I would like to drill a new hole for a straplock in my J&D (looks like LP). I don't know if this won't affect the sound or something. It's about the 'closer-to-the-left-hand' straplock. Is it a good idea to drill in a place where bolt-ons guitar have the metal plate and bolts behind the neck (my is set-in)? Sory for my english
Quote by n1ckn1ce
Just take off the original button and screw it there?

No, no, no. I want to screw out the original one and screw him in in a new place.
If that's where you want it. Many SGs have it there:

I'd suggest taping your strap on there first to see how it balances though.
Yes, I just don't know if I won't destroy something. Is there just a piece of wood? I want to be sure and stuff.
I'll give you pics tomorrow, I just dont have a good light now (it's eveninng) and my lamps are too lame for this (sorry)
It can be done, just make sure the screw won't come through on the other side... also, why do you want to move it there? I don't really see much advantage to it, it seems like if anything that would just make it slightly more intrusive when playing on higher frets. Balance would be about the same, right?
Yeah it will just be wood you're screwing in to. I also don't see any advantage to moving the strap button there though.
Where normal Les Pauls has the straplock is not comfortable when lift your neck up a litlle the strap un-attaches (?) itself so the guitar may fall, so I'd like to change the straplock place
Don't drill a new hole, just change from strap buttons to strap locks in the same hole. Problem solved with no drilling.
The world doesn't revolve around you. If it does, beware. You're probably about to pass out drunk.

The 19 year old who knows his stuff. Most of the time.
Quote by Zakkcd
Don't drill a new hole, just change from strap buttons to strap locks in the same hole. Problem solved with no drilling.

Yes, the problem appears when I reveal that I have a drill in a garage 20meters from home and a music store 50 kilometeres away from home. I just want to know, where to drill.
Quote by zyx32
Yes, the problem appears when I reveal that I have a drill in a garage 20meters from home and a music store 50 kilometeres away from home. I just want to know, where to drill.

Don't forget that you also have internet access
1) Straplock =/= Strap button. A straplock would solve your problem completely; you just want to move the strap button, which I imagine won't really solve your problem.

2) Ordering things from the internet is very simple. I highly recommend Dunlop Straplocks, they haven't done me wrong and I'm putting them on my current build.
Well thanks I'm gonna get somehowly the straplock but know my friends that in my country, when you order stuff by internet you have to pay for the transport and in my country it costs almost as much as the straplocks.

Also important thing is that I have made some time ago a 'home-made-straplock-but-not-really-a-straplock' thing. It unfortunatelly was screwing the screw out, than I was screwing it in and so on. The consecuence of it, is that the strapbutton (the screw) is a little loosen. So just in case, could you tell where to drill? I'm gonna make the decision (straplocks/drill) in nearest future
You can put some toothpicks a wood glue in the old hole so the screw doesn't keep backing out before you decide if you'll get real strap locks. If you're so set on moving the button (which I still don't quite understand why), there isn't any "right" spot to move it to. As long as you don't drill through to the fret board, you're good. Just find somewhere that is more comfortable and make sure the strap isn't pulling directly out on the screw.
Quote by end_citizen
moving the button (which I still don't quite understand why)

You would understand if I could show you the guitar with the strap and stuff live (in real).
Anyway, thank you all, I'm gonna figure out the rest by myself. But probably I'm gonna buy the straplock when I'm gonna have oppurunity to it.
Last edited by zyx32 at Apr 11, 2012,
in the guitar

</thread>
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699
had a blast until the person in front of me whipped out his dick and started pissing all over the floor..

Ducks and guitars or fish and guitars. I lead a simple existence
Wait... the music store is 50 km from your home. That's half an hour by car.
Just drive over there/get a lift from a friend and ask them for a pair of straplocks.
Any guitar shop will have them in one form or another.

You don't even have to bring your guitar. Just buy the parts and go home, fill in the holes in your guitar if they're too big and screw the damn things in. You don't even need a drill for that.