So i'm starting a band and we're gonna play hardcore punk in the style of casey jones, old your demise, terror, sick of it all and stuff like that. My guitar is equipped with ernie ball not even slinky 12-56 strings and i have it tuned to drop b. I found out it's harder to write songs in this style in drop b so i'm thinking we should be playing in another tuning but i don't know what tuning. Would drop d be cool? I think casey jones play in standard e but i can't imagine playing breakdowns and stuff like that in that tuning. It's just too high.
Why would it be harder to write songs in drop b?
Quote by whoomit
smoke weed chill an watvch rugrats errday
Drop B and drop D are essentially the same, but songs do at least imo will sound better in certain keys, in a certain range of pitch.

Try Drop D, but tunings are something to play around with. Standard, Eb, Drop D, Drop C, Drop B, Open tunings, DADGAD, theres loads to experiment with.
Gibson 58 RI VOS Custombuckers
Mesa Lonestar Special 2x12
i like Drop C# because it's in between Drop D and Drop C..so in my eyes, it's kinda like the best of both worlds
GEAR:

Gibson 1980 Les Paul Firebrand
Epiphone Les Paul Studio Deluxe
Ibanez RG-160b
Sx Furrian
Ibanez RG-7321
Jet City JCA20H + Bugera 212V-BK
Thanks for the quick replies. Well i've played in drop b for like 2 years now in a metal/hardcore band (which was mostly focused on the metal part) and it's a good tuning but for this style i'd prefer something higher also i think it would suit our vocalist more since he's mostly gonna shout words out. I tried drop c right now (changed the tuning in one of our songs to drop c in guitar pro and it sounds really good so i'll stick to that and try maybe something else). But like i said i've had 12-56 strings for like 2 years now on and tuned to drop b... should i be careful when restringing and tuning higher? Should i look out for the neck or something like that? Also what thickness do you suggest?
Quote by ShAd0w666
So i'm starting a band and we're gonna play hardcore punk in the style of casey jones, old your demise, terror, sick of it all and stuff like that. My guitar is equipped with ernie ball not even slinky 12-56 strings and i have it tuned to drop b. I found out it's harder to write songs in this style in drop b so i'm thinking we should be playing in another tuning but i don't know what tuning. Would drop d be cool? I think casey jones play in standard e but i can't imagine playing breakdowns and stuff like that in that tuning. It's just too high.

huh?
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
I knew i'd get responses like this. I can't play hardcore punk in drop b. That's it. Now could you please focus on my other questions?
Tuning up should be fine on any normal guitar. The majority play at E standard and really the neck should be strong enough for 11s at that tuning.

If your going Drop C, then 11s wouldnt be a bad choice. Drop D you could even go to 10s. Some ppl like them tighter, some like looser strings.
Gibson 58 RI VOS Custombuckers
Mesa Lonestar Special 2x12
I think for hardcore punk in drop D songs basically write themselves so I'd vote that way but what ever you do make sure the other guitarists/bassist get in the same tuning otherwise it's gonna get all kinds of confusing. When you decide on a tuning check the string tension and action before you decide what gauge you need if the action is too high/tension is too great then you should consider 11's or 10's but you might get away with it without changing.
SMILE!
Last edited by Mr.DeadDuck at Apr 9, 2012,
Drop D is my tuning of choice, purely because I always seem to prefer writing music in Dm and D Harmonic Minor. Think about how different scales sound and then pick the right tuning.
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Quote by JNBloomy
Drop A#, Parkway Drive style... but it's not harder to write a song in any tuning, you just have to learn your scales again or play it by ear, not hard..

Parkway Drive play in drop B.

Changing from drop B to drop D won't make it any easier to write music. If anything, the best thing to do would be to tune to your singer's vocal range.
Quote by Anon17
Parkway Drive play in drop B.

Changing from drop B to drop D won't make it any easier to write music. If anything, the best thing to do would be to tune to your singer's vocal range.

Most songs on Deep Blue are in drop Bb.
Thanks for the replies guys. Parkway drive aren't really hardcore punk, they're metalcore. But let's not get into genres and shit like this. I'm playing in drop c, already decided that. Kinda love the tuning and how everything sounds. So i have an LTD EC 1000 guitar with a 24-3/4" scale neck. Right now i have 12-56 strings on and tuned to drop b. Should i change the strings to 11-54 and tune to drop c or are 12-56 gonna be cool enough for drop c? When it comes to this kinda stuff i never want to just "try it". I am too scared to **** up my guitar so i need to get a couple of suggestions first.
you are only tuning up a half step, you probably won't **** up your guitar. I prefeer to use 11s when I play drop C, I say try both and see which you like better.
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
I'd say start in E Standard, see how it sounds with your singer and then start moving downwards in small steps until you find the best-sounding mix. There's no point tuning low just for the sake of it; if it sounds crap with your singer then it's not worth it, and simply tuning low won't make you sound any heavier/more punk/more hardcore/whatever. It's what you write that makes you sound [adjective], not what tuning you use. Some of the heaviest songs in the world were written on E Standard; some of the best punk tracks were done on obscure open tunings and Double Drop D.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.