I have a strat style guitar that has a ground wire connected to the tremolo plate, when I took the pickguard off it's not connected to anything. I tried touching it to the vol/tone pots and nothing. does it connect somewhere else?
It goes to back of the volume or tone pot.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
I've tried that on both and nothing. It worked before I took the pickguard off. I touched it to each one before I'd solder it and nothing.
Be a bit more clear in your explaination.
What isnt working?

It should function fine without that wire, although be fairly noisy.
The whole point of grounding an electric guitar is to stop EM leakage and unwanted noise.
You aren't going to notice any difference until you actually play the guitar.

Also, using a ground wire isn't going to solve this issue of noise unless the entire guitar is shielded too. Copper shielding on the bottom of the pickguard around the controls and pickups, and then conductive paint on the control cavities and the pickup routs. That is the only way to make a guitar truly silent.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.