Sup guys, looking for some distortion advice. First, I'm looking for a good, extremely high gain distortion pedal for metal. I'll be using it with a Jackson King V with EMG's and an EMG AfterBurner into a JCM800. Preferably enough gain to play anything from Saxon to Pantera. I've been looking at the EHX Metal Muff and it seems fine, but how will it sound on a gig level and through multiple cabs? Because I'll use it for my own band (bit of a progressive thrash style stuff)

I'm also looking for a good pedal to get some nice rock tones. Sure, I've got a JCM800, but I use it for clean tones and don't really want to change it because I prefer playing my own material above others, but I still want a good classic rock sound from blues to something like Guns N' Roses or AC/DC. I've been told about tube pedals for this, is this a good idea? For this music I'll use my Gibson SG with passive pups. Any recommendations?
dude, if you got a JCM800 just buy a good overdrive pedal. Whack the level up to full and the gain on your amp up to full and metal out!

i use a JCM 800 and boost it with a DS-1(yes its a distortion not an OD) which gives a tremendous amount of gain.

however the best tone i have found if with a blues driver. you can boost the amp with it to get some really thick sounds while keeping the gain on the amp at a reasonable level. With the pedal off you can still keep some classic rock tones.

i dont know what model you have, but try putting the Jackson through the high sensitivity input to get even more gain out of the amp.
My Rig:
Maverick F-1, Ibanez RG1527, Schecter Omen 8
Marshall JVM 410H,
Hand built 4x12 w/ V30s
Current board:
PXL LIVE
TU2
WHAMMY IV
MXR M132
MXR M101
TIMMY
NS2
MXR M108
XOTIC EP
TC DREAMSCAPE
DL8
Why do you really need one with that setup? I may be wrong but doesn't a JCM800 have enough gain for all of that. Maybe a Maxon if u really need one. Do you know how to set up your amp? seems somewhat bizzare lol
i use it for clean tones, in a live situation i cant change the amp controls right there...
^ Pantera tone was very high solid state gain.

A Tube Screamer maybe?

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Marshall Class 5C
Emperor 4x12 Silver Bells
Yamaha THR10
PRS Swamp Ash Limited Custom 24
LTD Viper 500 with Duncans
As I said I don't know much about JCM800s because I am a Vox guy but doesn't it clean up at all? It has a channel and master volume or not? I like Catlinbread pedals btw.
Right I just had an idea. I don't know whether this will work but I'll try it out for you and let you know.

Put an ABY foot switch in between your guitar and amp. Each of the outs goes to one of the inputs and you a now instantly have a 2 channel JCM800......
My Rig:
Maverick F-1, Ibanez RG1527, Schecter Omen 8
Marshall JVM 410H,
Hand built 4x12 w/ V30s
Current board:
PXL LIVE
TU2
WHAMMY IV
MXR M132
MXR M101
TIMMY
NS2