hey guys.

My bass player is after a 4 string for playing metal and drop tuning, and i'm curious as to what basses you guys would reccomend. He has a budget of $700 AUD, and doesnt mind buying used on ebay.

cheers dudes
Quote by Mad Marius
DBZ guitars, love'em. Especially their Les Piccolo model.
yamaha rbx series.
as far as i know the 374 costs just under £300 in the uk (not sure of price differences in different countries) 700AUD is around £450 pounds for reference
DONT RISK IT, BUY A BASS AMP
Yamaha BB414 should just be within his price range. Seriously underrated basses that are great for pretty much everything.

Edit: If you're in the search of a amp, you can always just get a bass cabinet and run the bass through your Marshall head? I've had some pretyt good experiences with running my bass through marshall amps got get a gritty bass sound.
Gear:

Fender American Hand Stained stratocaster
Fender 72' Telecaster Deluxe FSR

Squier Vista Venus

Boss TU-3
Boss OD-3
Pro co Rat 2
EHX Big Muff Nano
EHX Small clone
Boss DD7
Hardwire Supernatural

Vox AC30cc1
Blackheart Little Giant stack
Last edited by Fishybones at Apr 10, 2012,
i stand by my rbx 170. honestly one of the best basses i've played. even more so considering its price. i've played the 375 which is the 5 string version of the 374 and it was rather brilliant imo
The whole yamaha RBX series are quite good basses (I love my RBX 270 and 375 to death). As Fishybones said the BB414 is good too. Then there's the usual Squier VM series as well, they'll all do the job quite nicely.

TBH the amp will have a bigger effect on the sound than the bass itself, the best basses in the world will sound like crap through a 15W behringer, but $200-$300 bass can sound great through an Ampeg SVT stack.
Quote by chatterbox272
, the best basses in the world will sound like crap through a 15W behringer,

don't i know it..
You will never have a problem with a P bass, and Black guard and black body or white body, makes it metal.
Quote by chatterbox272
TBH the amp will have a bigger effect on the sound than the bass itself, the best basses in the world will sound like crap through a 15W behringer, but $200-$300 bass can sound great through an Ampeg SVT stack.

This. there are not metal or jazz or blues or reggea basses, as there are guitars related to X genre. what makes a sound get more metal or less is the amp. Still, any good amp properly EQ'd should be able to make a metal tone, IMO.
Quote by FatalGear41
When you break a bass string, that snapping sound is the sound of six dollars going down the crapper.

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
Quote by chatterbox272
the best basses in the world will sound like crap through a 15W behringer

It does sound awesome through a 300watt Behringer.
Bobby: Luckily I'd gone upstairs to listen to her piss so I heard her shout for me to help