Page 1 of 2
http://www.wsaw.com/home/headlines/Over_600000_Macs_Infected_By_Virus__146653605.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=facebook

Quote by Dat Article

Half a million Mac users may be discovering an unwelcome surprise when opening their computers: a virus, designed to access and steal personal information.

It's reportedly the largest attack ever on the Mac operating system.

Almost 60 percent of the Macs infected are in the U.S., while another 20 percent are infected.

The virus, called the Flashback Trojan, gets into computers through Java software. It was originally found in September 2011 masquerading as a fake plug-in installer for Adobe Flash Player, but has evolved in the months. It uses Java's vulnerabilities to target Mac operating systems.

Simply visiting a malicious Web site containing Flashback on an OS X system with Java installed will result in one of two installation routes. The malware will request an administrator password, and if one is supplied, it will install its package of code into the Applications folder. If a password is not offered, the malware will install to the user accounts where it can run in a more global manner.

Once installed, the Flashback will inject code into Web browsers and other applications like Skype to harvest passwords and other information from those program's users.

Security company F-Secure has published instructions on how to determine whether your Mac is infected with the virus. Click here to see them.

Apple says it has released a fix for the virus. You can make sure your computer is protected by updating the software.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Last edited by JustRooster at Apr 9, 2012,
Quote by Portuguese_boy
Should I make a thread every time there is a new trojan for windows?

If it infects the majority of PCs out there, and rebukes one of the most bragged about selling points of Windows, I guess it'd be notable enough for you to do that
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
I checked and didn't have it so I installed the new update. Wow ts that was awful!
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by Portuguese_boy

No joke.

But mine seems to be ok, knock on wood. I haven't updated flash player in a long time.
Quote by WCPhils
I checked and didn't have it so I installed the new update. Wow ts that was awful!

This.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by Portuguese_boy

You'd get banned for spamming.

I've always been a PC guy, but I've also always realized that mac or PC they're both computers and they both do what the people who own them want; I just don't see the big competitive issue here.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by strat0blaster

I've always been a PC guy, but I've also always realized that mac or PC they're both computers and they both do what the people who own them want; I just don't see the big competitive issue here.

I wouldn't try to understand those virgins.
I find it slightly amusing how windows users are like 'mac guys are always massive fanboi douches' and then take every opportunity they can to talk about how macs suck.
RIP Gooze

cats
Quote by strat0blaster

In essence it's a matter of "form vs functionality", and the way apple charges the bajeezus out of its customers for functionality that would otherwise cost a fraction of the price. Also, the fact that Apple has horrible working conditions in their Chinese factories, the fact that Steve Jobs was a thieving douchebag, the fact that Apple's main selling point is a "lifestyle", rather than a computer, and the fact that even though Apple claims Windows works on their computers, it's rarely stable. Thus, no games.

Also, try working in video game development where half of the team has macs. You'll want to punch their screens through after only a couple of weeks due to the constant compatibility issues.
Quote by mulefish
I find it slightly amusing how windows users are like 'mac guys are always massive fanboi douches' and then take every opportunity they can to talk about how macs suck.

Sounds like another ageless debate to me...

I just don't like how the masses hobble to tech stores every time a new 'version' of an Apple product comes out. It's ridiculous. Like a flock of penguins crowding around a bucket of krill.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Quote by OVER9000VIDEOS
Everything you post just reeks of stupidity and abortion.

I'm pro-abortion so that's a good thing.
Quote by mulefish

Precisely.

Tea, sir?
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
Quote by mulefish

Well, you are fanboi douches.
Quote by eGraham
Sounds like another ageless debate to me...

I just don't like how the masses hobble to tech stores every time a new 'version' of an Apple product comes out. It's ridiculous. Like a flock of penguins crowding around a bucket of krill.

I hear this all of the time and have never actually met anyone who does this. Just because the new versions get bought doesn't mean that it's the same people who buy them every year.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by CoreysMonster

Also, try working in video game development where half of the team has macs. You'll want to punch their screens through after only a couple of weeks due to the constant compatibility issues.

games on a mac?
Quote by WCPhils
I hear this all of the time and have never actually met anyone who does this. Just because the new versions get bought doesn't mean that it's the same people who buy them every year.

That doesnt mean it doesnt happen.
Every time theres a new iSomething release there are lines going to the store just to pick it up
Quote by hawk5211
Careful dissing macs on here. You will get warned for it, just an FYI.
Just checked your record out of curiosity. You honestly probably haven't grown up very much in the four years since you've gotten that warning if you still think you got it for slamming Macs.
Quote by WCPhils
When the iphone 4 came out, as much as 70-75% of the people to buy it initially were returning iPhone users. Think I read it somewhere.
Quote by jetfuel495
When the iphone 4 came out, as much as 70-75% of the people to buy it initially were returning iPhone users. Think I read it somewhere.

Really?

Well disregard my post then.
___

Quote by The_Blode
Quote by jetfuel495

Sad to say, I actually know a guy who has had an iPhone, a 3G, a 3GS, 4G and now has a 4S.
Quote by WCPhils
Really?

One of the guys I work with is a huge Apple fanatic, always wants to do everything on Apple computers or phones and never shuts up about the newest feature Apple's gadgets have.

They exist, believe me, and they annoy both PC AND normal Mac users.
Quote by WCPhils
Really?

I'll bet the figure included those who had a previous model, skipped a few, and came back after switching for a while, but it honesty wouldn't surprise me if it didn't.

I'll only go back to an iPhone if there's an app like this Android one that backs up all your texts to email. And we get a free file manager. but cydia charges for that now.
Quote by jetfuel495

I remember someone making a thread about returning their black iphone because they wanted the new white iphone. If that doesn't say form over function I don't know what does
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
Quote by lushacrous
I remember someone making a thread about returning their black iphone because they wanted the new white iphone. If that doesn't say form over function I don't know what does

I just thought it was racist.
This, ladies and gentlemen, is why anti virus software for the Macintosh operating system 10 exists.
Even Apple wasn't so brazen as to claim that their software was as secure as many of their loyal consumers seem to think.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
MAcs can very well get viruses. There are a few dozen viruses that can ****ing destroy a macintosh.
Quote by jetfuel495
I'll bet the figure included those who had a previous model, skipped a few, and came back after switching for a while, but it honesty wouldn't surprise me if it didn't.

I'll only go back to an iPhone if there's an app like this Android one that backs up all your texts to email. And we get a free file manager. but cydia charges for that now.

I think google voice can do that. It backs up all my voicemails and converts them to text for me.

And on topic, I think this virus checks for any program that would imply the user is more than an idiot common user (like Xcode) and then won't bother installing itself if it finds anything.
Man, this is getting out of hand. I wasn't trying to say macs sucked, I was simply making the virus going around known. The Pit's gonna pit.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Page 1 of 2