How would you go about removing pick noise from an acoustic track in pro tools?

I have an acoustic track and noticed that every so often you can hear my pick hitting the pickguard or lower on the guitar, is there anyway to process that out? i have the izotope rx 2 noise r removal but im not sure how to single out certain noises.
ESP LTD EC-1000 vintage black
sunburst fender MIM tele
Epiphone LP standard ebony
Mesa/boogie dual rectifier
Mesa/Boogie .50 caliber plus head
Marshall JCM900 Hi-gain MII 2500
Fender Hot rod Deluxe
Use a graphic eq to find the frequencies where the pick noise cuts through the most and then cut it out

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
If it's that prominent no external processing will effectively remove the noise, and will almost certainly be at detriment to the quality of the recording as a whole.

Your best bet is to re-record, moving the microphone until you find a sweeter position.
Quote by Aaron!!
If it's that prominent no external processing will effectively remove the noise, and will almost certainly be at detriment to the quality of the recording as a whole.

Your best bet is to re-record, moving the microphone until you find a sweeter position.

This exactly
tpt
You can only get so far with a crappy performance, like Aaron said do it again, and get it right at the source. Then you won't have to ruin the sound with post processing.
As said, you won't be able to entirely remove it very effectively... forensic audiologists might be able to remove it with some high-end spectral noise removal tools (CEDAR etc.) but that would cost a lot of money. If you really can't re-record, and just want to make it less-noticeable, your best bet would be a de-esser rather than surgical EQ.

Just set the de-esser up to act very high up (at least 8kHz or higher) and mess around with the sensitivty in monitor mode (so you can only hear what the de-esser is triggered by) until you're only clamping down when the pick attack is prominent. Then adjust the amount of reduction to a level that isn't too noticeable but removes enough pick attack.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Re-Record it and mic it up differently. Gonna be the best way tbh.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
I agree. No reason to post process. Just re-record!

...but if you DID need to (like say this was a lost recording of Kurt Cobain the day he died) then I would suggest the following:

Look for the places in the waveform where the pick noise occurs and massage them out in the waveform editor. It's a lot of work, but as I said if you were working with the flawed apartment recordings of a dead legend or something it might be worth this Herculean effort.

Some EQ could help you out, but like everyone's said, you can only do so much... Been through those hoops before.
ADELOS
POP PUNK
for fans of...

Motion City Soundtrack, Get Up Kids, Jimmy Eat World, Transit, Brand New, Dashboard Confessional, Early November, Fall Out Boy, Jawbreaker, Polar Bear Club, The Story So Far, the Wonder Years, Something Corporate.
Fix it with mic placement first, then try EQ. "Fixing it in the mix" is the worst term to ever use while recording
ESP Eclipse Standard Series W/ PRS Santana II Pickups
PRS SE Soapbar II
Peavey 5150 120w Head
Avatar 412 Traditional Cab(v30's+G12H30's)
Malekko, Rocktron, T-Rex and MXR/Dunlop pedals
Fixing pic attack with EQ is just as bad as fixing it in the mix because either way you are removing a big freq spectrum that is needed for tone as that is where the pic sound usually is (at least for me its in upper mids usually).

The only real answer is adjust your playing technique, sometimes micing different will help though. I usually don't play notes higher than the 12th fret because my pic attack sounds horrid around 15th fret and higher on all strings.
Last edited by FireHawk at Apr 9, 2012,