I really don't understand why my abilities change massively from day to day. Some days i literally can't pick a single note without it sounding terrible to me.

I play with my fingers so it's possible it might be my technique changes slightly everyday, but the thing is on a good day it doesn't matter how i hit the strings , it always sounds okay to me.

Is it the guitar? Are my nails softer on some days?

I really don't know what to do... Any experience with this?

Quote by Karl Pilkington
Jellyfish are 97% water or something, so how much are they doing? Just give them another 3% and make them water. It's more useful."
The days you sound worse to yourself mean you are listening to your playing, and realising you don't actually sound very good. It's okay though, that's the only way you'll improve.
My stuff

Gibson Les Paul Studio
Ibanez ADC120
Tanglewood TGRF VS
Blackstar HT20
Roland Micro Cube
I've experienced that but I practiced and practiced to master it.
I've mastered finger picking through watching tutorials in youtube. I took up the lesson about guitar scales and blues. it improved my skill in executing original or self made guitar solos , I also like finger-style, I learned about it through Sungha Jung if you don't know him yet you should check out his videos.
I experienced this a lot when actually playing the drums. some days I could play really well, others I just sucked.

For me I just took the good with the bad and tried to pinpoint what I was doing on the good days vs the bad days. Sometimes it just came down to my mood and how I was feeling before playing that made a big difference.
For 'Ultimate Guitar' Members: I wrote an ebook called "The Ultimate Guide To Playing The Guitar".

If you'd like a FREE copy of it, you can do so by Clicking Here
Quote by lfcagger
The days you sound worse to yourself mean you are listening to your playing, and realising you don't actually sound very good. It's okay though, that's the only way you'll improve.

^this, but everybody has good days and bad days, just keep practicing
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.