Hey!

Alright so I have been looking for a new amp for Gigging, and Home Practice.
I have basically came down to two amps that I find superb: Peavey Valveking 212, or Blackstar HT-Stage 60 2x12.

850-900$ is my cash limit.

I have tested out the Peavey Valveking at my local music store. But, I cant seem to find a Blackstar around my area. I might have to drive into the city to test one out. But, Im also thinking about getting some pedals (Volume pedal, delay etc etc) The two styles that I main play are Metal (Dream Theater, Metallica, Satch, Govan), and Jazz for my schools Jazz band.

But my question is which would you recommend?
Both amp from what I research sound amazing...

Thanks
Any other recommendation are welcome too!

Quote by Gunpowder
Thrashturbating? Most metal of all ways to pleasure oneself.
Last edited by maximumrocker at Apr 9, 2012,
I would recommend the Blackstar in this case. The Valveking is pretty solid but you would need to replace the speaker, possibly the ot, and get an overdrive pedal. I would also recommend building a new cab for the Peavey if you were to get it, and internal mods would be good on top of that. The Blackstar would be much better stock, and with mods, far better. Unless you like the tone of the Peavey stock beyond belief, or like projects and can use a soldering iron, get the Blackstar.
Both are too loud, unless you use the emulated out of the blackstar, in which case the balackstar.

Personally, I would go for a nicer, lower wattage amp. You can always mic up right? or maybe a rack?
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
I like the blackstar but you'll have to change the tubes in it so factor in another £40 for a pair of JJ ECC84S tubes and a pair of JJ E34L's :P
Quote by anvil is god
I would recommend the Blackstar in this case. The Valveking is pretty solid but you would need to replace the speaker, possibly the ot, and get an overdrive pedal. I would also recommend building a new cab for the Peavey if you were to get it, and internal mods would be good on top of that. The Blackstar would be much better stock, and with mods, far better. Unless you like the tone of the Peavey stock beyond belief, or like projects and can use a soldering iron, get the Blackstar.
What mods can you do to Blackstar's HT series?
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Quote by Emperor's Child
What mods can you do to Blackstar's HT series?

I have no clue, but ødds are pretty good that you can improve on it somehow. I actually own a VK, i was speculating about the Blackstar. Good amps though.
Blackstar has a lot of solid state stuff going on inside it so that might be problematic but yeah, my blackstar is pretty good, I'd imagine the HT-60 is better cranked, although, I personally wouldn't get one in your situation. Does it need to be a combo or do you already have cab(s)?
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Last edited by Emperor's Child at Apr 9, 2012,
For the price range you've mentioned, I would highly recommend looking at the Blackstar series one 45w combo. It's a better quality amp than the ht60, sounds a lot better too. And one really useful feature that swung the decision for me when I had to choose between the two is the power reduction feature, which lets you vary the power anywhere between 4.5w and 45w. Means its great at home and out gigging.
^ That sounds like a good idea. There are other amps that do the same though.
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
I'm a big fan of Blackstar's clean tone. I can imagine you could get a nice warm sound out of it for Jazz.

Aswell as a nice metal tone which Blackstar is known for (Or atleast, I know it for). I'm a huge fan of Blackstar in general, I think they're really well made amps. Just go easy on the gain, 7/8 is enough for Slipknot-esque heavy. So just remember to keep that down abit.

That being said, I've never played a Peavey which I havn't been impressed with.

Maybe not the most helpful insight, but its another insight none-the-less.

Quote by Nyakon
For the price range you've mentioned, I would highly recommend looking at the Blackstar series one 45w combo. It's a better quality amp than the ht60, sounds a lot better too. And one really useful feature that swung the decision for me when I had to choose between the two is the power reduction feature, which lets you vary the power anywhere between 4.5w and 45w. Means its great at home and out gigging.

Actually I second that. The series one blackstar line is amazing. I've played a Series one 100w head and thought it was amazing. If the 45w combo is anything like that you can be sure it's lovely sounding. And as he says, the variable power will be nothing just useful. 45watts is a lot for home.
Blackstar HT-5 mini-stack
Ibanez Tubescream TS9
Ibanez RG3EXFM1

Quote by lucky1978
If you're just playing at home or with friends, do it dude. Chicks dig stacks! Crank out some Metallica and do a couple of single moms!

I ask many questions.
Last edited by Into Exile at Apr 9, 2012,
Quote by Nyakon

Forgot to put USD

1400-1500$ is a bit out for me at the moment

Quote by Emperor's Child
Blackstar has a lot of solid state stuff going on inside it so that might be problematic but yeah, my blackstar is pretty good, I'd imagine the HT-60 is better cranked, although, I personally wouldn't get one in your situation. Does it need to be a combo or do you already have cab(s)?

I have no cabs

I had a crappy Line 6 Spider III that I sold to get some extra cash for upgrading

Quote by Gunpowder
Thrashturbating? Most metal of all ways to pleasure oneself.
Is the 1x12 Valveking an option? I've owned one, and it was more than enough wattage for gigging. You can also find those used pretty commonly. some new tubes, an OD pedal to boost it, and maybe a new speaker, and you have a really good amp on your hands for under your budget. Although I will admit that I am biased, I hated how the Blackstar amp I played sounded.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
Mesa will nail those sounds better, find one used. Nomad, F-50, Rectifier, Mark series...

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Marshall Class 5C
Emperor 4x12 Silver Bells
Yamaha THR10
LTD Viper 500 with Duncans
^this the mesa f-50 is a hell of an amp.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.