. Personally, I can't call myself white because I've got probably 5 different ethnicities all in my blood, maybe more.

But if Black was an option instead of African-American, Al Sharpton would be all over it. It's a shame he calls himself Reverend. He's a preacher of lies, deceit and hate.

Eh more and more applications are starting to say African-American/Black, which is progress I guess.

To be honest though, I would like to eliminate the question from applications entirely. It's not allowed to ask for someone's sexuality, so why should race be any different?
PM me for newts
African American is kind of a silly term. Especially when people use it synonymous with all Black people. I remember watching a Block Party music video and my friend said "wow, I didn't know their singer was African American" and I look at them and say, "he can't be African American, he's not American" and he responds "but that's his ethinicity."

It's also silly when non-Black immigrants from Africa say they're African American, but are apparently not allowed to call themselves African American because only Black people can use it.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
African American is kind of a silly term. Especially when people use it synonymous with all Black people. I remember watching a Block Party music video and my friend said "wow, I didn't know their singer was African American" and I look at them and say, "he can't be African American, he's not American" and he responds "but that's his ethinicity."

It's also silly when non-Black immigrants from Africa say they're African American, but are apparently not allowed to call themselves African American because only Black people can use it.

I actually wish I was a white African so I could come to America and refer to myself as an African American.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Quote by Chromex
I'm not racist, but I think it just sounds weird. Same thing when white Americans say that they're German because they had German grandparents or something like that.

I have never seen a problem with this at all. It stems from the fact that America is a very very young country, and since its birth has had a connotation of being a "melting pot" in which cultures from around the world can settle down to create a new life. I see it as being very similar to other titles. Take, for example, a ghost-pirate (bare with me here). A ghost-pirate is a pirate first and foremost, that happened to become a ghost at some point (as opposed to a pirate-ghost which was a ghost that later in its ghost-life decided to become a pirate). The general term ______-American works in the same regard. It is a title used to recognize where a person draws their lineage while still acknowledging that they're an American citizen -- which was quite important in the early immigrant-heavy portions of American history. It just so happens that the trend continued and it is still being used in modern times.

All of my grandparents were born in the US (though each of their parents were immigrants from Scandinavian countries), and I still consider myself to be Scandinavian in ancestry. What's so heinous about that? What would you call the child of a Swedish couple that had moved to Mozambique? How about that child's kids? When do you make the distinction between where one draws their linage and where one lives?

By the way, this whole thing is not helped in the least bit by the trite "hurr durr, America has no culture of its own, hurr" mentality of many young folks.
Quote by jimmy hendrix 2
Don't argue with my new deity.
I think Black or Coloured are much better terms. Although coloured would have too much in it. Chinese and South-Americans are coloured too. So...
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Neo Evil11
I think Black or Coloured are much better terms. Although coloured would have too much in it. Chinese and South-Americans are coloured too. So...

Colored is almost as bad as negro/nigger, bro. If you ever come to America, do not call a black person 'colored'.
PM me for newts
Quote by StewieSwan
Colored is almost as bad as negro/nigger, bro. If you ever come to America, do not call a black person 'colored'.

I wouldn't, it would be coloured. >.> Nah ok. I have heard this multiple times on UG, but I still don't know why it is so offensive. Whites are white, coloured people are coloured. It's an objective fact. I mean nothing racist with it.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by StewieSwan

To be honest though, I would like to eliminate the question from applications entirely. It's not allowed to ask for someone's sexuality, so why should race be any different?

They're not allowed to base their job selection on gender, race, age, etc. These questions are purely for informative purposes, and you're more than free to leave them blank.
Quote by jimmy hendrix 2
Quote by Neo Evil11
I wouldn't, it would be coloured. >.> Nah ok. I have heard this multiple times on UG, but I still don't know why it is so offensive. Whites are white, coloured people are coloured. It's an objective fact. I mean nothing racist with it.

Had no idea you were this fucking stupid.

Quote by wyldething
They're not allowed to base their job selection on gender, race, age, etc. These questions are purely for informative purposes, and you're more than free to leave them blank.

Let's be honest.

I choose not to answer = white
PM me for newts
Quote by Neo Evil11

There are many more colors than black, dude. By calling black people "colored" you're making it seem like black folks are the only ones that need to be specified or excluded, and all other colors (caucasian, hispanic, asian, etc.) can safely be lumped into one cozy category.
Quote by jimmy hendrix 2
'Coloured' is bad because it implies white people are the ethnic baseline or predominant race and anything other is a modification or mutation from that baseline.

Don't get many black people in the netherlands huh?
Quote by Neo Evil11

also, white people are more pink than white, so they'd be 'coloured' too.

anyway, official uk census uses 'black british' with a sub category of either 'african', 'caribbean' or 'other' . In the US it seems like more people would fit in the 'caribbean' sub category, especially with the many white ancestors people have.

I think the whole issue is pointless anyway as identifying a persons ethnicity for any other reason than basic demographics is stupid anyway.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Quote by wyldething
There are many more colors than black, dude. By calling black people "colored" you're making it seem like black folks are the only ones that need to be specified or excluded, and all other colors (caucasian, hispanic, asian, etc.) can safely be lumped into one cozy category.

Technically black is not a color (even though there aren't any black people with black skin), but yes. It's essentially spoken segregation.
Last edited by Rockford_rocks at Apr 9, 2012,
Quote by theguitarist
^ white people are more pink than white, so they'd be 'coloured' too.

I dunno, me and one of my little brothers are like the pastiest people ever.
Quote by L2112Lif
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
I actually wish I was a white African so I could come to America and refer to myself as an African American.

I've seen it happen before. I have a friend born and raised in South Africa and she goes around calling herself an African American, but she's blonde and has blue eyes.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Quote by theguitarist
In the US it seems like more people would fit in the 'caribbean' sub category, especially with the many white ancestors people have.

No, not really. Excluding places like Florida (which understandably have a large Caribbean population), there are significantly fewer black people of Caribbean descent than those of African descent in the US. I think it's a combination of the relatively tiny population size of the Caribbean, and the fact that they are much more likely to be content with their living situation than the bulk of African immigrants.
Quote by jimmy hendrix 2
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
I've seen it happen before. I have a friend born and raised in South Africa and she goes around calling herself an African American, but she's blonde and has blue eyes.

That's amazing. She probably gets loads of " " looks when she does it too.
Quote by L2112Lif
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
That's amazing. She probably gets loads of " " looks when she does it too.

Some people actually have a brain and understand when she responds that she's from South Africa, but some Black people rage at her saying that only Black people are African American. It's also funny seeing them rage when an Arabic person who's from a north African country like Algeria saying that they're African American.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495

Quote by JayT44

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Page 1 of 4