So i'm really confused. Aren't modes a scale in a different key, if so, why do they have different names? Or are they the same thing as differenet scale patterns?
This is going to be a very brief description, but I'm sure you can find more info in the Musician Talk sticky (if there is one). But anyways...
Let's start with a key, a key signature tells you what notes are regularly sharp or flat in the piece. Each key consists of seven tones (discluding octave or 8th note), and the key can be interpreted in any of those seven ways. Usually it is displayed as Major (Ionian) or Minor (Aeolian). Let's say we are in A Major/Ionian with F#, C#, and G#.
The modes/scales in ascending order are:
A Ionian
B Dorian
C# Phrygian
D Lydian
E Mixolydian
F# Aeolian
G# Locrian

To be honest, modes are completely useless to regular musicians besides major and minor. Hope that helps.
Quote by MadsH
So i'm really confused. Aren't modes a scale in a different key, if so, why do they have different names? Or are they the same thing as differenet scale patterns?

Scale - Any set of notes.

Key - Harmonic context of a song which has a very strong pull to the tonal center. Nearly all songs are in keys.

Modes - A different harmonic context, get a handle on keys first. Alternatively the name is used for "scales", which as noted above are simply a set of notes and nothing more.

Scale pattern - A pattern of dots/crosses/whatever that you visualise on the guitar. Alternatively a recipe for creating scales (eg. major scale pattern WWHWWWH)
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud