I've recently started up guitar again after not playing for a year, I want to start from scratch I want to do everything right this time around, so I need some help and guidance from experienced players, I like rock, metal and acoustic.

Where should I start? Basic Theory? Scales? Songs?
Well you start with basic chords, maybe just play the major and pentatonic scales for practice warm up. As time goes by you need to start playing barre chords and figuring out root notes on the 5th and 6th strings. Once you realize what you are going to play and how you want to sound, your style, then you can keep working to meet more specific goals. Find a good teacher that you can relate to and you will get so much better.
Don't focus too much on songs once you get the basics down it opens up so many songs. Don't exclusively use tab either its good to know more about the relation of the notes and common sequences.
a teacher would be good

but you should focus on all of it, learn some theory, practice chords, and don't listen to the guy above who tells you not to focus much on songs. learning songs gives you something to find more interesting. sorry but just playing scales and learning theory is probably not why you started playing.

basically learn some theory (scales are actually part of theory), some songs, and you should also learn the notes along the fretboard.
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
I recommend using a song based approach to learning the guitar. That is, you pick a few songs you would like to learn, and learn the basics, chords, etc.. that's needed to play those song. This way you're learning the things you need to learn on the guitar in a practical way.

The guitar sometimes reminds me of math at school. I use to hate learning things in math that I couldn't see any future relevance or application for. But if I could how it could be applied in the "real world" I enjoyed it much more.
For 'Ultimate Guitar' Members: I wrote an ebook called "The Ultimate Guide To Playing The Guitar".

If you'd like a FREE copy of it, you can do so by Clicking Here
Quote by ginahaggins
What should be the first song that a beginner should learn?

depends, what kind of music do you listen to?
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
The first song a beginner should learn is going to depend on the genre of music they like.

The first few songs I learned, and I recommend people learn are:

1. Last Kiss by Pearl Jam
2. Wild Thing by The Troggs
3. Bad Moon Rising by CCR
4. Good Riddance by Greenday
5. Save Tonight by Eagle eye Cherry

There are obviously more, but this should be a decent starting ground.
For 'Ultimate Guitar' Members: I wrote an ebook called "The Ultimate Guide To Playing The Guitar".

If you'd like a FREE copy of it, you can do so by Clicking Here