My guitar stays in tune fine but I noticed that when I tried the notes at the 12th fret, they were all sharp (some considerably). What does this mean?
Quote by BudBullets
My guitar stays in tune fine but I noticed that when I tried the notes at the 12th fret, they were all sharp (some considerably). What does this mean?

Your intonation is out. Depending on what type of bridge your guitar has, you fix this in different ways.

Assuming you have a standard fixed bridge guitar, you simply use an allen key to adjust the little saddles on each string. Adjust it until the open strings sound the same as the note on the 12th fret.

If you have a locking trem, or another type of trem system, it is more complicated.
Gibson SG
Peavey 6505
Jet City JCA20H
Mesa 2x12

"They found her body, face down dead in the rain,
Such a shame,
Such a pretty face, never should have felt this pain"
Black Stone Cherry <3
Great. Thanks. I have a strat knock-off. So, I'll monkey with the saddles a little. It's never been adjusted for the 10+ years I've been pounding on it. I noticed my g string sounds a little dead too.
If you have never done a setup before and the guitar is ten years old i'd bring it to a guitar tech. It costs around $50 at your neighborhood guitar center but plenty of musicians do it for cheap if u know someone.
Welcome to the world of the guitar. The guitar is an imperfectly intonated instrument, even when you intonate it correctly . But it sounds like you need to get it re-setup properly by a trained technition.
"grateful is he who plays with open fingers" - Me

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!
TS, seems like you made a new friend!
Quote by luxeion
i keep asking my dad for wood. but he keeps getting annoyed (he's working on a house). and i'm too young to go outside.

What you're describing is an intonation issue.

Intonation basically refers to the guitar being in tune with itself - if you're not intonated properly then the guitar will be sharp (or flat) as you go up and down the neck. It's very important to intonate properly when you're recording or playing with a band otherwise it will sound terrible.

Most guitars are slightly off perfect intonation - as are nearly all instruments when it comes to tuning, you just have to learn and determine how much is too much. Also make sure that you intonate with fresh strings because otherwise it's completely in vain.

By the way, intonation changes are usually made by adjusting the bridge and sometimes the nut or neck...

FURTHER READING!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intonation_(music)
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=guitar+intonation