Hi guys, can anyone recommend me a good set of passive humbuckers? I have a PRS SE Singlecut with the stock humbuckers, and it isn't cutting it anymore.

Heres some info:

Genre: Metal (Trivium, BFMV, Stone Sour, Slipknot, Black Label Society etc)
Guitar: PRS SE Singlcut
What I'm looking for: Passive humbuckers

I want humbuckers with a lot of low end while still being tight and punchy, I play mostly rhythm guitar.

Any and all advice is appreciated, if you need more info let me know.
for heavy distortion, I'd go with the Seymour Duncan SH6-Distortion Mayhem(name says it all)...amazing distorted/overdriven sound BUT they tend to distort clean sounds a bit
Dimarzio have a thing on their site that recommends a pickup, try that. Look into Duncans, if you have the money I hear BKPs in a PRS sound amazing too.
Quote by metaldood91
Hi. Can someone tell me which guitars are real 24 fret guitars and which are just 22 fret guitars with 2 extra frets added on?

http://www.youtube.com/user/Joeseffel

Quote by smcstoronto1234

So very true...
Mad house design. Shoot Rayne an email with what you have and what you want to achieve and he'll hook you up. Incredible pickups for an insanely cheap price. You won't be disappointed.
If you have the money to get a powerpack installed into your guitar, go for a crunch lab. That thing is amazing. If it's good enough for John Petrucci it's good enough for anyone. And it's affordable... (Like £75 I think?)

Just might cost you a bomb to get installed. I have one local guitar shop, so they have no competition, so for me it'd be like £100 to get installed. It's disgusting I know, but if you're in the same situation, that's a big selling point.

If you can get the installation cheap, I can't see a reason not to. (Unless you don't wanna have a load of wood cut out of your guitar, which I totally understand)

I'm a huge fan of crunch lab.
Blackstar HT-5 mini-stack
Ibanez Tubescream TS9
Ibanez RG3EXFM1

Quote by lucky1978
If you're just playing at home or with friends, do it dude. Chicks dig stacks! Crank out some Metallica and do a couple of single moms!

I ask many questions.
Duncan JBs
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
Before recommending pickups, shouldn't we know what amp he's using? From his profile, he's using a micro cube. Do you really think that a $400 set of BKPs would be an enormous waste of his money?

My advice? Save up for a new amp. Your stock pickups might not be as bad as you think.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Quote by DarthV
Before recommending pickups, shouldn't we know what amp he's using? From his profile, he's using a micro cube. Do you really think that a $400 set of BKPs would be an enormous waste of his money?

My advice? Save up for a new amp. Your stock pickups might not be as bad as you think.

I'm getting a new amp soon-ish. I also use this guitar for the school jazz band. We play jazz, Jackson 5, funk all that sort of thing too. I use their amp for that.

This is more of a pre-emptive thing so that when I get a new amp I'll have the pick ups I want already.
Well, most of the bands you listed if not all are using a set of EMGs, but I recommend Bare Knuckle pickups then. I'm so impressed, I'm probably going to put them into my next few guitars because they have a great variety from vintage output and voicing all the way up to whopping 21.5 K output in their hottest pickup (all of them being passive alnico or ceramic pickups). I'm not sure on how accurate the clips on their website are, but they give a good idea of what they are capable of. Keep in mind, they are probably playing into very nice tube amps and have nice recording equipment to capture the sounds.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
i say bad move. you may buy an amp and it already gives you the tone you want. yes pickups are important, but PALE in comparison to the amp. the amp is the most important thing you can do for tone. the next is our rig (pedals, etc). then your guitar and everything on it.

save up and spend the money on an amp. then if your not getting the tone, buy pickups. you cant paint without a canvas. your telling yourself you want to buy tubes of paint and brushes then wait a year for your canvas.

another question is - how ofter do you play without your own amp? i mean if your playing at school etc 10+ hours a week or like every day, ok. justified. what amps do they use? decent ones?

again, if your school is using bad amps, really, even good pickups wont do that much good. a bad amp is going to really kill tone from anything i dont care if is a PRS through Klon pedal.
The lack of D Activators suggestions here is disturbing.

TS, get DiMarzio D Activators. They work best as a set, not mixed and matched.

EDIT: Also, BKP's are overrated. They're very specialized that simply are not necessary most of the time. Any other "shelf" pickup can honestly get you 90% of the way there. BKP's are good if you have the money to spend on them, and you have gear good enough to let all of their subtle nuances shine through. If you have average gear, SD's and DM's will get you there.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Apr 15, 2012,
Quote by ikey_
i say bad move. you may buy an amp and it already gives you the tone you want. yes pickups are important, but PALE in comparison to the amp. the amp is the most important thing you can do for tone. the next is our rig (pedals, etc). then your guitar and everything on it.

save up and spend the money on an amp. then if your not getting the tone, buy pickups. you cant paint without a canvas. your telling yourself you want to buy tubes of paint and brushes then wait a year for your canvas.

another question is - how ofter do you play without your own amp? i mean if your playing at school etc 10+ hours a week or like every day, ok. justified. what amps do they use? decent ones?

again, if your school is using bad amps, really, even good pickups wont do that much good. a bad amp is going to really kill tone from anything i dont care if is a PRS through Klon pedal.

An hour a week through the schools amp, assuming that the other kids in the combo show up for rehearsal, if no one shows up then never, which seems to be the case lately. The school has a Fender Blues Deluxe reissue if I'm not mistaken.

I already know the setup I'm getting, and my friend has the exact same one and we jam on it fairly regularly.

EDIT: I'll for sure look into D Activators
Last edited by Charvel1995 at Apr 22, 2012,