Page 1 of 2
I have a good friend in our band he's our rythm guitarist/singer. Real cool guy, funny, energetic, however his singing is atrocious, along with his lyrics... and he is not a real good guitarist. He tends to play the electric like an acoustic, and plays all strings when he strums and can't mute. Dreadful. Anyway, my drummer and I are fed up with it. Our Lead guitarist is even closer to him than my drummer and me. So we know he won't have the backbone to admit we're right. How can we get this guy out. He is holding us back tremedously.
Quote by cpt_pimp
my last fail was breaking up with my gf.

that's going to suck for a while

Quote by leg end
Well, not really haha!

"I'm kicking you out of the band because I don't care about having a good time anymore and the band is more important than our friendship"
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
Show him this thread, just "accidentally" post it on his facebook page or something :P
In this case, it's strictly business. Just give it to him straight. That's how it has to be.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Why not persuade him to get guitar lessons?

Learn to sing yourself? Or write your own lyrics?

You know, things that won't kill your friendship with this guy and make you band better
WARUM TUT ES WEH, WENN ICH PINKLE?!
Quote by goest
I'm going to take this opportunity to initiate my campaign to replace the phrase "Taking a shit" with "Busting a grumpy."

Quote by Axelfox
Disregard that,i suck cocks.
I think what I'm most worried about is our lead guitarist getting mad at me and my drummer for this conclusion, and leaving the band with him because they are so close as friends.
Quote by cpt_pimp

Quote by leg end
Well, not really haha!

All of you should continually make sexual advances towards him. He'll be so freaked out that he'll leave of his own free will.
Quote by Monolith295
Tobysaurus is one sexy man.

Quote by Kensai
I think I love you Tobysaurus!

Quote by CFH82
God damn, you've given me a boner Toby!
Have a new try with him...Tell him to improve his guitar skills, improve his voice. Maybe motivation is problem, talk with him. With talking you can resolve any problem, in the end if you can't agree or it's seems, that he is ruing your band, tell him it is time to move on.
Cort x6
Aster LK-630
Amplitube and Guitar Rig user
John Frusciante fan 4 life
Quote by Vendetta16
Why not persuade him to get guitar lessons?

Learn to sing yourself? Or write your own lyrics?

You know, things that won't kill your friendship with this guy and make you band better

I am the other singer. We both write lyrics and songs. I don't want to sound like I have a big ego, but I know my lyrics and songs are better than his. I work on mine harder spending A LOT of time figuring flow, timing melody, and other important aspects. He thinks that his stuff is perfect, but it is NOT.

He insists on singing and he even knows I'm the better singer. I believe its all about control.
Quote by cpt_pimp

Quote by leg end
Well, not really haha!

I talked to him about his issues before. However, our lead says "he's fine".. yet again I think he has no backbone to admit his good friend SUCKS....
Quote by cpt_pimp

Quote by leg end
Well, not really haha!

I say you start a new band with no friends, so the business aspect don't get in the way.
Quote by jetfuel495
What if he just accepts? Then he'll never leave.

Then they can convince him to leave to focus his time on their new sex gang.
Quote by Monolith295

Quote by Kensai

Quote by CFH82
Give him an acoustic or something?
or maybe you could write songs together then you can show him things like song structure and melody.

Regarding his strumming you could always teach him a few things; but it's pretty much your fault if you started a band with a novice.
Talk to him about it, let him know exactly why he can't do it. Offer to find a temporary replacement and encourage him to get better. As soon as he's up to par and still interested, let him back in. If not, make him your merch guy.
Just it explain it to him like you've explained it to us. Make sure you let him know that it's nothing personal, and that he needs to develop his skills or find people at his level of skill to play with. If he's hurt, he'll get over it in time.
Quote by Four Tet
but it's pretty much your fault if you started a band with a novice.

agreed
Quote by cpt_pimp

Quote by leg end
Well, not really haha!

Whatever you do, don't let it come out of the blue. How often do you guys give him pointers on his playing? Because if you've never mentioned anything like that before he's gonna make a fuss about you backstabbing him. Make sure he knows what's coming.

And when criticising, be constructive.
To remain free of confrontation, start a second band with your friend and remain in the old one. Problem solved. Derp.
Quote by tobysaurus
All of you should continually make sexual advances towards him. He'll be so freaked out that he'll leave of his own free will.

What if doesn't? huh? Then what?

WHAT IF HE SAYS YES
Quote by Basti95
What if doesn't? huh? Then what?

WHAT IF HE SAYS YES

My previous post covers that eventuality.

Quote by Tobysaurus
Then they can convince him to leave to focus his time on their new sex gang.

Quote by Monolith295

Quote by Kensai

Quote by CFH82
I'm going to have to agree with Four Tet's advice: don't start bands with novices. It'll make a great group of musicians into a poor-sounding band.

Encourage him to seek improvement in his vocal and guitar skills, if not for the band, then for himself for his future music career.

Consider the following: the best way to improve both of these is by actually playing in a band. Since you actually maximize the experiences you need to be a decent musician, letting him stay might help him find his calling as a musician.

Ask who you want to help, your band or your friend.
Make this subtle hint next time you see him: If he stands next to an open door in band practice, raise your leg up and push him out with your foot. Be gentle though, you don't want to hurt his feelings.

Then slam the door.

Totally subtle, he'll understand what you mean and you can all meet up for a drink later as bffs.
Quote by jetfuel495
What if he just accepts? Then he'll never leave.

So that's like having a band and having free anal sex. TS can't say no to that.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by jetfuel495
How terrible are you at guitar? Wanna join my band?

Wait.. will I be on the receiving end or do I get to give you anal?

You mean the first right?
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by jetfuel495
Dude what the hell man I just need a second guitarist

Oh...

I can't play the guitar I'm sorry. I can blow a whistle though.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by jetfuel495
Yeah I'll bet you can.
It really is a simple instrument.
Queer.

I have been too long in the anime thread apparently.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Stab him in the shoulder. That'll learn 'em.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Page 1 of 2