Hello all, I was just thinking about my board and trying to plan purchases and such, and figured it might be fun for y'all and interesting to see what you all think. These are long term purchases so no worry about $$ (you'll probably see that with some of my ideas already). I enjoy Mayer/Hendrix style most, but definitely drift into alternative/indie rock. I'll probably write everything down and save all the suggestions y'all give and dissect every one of them as they come in. I'll most likely try out everything I can get my hands on from your suggestions. Have fun, enjoy and thanks!

Currently, my set up is: Guitar (Schecter C1 E/A Semihollow) > TC Polytune > Crybaby Wah > Phase 90 > DD1 delay > TC Flashback > Carbon Copy > Boss SD1 > TS808ri > amp (Crate VC50 3x10)

I'd like to get a tremolo pedal, preferably with a tap tempo option. You guys have favorites? Boss has one but I'm leaning toward the Fulltone Supatrem. Don't really know what else is out there off the top of my head.

I NEED a tap tempo delay. Things I'm considering, not in order, are the DMM, JHS Panther, M9 (though I don't need something that can do 10000 things other than delay...), DL4 (though I didn't vibe with it the last few times I tried it), TRex Reptile 2. What's your favorite tap delay?

On the topic of delay, one of my absolute favorite sounds is Tape delay. Probably the best I've heard was the Strymon El Capistan. I'm dying for one of these, but I know there are others that are probably WAY cheaper, and probably with tap tempo. I really wish they had an option to line in an external tap. If you have experience, impart?

I'm looking into the POG2, EQD organizer and possibly the HOG. I don't know crap about these other than that with a good analog delay they are CRAZY cool! Thoughts?

I also want to pick up a UniVibe. It was called to my attention that the Rotovibe is more chorus and the Uni is actually a phase... I like analog phase/vibe. Just cool. BUT I don't know a whole lot about these either.

Pretty sure I'll be upgrading my Wah to either a 535Q or a CAE. I'll figure that one out when I get there, but I'm more than willing to take opinions on what else to try.

Boost. I have wanted to pick up a Keely Katana for a while, but now with the TC Spark boost out there, I'm not sure. It looks like it could do the Katana and more... Also thinking about the Xotic EP Boost as well.

Drive... this is a never ending crap shoot... Full Drive 2, Xotic BB Preamp, Xotic EP Plus, Lovepedal Eternity, Lovepedal Amp11, TRex Yellow Drive... the list goes on... and on... and on... This will likely be a rinse lather repeat thing.

I hate that I can't find one to try out, but I think I'm gonna pick up a Dumkudo OD/boost. Its a Japanese boutique pedal. Supposedly does clean/grit/dumble/klon type sounds in an excessively addicting way. Worth a look. On the topic of Klon, what is a Klon clone type thing that you guys like, that wouldn't pay for an entire rig?

I don't have a Fuzz. I feel like I need one. The ZVex Fuzz Factory and JHS Mini Foot Fuzz are probably where I'll be starting. I don't think I knew enough about fuzz when I first tried the EHX Russian Big Muff, so I pretty much decided I didn't like it... Might go back and try the BM's again. What is your favorite fuzz? I'll be doing a lot of research on this one as well as looking for a lot of opinions for what to try out.
ΦΚΣ

Life is short. PLAY LOUD!
Last edited by bpdeem at Apr 9, 2012,
Tremolo: Neither of the ones you mentioned have tap. The closest to my old BF Princeton's trem in pedal form was the Diamond Trem. Catalinbread Tap Semaphore is also supposed to be good. Both have tap tempo and retail for $250.

Delay: MM4 isn't a delay, dunno why it was included. DMMw/TT is probably the best tap tempo analog delay, IMO. I've got a Diamond ML2 and it's just too dark. Strymon Timeline is a pretty fun do everything delay. Sounds better than most of those types. Best analog delay I've ever had is the Echoczar, but no tap tempo and it's very expensive when you can find one. Nothing cheap sounds like the El Cap. If that's what you want, you get it or settle for something that doesn't sound near as good.

Uni-Vibe: Yes, at it's heart it's a very asymmetrical phaser. Good ones to look into are the DryBell Vibe Machine, FoxFox Aqua Vibe, Sweet Sound Mojo Vibe, Fulltone Deja Vibe, etc. Most are pretty good, just have different features. DryBell was my fav solely for size reasons.

Wah: I don't really like the 535Q. The CAE is a much nicer wah. My favorites I've ever owned are the Teese RMC, Castledine and Keeler Stretch. Just really depends on what you want out of your wah.

Boost: Catalinbread Super Chili Picoso

Drive: Lots of options, you need to be more specific with what you want. As for the Dumkudo, just buy a Hermida Mosferatu. The Dumkudo is an overpriced clone with a clipping switch. It does not sound ilke a Klon. At all. None of them sound like a Dumble. I dunno who makes a Klone that sounds like my Klon. I built a few up and while the clean boost tones are similar, the OD tones are all pretty different.

Fuzz: I definitely would not start with a Fuzz Factory. And wouldn't support JHS out of principle (even though the Foot Fuzz is boring as hell). This again really depends on what you want as there's a wide variety of stuff available.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Last edited by mmolteratx at May 9, 2013,
Wow!

Yeah, I guess I totally forgot the Supatrem wasn't tap. So far its 1 of 2 I've tried that wasn't directly on an amp. Probably why I put it up there. Thanks both of you for the suggestions there.

DL4 yeah, not the MM4. I'll make the edit in a minute. THANKS! The Timeline is definitely on my radar. I think I am just not wanting to restrict myself to one brand. Got lots of great feedback and is extremely tempting. MIDI might be good to have on board in the future anyway.

Phasers noted! I've only actually heard of the Deja Vibe. Looks like lots of fun to be had there.

Have heard of the RSC but always forget about it. I don't know that I've ever seen one in the flesh, that could be part of it too. I remember the 535Q being fun to demo but that was about it. Haven't heard of the Clandestine or Keeler Stretch. Are all the ones you suggested true bypass? Richard, not totally sure... I'll say it this way, I am not a fan of the Morley Bad Horsie if that helps. I'll take Dunlop style most any day.

Super Chili Picaso,,, I already like the name. Haven't heard of this one either but Catalinbread is awesome from what I hear. Hermida Mosferaty? I'll be looking into both for sure.

Yeah, I know the drive market is WAY over saturated... Warm, very responsive, musical, rich harmonics and sustain, and organic are all words I'd like to think I'd use to describe my ideal OD. I think they're in most of our descriptions and 1 single OD may never encompass all of that. Probably more of that comes from the amp anyway. I usually set my OD's so that they're past being just a boost but not much more. I tend to keep things pretty mellow and then stack stuff together. In my current set up I switch the amp to drive and use the 808 for more drive and the SD for boost on top. The 808 is great as a boost, but I don't feel like it'd be worth it if that was all I was using it for.

SO glad to hear someone has experience with the Dumkudo!!! Thanks for averting an expensive tone let down.

As far as fuzz, I feel like its a sonic layer that I'm missing. I don't really know how else to describe it. I guess something to really fatten things up and give an edge that traditional OD won't accomplish without stepping into metal pedal/distortion territory. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think MXR makes a distortion/fuzz that seemed to get some good review. I'll have to double check on this one though...

Thanks for the responses! I have some "Where's Waldoing" to do!
ΦΚΣ

Last edited by bpdeem at Apr 9, 2012,
Possibly oscillating, sputtery velcro style. That sounds like an interesting palette to work with. Though, Hendrix/Page style sound good. I know I'm not alone when I say I'm a glutton for vintage sound and tone.
ΦΚΣ

The Super Chili Picaso sounds like its the one! It has a huge range compared to most boosts and I like the clean/grit/buffer mode options. Same price as the Katana too!

The Jack Rabbit and Semaphore both sound real cool!

Not gonna lie, I might run through the whole Catalinbread site and end up with a real bad case of GAS!
ΦΚΣ

Quote by bpdeem
I don't have a Fuzz. I feel like I need one. The ZVex Fuzz Factory and JHS Mini Foot Fuzz are probably where I'll be starting. I don't think I knew enough about fuzz when I first tried the EHX Russian Big Muff, so I pretty much decided I didn't like it...Might go back and try the BM's again. What is your favorite fuzz? I'll be doing a lot of research on this one as well as looking for a lot of opinions for what to try out.

The Russian Muff is surprisingly non-fuzzy sounding. When I've used it for guitar it's more of a dark overdrive.

I love the Superfuzz and many of its clones, as the originals usually go for $300 or more. Boss FZ-2 (my favorite), Black Cat Fuzz, MJM China Fuzz, Leeds Fuzz if you wanna make it yourself.

Or you could try the NYC Muff, which is fuzzier than the Russian ones. I would also highly suggest the Way Huge Swollen Pickle.
I really recommend the Cattybread stuff. They're a great bunch of guys and all of the pedals are super high quality for great prices. Plus Nic and Howard have some the best ears in the business for really putting the finishing touches on pedals. They just had a really big sale this last weekend where some of the pedals were up to 40% off before retailers got mad and made them raise the discounted price.

If you're into the whole Page thing, you really need their RAH. Awesome pedal. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIQp1WRXP8s

And Keeler/RMC/Castledine are all true bypass. But TBH, I wouldn't fuss too much about bypass type. It really isn't as big a deal as people make it out to be. And converting a non TB wah to TB is simple if you decide you need it.

For the drive, a Mosferatu sounds pretty perfect for you, though it isn't the most dynamic pedal I've had. Also look into the Honey Bee OD, Himmelstrutz Fetto and maybe others.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Ok so both the Catalinbread Octapussy and Manx Loaghtan sound CRAZY cool! Really diggin their stuff. IDK why I haven't looked into them more before now.

I guess I was right on about the Russian then. I did think it was way dark and too bassy. I didn't expect the Boss fuzz to be up there in the ranks. They make good stuff, but it usually gets out done quickly. Adding a bunch of fuzz to my list of stuff to look at. I haven't heard of most of these! Superfuzz looks cool. I had seen it, just not committed to memory. Forgot about the Swollen Pickle too. Way Huge stuff is pretty darn good.

Fetto's all look cool. The Honey Bee OD looks amazing! THANK YOU for this suggestion! I'll have to try to get my hands on one of these.

I do believe that this is what forums are all about!
ΦΚΣ

Ok, I'm probably about to get myself into trouble for even asking the question but... what about the oscillating velcroish quite possibly octaving fuzzes? I know there's the Octapussy, OctaFuzz and a few out there. You guys have artists to point to or brands that do these well? Just curious on this one. Not sure if its something I'd really want to add into the mix of stuff that already has me wanting to spend thousands on just pedals, haha!
ΦΚΣ

The usual nasty velcro fuzzes are the Fuzz Factory, stuff from Devi Ever, Fairfield Unpleasant Surprise, the Shin Ei designs, etc.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Sounds like a Fuzz Face or Fuzz Factory would be right up your alley. The Fuzz Factory can cover much any fuzz tone, it has a knob to control the voltage so you can get softer, low voltage vintage sounding fuzz like Purple Haze, or get modern heavy fuzz tones. Adjusting the gain and pickup volume can get some convincing Zep tone too. Go try one! Also, a 535Q wouldn't be much of a step up from a regular Crybaby. I'd stay away from Dunlops unless you're going to mod it.
Sounds like I'll be getting a mainstay fuzz and then a "flavor of the week" fuzz. These all sound like a lot of fun to mess with, but mostly because for me this is uncharted territory. Seriously like what I'm hearing about the Catalinbread Manx Loaghtan!

Edit: forgot to mention I might have dreams about the RAH tonight. WHOA!

Yeah, I think I've all but ruled out the 535Q without even going to plug into one. The CAE, RMC, Clandestine and Keeler Stretch seem like they're gonna be a close call, but all way above Dunlop. I've considered modding mine for the time being.
ΦΚΣ

Last edited by bpdeem at Apr 10, 2012,
Try getting an octavia for your Hendrix playing. He used it on Purple haze (that tinkling sound nearing the end). It allows you to play an octave higher than you are already playing. Try it out. Not sure how much of it he used on stage, but he did use it occasionally in the studio.
Quote by Page_Man224
Try getting an octavia for your Hendrix playing. He used it on Purple haze (that tinkling sound nearing the end). It allows you to play an octave higher than you are already playing. Try it out. Not sure how much of it he used on stage, but he did use it occasionally in the studio.

E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT