Okay, so I just bought a Fender Modern Player HSS Strat. I already know I want to switch out the pickup but I'm not sure if I should get the Super Distortion or Super 3. I want to play Rock and Roll, not classic rock, modern rock and roll but on the heavier side (check out Zeke, Supersuckers, Gluecifer). I know the Super Distortion is the original Rock and Roll pickup but I do like some metal and occasionally like to play it. Essentially, what I'm asking is, is the Super 3 a good rock and roll pickup? I've read reviews saying the Super Distortion is not a good metal pickup, I'm just wondering if the Super 3 can get at least fairly close to the Super Distortion's rock and roll tone.

I have an Orange Crush PiX CR35LDX. I know that's not the greatest amp for metal either but I love the rock tone, and I'm on a serious budget. I have played on and off for quite a few years and ended up having to sell most of my equipment (money issues) so this set up right now is the beginnings of my new set up.
In all seriousness I doubt a pickup swap is going to make an awful lot of difference through an Orange Crush - certainly if money's an issue it's a long way from being the most cost-effective use of your funds. If there's something you don't like about the sound then a pedal will make far more difference, but anything you buy will be limited in how much it can help by the amp - the sensible thing to do is to bite the bullet and live with it until you can afford to replace it, but a pedal may do the trick if you need a quick fix.

In short, if you're on a serious budget don't waste money on pickups.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I've actually considered taking it back to GC and getting the Fender Frontman 2X12, mainly for the extra power and the price difference is minimal, I know it's not the best either, but I like the tone relative to the price, and 100 watts is better than 35. I know that yeah, it is a cheap amp but it's just a quick fix until I can get something newer and it's not a huge budget constraint but I can't be spending hundreds extra. I was also planning on getting an overdrive pedal as well as a wah, so the overdrive was already planned when I asked this, it's just yet again, I don't have a lot of extra cash currently. I'm still thinking about returning the orange, for the price, I like the tone a lot but the lack of wattage was something I was concerned about, I should have gone with my gut.
The difference between the Super 3 and the Super Distortion is minimal. A while back I was going through a phase of trying every DiMarzio pickup, since until then I'd only used Seymour Duncans, and when it came to the higher output ones it was really hard to tell the differences between a lot of them. The Super Distortion, Tone Zone, Super 3, Dual Sound and D Sonic in particular sound so similar that there's not much point pitting them against each other. They will all do the same job and the tiny differences between them will only be apparent if you compare them directly side-by-side and if every other element of your rig is as transparent as possible. I mean, in a band mix, through any amp and in any guitar, you would not be able to tell the difference between the Super 3 and Super Distortion. So don't worry about it too much. Grab whichever pickup is easiest and cheapest for you to get hold of. If anything, for a Strat I'd use the Tone Zone.

but steven seagull's completely right, until you have a higher-end amp there's not much point bohering with pickups. Swapping pickups is what you do to tweak your tone after you've got a good foundation laid. Get the rest of your rig - especially the amp - sorted out first.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
You're not going to get any better advice than the what Flibble and Steven have offered you, brotato.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
DO NOT GET THE FM. Also, high output pups through ss/modelers usually ends up with a wall of undefined harsh fuzz.
i have a crappy amp the marshall mg 100 fx hd. i have a charvel with a super distortion in the bridge pos.. and i use a rocktron metal planet stomp box and a boss mt-2, when i really want a good metal tone. and because of the pedals, i get good......mabey not awsome, but doable tone from a bad amp. so take seagulls advice and get a good distortion pedal
epiphone gothic lp
ibanez arc-300
epiphone traditional pro lp
vox ad100vht head.
vox cab
Quote by Bassman8675
I've actually considered taking it back to GC and getting the Fender Frontman 2X12, mainly for the extra power and the price difference is minimal, I know it's not the best either, but I like the tone relative to the price, and 100 watts is better than 35. I know that yeah, it is a cheap amp but it's just a quick fix until I can get something newer and it's not a huge budget constraint but I can't be spending hundreds extra. I was also planning on getting an overdrive pedal as well as a wah, so the overdrive was already planned when I asked this, it's just yet again, I don't have a lot of extra cash currently. I'm still thinking about returning the orange, for the price, I like the tone a lot but the lack of wattage was something I was concerned about, I should have gone with my gut.

If you have 35 pieces of dogshit and somebody gives you 65 more, are you really any better off?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
If you have 35 pieces of dogshit and somebody gives you 65 more, are you really any better off?

Best analogy ever. Bravo good sir.
PRS SE Custom 24 w/ Seymour Duncan JB and Jazz Pickups
Squire Classic Vibe Stratocaster

Digitech Bad Monkey

Pignose 7100 Legendary Amplifyer